Burning Issues

  • micheleiw
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 13, 2006
      As we begin this new year of handing on the faith, I imagine many of us have issues and
      concerns. For me it is the continuing formation of catechists. What are your issues?

      This weekend the bishops invite us to celebrate Catechetical Sunday. How are you
      celebrating this weekend? Has anyone found ways to animate the whole Assembly to
      embrace their responsibility to be lifelong learners and witnesses? This year's theme is
      "Who do you say that I am?"

      Thanks so much for your input!

      Michele

      Also, as this year begins consider the benefits of belonging to the National
      Association of Parish Catechetical Directors, the sponsor of DRE-talk. NPCD is committed
      to excellence in catechesis through networking, empowering and representing PARISH
      catechetical leaders. Check the website
      http://ncea.org/departments/npcd/index.asp

      Michele Idiart Walsh
      St. Joachim Church
      Hayward, CA
    • Tom Craig

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 13, 2006
          I am still waiting for one more teacher. I have my 15yo dd to teach the
          K-2nd class, I have two moms that are going to alternate teaching the
          3rd-5th grade classs and noone for the 6th-8th grade class.......we were
          supposed to start RE this Sunday but I postponed until 24 Sept.... I may end
          up postponing until 1 Oct or just let parents know that currently there are
          only classes for the K-5th ages as there is no volunteer.

          Renee in Garmisch Germany

        • pries@dioceseoflansing.org
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 13, 2006
            Those catechists are public ministers in the church. I imagine each of
            them makes time to fulfill their other roles in life. They need to
            gradually imagine ways to do the same for their role as catechist.

            -Perhaps you could do an hour of formation and an hour of business
            for a beginning of the year catechist meeting.
            -Perhaps you could include in your program schedule a couple weeks
            when the students do not come but the catechists come for a formation
            session.
            -Perhaps a couple sessions could be scheduled during the summer.
            -If your diocese does a diocesan catechetical conference, perhaps
            your parish could pay the registration fee for those of your catechists
            who would be able to go.
            -Perhaps other parishes in your vicinity are experiencing the same
            challenge you are. Could you work together with other parish catechetical
            leaders to provide formation for a cluster of parishes or even an entire
            vicariate or region?
            -It sounds like you need to build, gradually over time, a culture
            of willingness to pursue formation. This will be a difficult process but
            the role these people play requires the effort. Not everyone will agree
            to formation. But over time, some will. Those who attend formation
            sessions first may influence others to attend later.

            Give this your best effort. Leave the rest to God

            Pete Ries
            Diocese of Lansing
            Director of Evangelization, RCIA, and Adult Faith Formation

          • Joyce Donahue
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 13, 2006
              Tom, our diocese allows catechists to obtain local formation in a variety of
              ways that should fit reasonably into their lifestyle. Besides our diocesan
              initial formation day and in addition to local instruction by the DRE or
              through regional events, we also encourage and accept:

              1. Hours spent attending parish or regional adult faith formation -
              assignment of which category the hours go in is up to the local DRE. This
              can include attendance at parish retreats, local bible study, events with
              speakers, small faith sharing groups, etc.

              2. Independent or small-group study. We provided with our diocesan
              curriculum several bibliographies of books and videos they could use -
              either alone or in groups. Catechist then turn in a short written report to
              their DRE -- or even study at home and then meet with other catechists for a
              small group process, then write up what they learned and how they will apply
              it to their ministry. The number of hours granted, and the application of
              those hours to learning categories is up to the local DRE, but normally I
              suggest 3 hours credit for a "normal" sized book - based on the fact that a
              presenter would generally take a half-day presentation to provide the same
              level of content.

              3. Online learning. Our diocese is a member of the Dayton Online Virtual
              Learning Communities for Faith Formation (VLCFF) - so anyone in the diocese
              can take a class for a reduced fee of only $40. Learning takes place any
              time, day or night, over the internet. Even if your diocese does not
              belong, the price for these classes is reasonable.

