November Topic - Pastor Supprt

  • Kathy Viele
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
      NOVEMBER 2006

      Welcome to new members of Dre-talk. My name is Kathy and I manage this
      list for NPCD (National Association of Parish Catechetical Directors). NPCD
      is part of the Religious Education Department of NCEA.
      www.ncea.org/departments/religioused Department of Religious Education,
      NCEA www.ncea.org/departments/npcd for the National Association of Parish
      Catechetical Directors (A professional organization for Parish Catechetical
      Leaders) . You are professional Religious Educators - consider joining NPCD.

      Generally from September to May, a topic is posted every month or so as a
      discussion starter, not as a discussion limiter. (members are free to post
      on any subject relating to faith formation or directing and/or coordinating
      Religious Education Programs in parishes.)

      NOVEMBER TOPIC: "Support From Pastors" How do you interact and communicate
      with your pastor? Do you have regular staff meetings? Is he present and
      visible when RE is in session or has a special activity? Let's hear about
      the positives, the less than perfect, and dreams for the future.

      BECAUSE OF VIRUSES, FILES CANNOT BE ATTACHED TO YOUR DRE-TALK MESSAGES.

      Thanks to those of you who have already downloaded files to the web page.

      WHEN THEOLOGICAL ISSUES AND DISCUSSIONS EVOLVE, TRY TO LIMIT YOUR COMMENTS
      TO WHAT CAN BE OF PRACTICAL USE IN OUR MINISTRY. THOSE WHO WISH TO HAVE
      DEEPER/ONGOING DEBATES CAN USE THE CHAT ROOM FORMAT.

      Some of the topics discussed over the past month include: Parent
      Participation; Sacrament Preparation - Meeting Families Where They Are;
      Rosary Blessings; Using Mass Media To Teach Religion; The Baylor Study.

      If you missed any of the above they messages can be viewed by "thread" on
      the group web page.

      REMINDERS FOR ALL MEMBERS: ALL emails sent to DRE-talk go to over 500 group
      members. This and other egroup lists have a default so that when you receive
      an email from dre-talk and wish to reply to the sender, both the "send now"

      and the "send later" buttons go to the entire list. To send an individual
      reply to the "sender" of the email, you must "manually" cut and past that
      individual recipient's email address in the address line and delete the
      Dre-talk

      address. Otherwise your reply will go to all 500 of us even if it is a
      "Thank You" to a specific person.

      NEW MEMBER INFORMATION AND REMINDERS

      Dre-talk is an egroup list that is part of Yahoo. They are the ones who, at
      no cost to us, distribute our mail and put the ads on our messages. They
      also provide us with other services that include our own Home Page. In order
      to access the Dre-talk Home Page and web features, members must register
      with Yahoo as well as subscribe to Dre-talk. The web address for our egroup:
      haven't. Then log in. Once you are logged in you will see a list of groups
      to which you subscribe. Click on Dre-talk and follow the directions to
      change your subscription or click to access the other features. If you have
      friends that wish to subscribe, click here
      dre-talk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      The main feature is the LIST. Most of you receive individual emails of each
      message. If that is too much mail for you, you may want to switch to the
      daily digest (all messages for the day sent in one email), or to web-only
      access.

      A Reminder: Please refrain from passing on stories, prayer chains,
      etc.unless they are directly related to what we do as Catechetical Leaders
      and DRE's or can be used for Catechetical Formation in some way.

      FILES is the place where files with lesson plans, meeting agendas, prayer
      services, etc., can be uploaded. Posts have been organized and edited on
      Catechist Issues, Children's Liturgy of the Word, Children With Special
      Needs.

      Confirmation Issues, Parent Handbooks, RCIA for Children, VBS, and Sharing
      Space Issues for easier reading. Files with Prayers for Meetings with
      Parents, a Bible Presentation Service and Information on Multiple
      Intelligence are also

      available. Any member can add files with lesson plans, workshop
      ideas,stories to use, etc., to the files.

      ON VIRUSES File Attachments are not allowed on emails to this group.
      Information in a file can be uploaded to our web page. Depending on the
      underlying software on your individual computers, some members may have
      trouble deciphering downloaded attachments. Original posts are still in the
      archives. There have been 8500 posts since the group began in March 1999.
      These can be viewed by thread, topic title or by date on the Home Page.

      LINKS has links to publishers, resources and websites that may be helpful to
      Religious Educators. Feel free to add your favorites.

      There is a POLL feature that can be used to pose questions to the group and
      record and tabulate the results.

      CHAT is a chat room. If someone wants to organize a chat, feel free to do
      so. Set up a time and topic and post it to the group. Make sure you let us
      know what time zone.

      ADDRESSES FOR RESOURCES

      Post message: dre-talk@yahoogroups.com

      Subscribe: dre-talk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      The above should help you make better use of Dre-talk. If you are unable to
      access any of the features, please email me off list at Katveee@....

      Fall Blessings to All!!

      Kathy Viele, Dre-talk Moderator

      Beatitudes of Our Lord Catholic Community

      13013 So. Santa Gertrudes

      La Mirada, CA 90638

      562-943-5678

    • Tom Craig

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
          Great Topic!

          Support? Yeah, he supports me - but by letting me do whatever I want
          - within reason. Very rarely does he or our associate pastor stop by
          during any of our 7 faith formation sessions. They will come to a
          classroom for a specific discussion, give a tour of the church and
          even come during Advent and Lent to offer confession to the students,
          but they do not greet the students/families or drop in the classes.
          Our former pastor would at least stand in the hall as students arrived.

          They do help me when problems with students/parents/catechists do
          arise. And I do get extra attention when the youth leave a mess after
          a lock-in.

          We do have pastoral staff meetings, but they are often useless.
        • lemonpie1420
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2006
            My pastor is wonderfully supportive of all that I do and of our youth
            and children in general. We have staff meetings every two weeks and
            at least half of the agenda items are mine. He is not physically
            present at our intergenerational faith formation sessions, nor was he
            ever at CCD. But, our kids know him and love him because he gives
            them hugs at church and talks to them at coffee and donuts. He
            sometimes even chaperones overnight trips with our youth group. In
            general, he leaves the faith formation to me and my team. All in all,
            I think he's one of the best around!
            carla