              All of these, at least theoretically, allow catechists to learn where they
              are, when they can, within the context of their busy lives.

              Joyce Donahue
              Diocese of Joliet

              _____

              http://ncea. <http://ncea.org/departments/npcd/index.asp>
              org/departments/npcd/index.asp

              Michele Idiart Walsh
              St. Joachim Church
              Hayward, CA

            • kispert
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 13, 2006
                We finally have a DRE who is taking over Preschool-8th grade and RCIA. I
                have the High School people and now working toward young adults.

                I am concerned. I am burned out beyond belief and tonight is simply the
                first class. I pray, I pray and I pray some more, and still I feel
                inadequate and unimportant in this ministry. This is burnout, but I refuse
                to walk away from the kids and their lives. So I ask myself, would anyone
                really care if I left because we would have no ski trip, no mission trip?

                Our lives are stretched too thin, and maybe we need to re-evaluate a
                religious education program that no one wants to teach in? I believe with
                every fiber of my being that young people need a place to talk about their
                faith, be with member of their faith community and learn how to live a
                Catholic Christian life. What does that say about us, as adults who aren't
                willing to teach them?

                Shawn
                > I am still waiting for one more teacher. I have my 15yo dd to teach the
                > K-2nd class, I have two moms that are going to alternate teaching the
                > 3rd-5th grade classs and noone for the 6th-8th grade class.......we were
                > supposed to start RE this Sunday but I postponed until 24 Sept.... I may
                > end
                > up postponing until 1 Oct or just let parents know that currently there
                > are
                > only classes for the K-5th ages as there is no volunteer.
                >
                > Renee in Garmisch Germany

              • Donna Francisco
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 13, 2006
                  Everyone has good thoughts and legitimate concerns. As much as we want to say that they should be willing to continue their education just as they do for work, it doesn't fly when they have such busy lives. Monday night, we hosted a dinner and inservice for 20 or our Pre-K through Elementary catechists - 7 came. It was very discouraging. We do pay their registration to the Diocesan Catechist Seminar in the fall, but again - very few come. It is difficult - if not impossible to keep up with the Diocesan recommendations for certification. Many of the Catechists are in it only while their child is in.

                  For sure, one of the best things we can do is strongly encourage regular attendance at weekend Liturgy. There they will be fed by the Word and the Eucharist. Reaching them through videos, books, articles and even Sacramental Prep sessions help as well.

                  Let us all hang in there and affirm each other. Hopefully, that is the way to avoid burn out and to keep on going for God.

                  God Bless you all!
                  Donna

                  <DIV><EM><FONT face=verdana color=#a94a76 size=4>Seek first the Kingdom of God!</FONT></EM></DIV>
                  <DIV><EM><FONT face=Verdana color=#a94a76 size=3>Donna Francisco</FONT></EM></DIV>
                  <DIV><EM><FONT face=Verdana color=#a94a76 size=3>Director of Faith Formation</FONT></EM></DIV>
                  <DIV><EM><FONT face=Verdana color=#a94a76 size=3>St. Stephen Parish</FONT></EM></DIV>
                  <DIV><EM><FONT face=Verdana color=#a94a76 size=3>Grand Rapids, MI  49506</FONT></EM></DIV>

                • Mary Fran
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 13, 2006
                    Several years ago I "bit the bullet" and required that all of our catechists
                    obtain their diocesan certification. It was a bold step. Many told me it
                    would not work, but it did work, and our program is much stronger for it. I
                    have over fifty-five catechists, all certified becuase I offer the classes
                    here, and offer them many other opportunities to be nourished. The other
                    side of that is that since I am requiring this of them, I also pay them per
                    class/contact hour with the students. Their stipend depends on their level
                    of certification and years of experience. I believe that we owe that to
                    them. Some use their stipend to pay their children's tuition, but they are
                    free to do with it as they wish. I firmly believe that we should never
                    dictate another's charity, but that in justice we should pay them for their
                    time and talent.

                    I have some teachers who teach back-to-back classes, and several are
                    teaching three or four classes (same grade level). Sometimes you just have
                    to make that commitment to the teachers and to the faith we hope to hand on!

                    God bless us, one and all!
                    Mary Fran

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 13, 2006
                      Friends,

                      Anything I have to say on this topic is from the ivy-covered walls, so
                      what I offer is from my heart. Please know that nothing I might say is
                      meant as a criticism of what anyone is doing.

                      I understand that Shawn is burned out and I understand why, I think. In
                      this, I'm sure she speaks for many parish DREs and coordinators. You
                      feel like you are carrying the entire burden of the faith formation of
                      the children of the parish on your shoulders. You are overworked,
                      underpaid, understaff, and poorly appreciated. (That's why I work so
                      hard on the Catechetical Sunday materials, to show how much I
                      apprieciate you and hope the parish will show the same feelings.)

                      (1) None of this will change if we continue to think of catechesis as a
                      course of study done in classrooms for children for between 25-30
                      sessions a year--if we are lucky and don't have to also do child
                      protection training! The only way this changes is if we find a way to
                      help the parish begin to take responsibility for the faith formation of
                      their children.

                      Let me be real clear here: in doing this I don't mean that we jump on
                      the Whole Community Catechesis bandwagon where we do large group,
                      intergenerational classes. I have no problems with that, but it doesn't
                      address the critical issue. We must find a way of helping the parish
                      know its responsibility and act upon it. Hiring you does not fulfill
                      that responsibility: the parish and the pastor still have to care. Your
                      job is to make the program work, the parish and pastor has to make the
                      parish become vibrant and alive. You have a role in that, you are not
                      responsible for that.

                      (2) As a parish catechetical leader you have to become more
                      professional. You have to get the necessary training, you need to learn
                      how to recruit and modivate catechists. Don't blame the people for not
                      showing up (don't blame yourself either), evaluate your communications
                      to see what you told them. Did you make them feel wanted, and loved, and
                      needed? Did they know that this was a must attend or did they think it
                      was a come if you want? The long term solution is (see #1) is to start
                      to nurture a group of catechist and form a small Christian community
                      with them. Treat them like they royalty, tend to their spiritual needs.
                      Think long term. You need to get to a point where you are recruiting all
                      year long for future catechists. Get others recruiting for you. The
                      suggestions of training ideas work, but don't be afraid to simply have
                      pot lucks or coffee and donut sessions where you talk among yourself
                      about what is happening and what you can do better.

                      Okay, my rant is over. Sorry about that, but you hit a sore spot.

                      Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you in a special way during
                      this coming weekend as we celebrate Catechetical Sunday throughout the
                      country. If you get a chance next week, let us know what went right.

                      With Great Appreciation for all you do,

                      Dan

                      Daniel S. Mulhall
                      Asst. Sec. for Catechesis and Inculturation
                      3211 4th St. NE
                      Washington, DC 20017
                      202-541-3097
                      202-541-3390 (fax)
                      dmulhall@...

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 14, 2006
                          I have one idea that I am going to try this year. I am going to email my
                          catechists informative articles and links. I am praying they will read them
                          and educate themselves.

                          Renee in GArmisch Germany

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 14, 2006
                            I work under the auspices of the Military Archdiocese. They are asking
                            that all catechists be certified by Sept 2007. I'm not sure how it's going
                            to work as every summer our parish population is in transistion. Many folks
                            are not moving to their new locations until mid-late August. AFter finding a
                            home, unpacking and all the other "fun" of relocating folks are exhausted
                            and the last thing they're going to want to do is take classes to
                            volunteer.........
                            I am going to take myself and my 15yo daughter (my K-2nd grade catechist)
                            through the program at home this year so I have an understanding of what it
                            entails before I present it to my catechists.

                            Renee in Garmisch Germany

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 14, 2006
                              Thank you Mr. Mulhall, your advice and insight is great.

                              dmulhall@...<mailto:dmulhall%40usccb.org>
                              >>> "RENEE GARDINER" <ReneeSuz82@...<mailto:ReneeSuz82%40msn.com>> 09/13/06 3:47 PM >>>

                              I am still waiting for one more teacher. I have my 15yo dd to teach the
                              K-2nd class, I have two moms that are going to alternate teaching the
                              3rd-5th grade classs and noone for the 6th-8th grade class.......we were

                              supposed to start RE this Sunday but I postponed until 24 Sept.... I may
                              end
                              up postponing until 1 Oct or just let parents know that currently there
                              are
                              only classes for the K-5th ages as there is no volunteer.

                              Renee in Garmisch Germany

                              As we begin this new year of handing on the faith, I imagine many of us
                              have
                              issues and
                              concerns. For me it is the continuing formation of catechists. What are
                              your
                              issues?

                              This weekend the bishops invite us to celebrate Catechetical Sunday. How
                              are
                              you
                              celebrating this weekend? Has anyone found ways to animate the whole
                              Assembly to
                              embrace their responsibility to be lifelong learners and witnesses? This

                              year's theme is
                              "Who do you say that I am?"

                              Thanks so much for your input!

                              Michele

                              Also, as this year begins consider the benefits of belonging to the
                              National
                              Association of Parish Catechetical Directors, the sponsor of DRE-talk.
                              NPCD
                              is committed
                              to excellence in catechesis through networking, empowering and
                              representing
                              PARISH
                              catechetical leaders. Check the website
                              http://ncea.org/departments/npcd/index.asp<http://ncea.org/departments/npcd/index.asp>

                              Michele Idiart Walsh
                              St. Joachim Church
                              Hayward, CA

                            • Margo Morin
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 15, 2006
                                Well I've mulled over Dan's rant a bit and it certainly made me
                                think. I totally agree that faith formation needs a serious overhaul,
                                and that the fact that we end everything at Confirmation sends a
                                message to all our families that it's over on Confirmation night. But
                                it's been my experience that although there are plenty of DRE's who
                                are happy to walk the CCD rut of 24 classes, read and pass, fill out
                                the worksheet, and send 'em home, the ones who experience burn out
                                ARE the ones who are striving for professionalism. We burned out ones
                                (oh yes, me toooooooo) have fought the fight to get quality training,
                                to support our catechists, to set up committees, to tend to the needs
                                of our people, to find quality curricula, to get our parish to pay
                                for good training for the volunteers- we ARE the ones who left our
                                husbands in bed to get to the coffee hour after the 6:30 AM Mass to
                                find people to help us, who people run from in the grocery store so
                                we won't ask them to help....
                                The DRE's who don't yearn for change and growth and progress are the
                                ones who sleep well at night and who can work for 20.30, 40, 50 years
                                at a meager salary and not burn out.
                                As for the rest of us, we want what Dan wants.
                                -Margo
                              • lemonpie1420
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 22, 2006
                                  Amen, Margo and Dan!
                                  For years, the majority of our catechists were uninterested in
                                  formation and team meetings. But 3 years ago we jumped on the
                                  Generations of Faith bandwagon and everything changed. "The team"
                                  meets every month for training/planning and seem to really enjoy it.
                                  They love brainstorming new ideas, and working in groups with children
                                  & parents instead of alone in a classroom. We have virtually no
                                  catechist turnover unless someone moves out of town, and new folks
                                  volunteer each year. However, the process is hard on me (the DRE.)
                                  Between searching for good content and worrying about attendance (it's
                                  good so far...but you never know), I am often stressed. It's like
                                  putting on a big conference each month, complete with food. I have to
                                  remind myself constantly that ministry is more than a program. The CCD
                                  system was easier, but i think this is worth it in the long run. As we
                                  begin year 4 of Generations, I think the parish leadership is finally
                                  starting to get it. At least I hope so...

                                  Carla