MAY TOPIC: Volunteers

  • Kathy Viele
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2006
      May 2006

      Welcome to new members of Dre-talk. My name is Kathy and I manage this
      list for NPCD (National Association of Parish Catechetical Directors). NPCD
      is part of the Religious Education Department of NCEA. Click here:
      Department of Religious Education NCEA
      http://www.ncea.org/departments/religioused or Click here: NPCD
      http://www.ncea.org/departments/npcd/ for the National Association of Parish
      Catechetical Directors (A professional organization for Parish Catechetical
      Leaders). You are professional Religious Educators - consider joining NPCD.

      Generally, from September to May, a topic is posted each month as a
      discussion starter, not as a discussion limiter. (Members are free to post
      on any subject relating to faith formation or directing and/or coordinating
      Religious Education Programs in parishes.)

      WHAT'S NEW??

      1. I hope all of you who attended the NPCD Convocation had a great time -
      learned some, prayed some, and played some.

      2. All new members "first posts" are moderated before they go out to the
      group to eliminate unwanted solicitations to the whole group.

      3. Link requests are posted to the group web page - they may be useful
      depending on individual needs.

      4. Four Files to explore from our "talk" this month: Parish Catechetical
      Leader Satisfaction Survey Results
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dre-talk/files/pcl-survey.pdf Results of
      on-line survey conducted by Dr. Tom Walters and Rita Walters about salaries
      for parish catechetical leaders. Click the following link to read the
      results: http://www.ncea.org/UserFiles/File/NPCD/pcl-survey.pdf. The data
      combines responses from NCCL parish members and from our own NPCD members to
      give all of us a more complete picture of the status quo.

      **In order to access the following prayer services on the Dre-talk Home
      Page, members must register with Yahoo as well as subscribe to Dre-talk.
      haven't. Then log in. Once you are logged in you will see a list of groups
      to which you subscribe. Click on dre-talk.

      Genelle's Agape Prayer Service
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dre-talk/files/AGAPE/First%20Communion%20Agape
      %20-%20Table%20Prayer%20Service%20%20from%20Genelle.doc A second AGAPE
      PRAYER SERVICE with Activities from my own files
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dre-talk/files/AGAPE/Agape%202006.doc

      MAY TOPIC: Let's talk about recruiting, training, and affirming VOLUNTEERS!!

      BECAUSE OF VIRUSES, FILES CANNOT BE ATTACHED TO YOUR DRE-TALK MESSAGES.

      Thanks to those of you who have already downloaded files to the web page.

      WHEN THEOLOGICAL ISSUES AND DISCUSSIONS EVOLVE, TRY TO LIMIT YOUR COMMENTS
      TO WHAT CAN BE OF PRACTICAL USE IN OUR MINISTRY. THOSE WHO WISH TO HAVE
      DEEPER/ONGOING DEBATES CAN USE THE CHAT ROOM FORMAT.

      REMINDERS FOR ALL MEMBERS: ALL emails sent to DRE-talk go to over 440 group
      members. This and other egroup lists have a default so that when you receive
      an email from dre-talk and wish to reply to the sender, both the "send now"
      and the "send later" buttons go to the entire list. To send an individual
      reply to the "sender" of the email, you must "manually" insert the
      individual recipient's email address in the address line and delete the
      Dre-talk address. Otherwise your reply will go to all 440 of us even if it
      is a "Thank You" to a specific person.

      NEW MEMBER INFORMATION AND REMINDERS

      1. An NPCD initiative for NPCD members is DRE Clusters. DRE's that sign up
      are matched up with 3 other DRE's/Coordinators and asked to communicate four
      times a year - by email, snail mail, and telephone or in person on any
      subject of interest to them. This is another way to network and resource
      each other.

      If you aren't currently a member of NPCD, consider becoming part of an
      organization of nearly 2000 DRE's across the US.

      2. Dre-talk is an egroup list that is part of Yahoo. They are the ones who,
      at no cost to us, distribute our mail and put the ads on our messages. They
      also provide us with other services that include our own Home Page. Click on
      Dre-talk and follow the directions to change your subscription or click to
      access the other features. If you have friends that wish to subscribe to
      Dre-talk, cut and paste the following <Click here: Yahoo! Groups: dre-talk
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dre-talk/> to join Web page and access email

      features:

      FEATURES: The main feature is THE LIST. Most of you receive individual
      emails of each message. If that is too much mail for you, you may want to
      switch to the daily digest (all messages for the day sent in one email), or
      to web-only access. A Reminder: Please refrain from passing on stories,
      prayer chains, etc., unless they are directly related to what we do as
      Catechetical Leaders and DRE's or can be used for Catechetical Formation in
      some way.

      FILES are the place where files with lesson plans, meeting agendas, prayer
      services, etc., can be uploaded. Posts have been organized and edited on
      Catechist Issues, Children's Liturgy of the Word, and Children with Special
      Needs. Christmas Plays/Pageants, Confirmation Issues, Parent Handbooks,
      RCIA for Children, VBS, and Sharing Space Issues for easier reading. Files
      with Prayers for Meetings with Parents, a Bible Presentation Service and
      Information on Multiple Intelligence are also available. Any member can add
      files with lesson plans, workshop ideas, stories to use, etc., to the files.

      ON VIRUSES AND ATTACHMENTS In general, it is safer to place large quantities
      of information in a file and upload it to our web page, than it is to attach
      them to an email that needs to be downloaded. (I'm no expert on viruses, but
      the "egroup genies" tell me we shouldn't open attachments sent out to large
      groups of people.)

      Also depending on the underlying software on individual computers, some
      members have trouble deciphering downloaded attachments. Original posts are
      still in the archives. There have been nearly over 6700 posts since the
      group began in March 1999. These can be viewed by thread, topic title, or by
      date on the Home Page.

      The group has a safeguard feature that will block attached files and
      pictures etc. from emails sent to Dre-talk

      LINKS for websites/homepages to publishers, resources and websites that may
      be helpful to Religious Educators. Feel free to add your favorites. There is
      a POLL FEATURE that can be used to pose questions to the group and record
      and tabulate the results.

      DATABASE is a membership database. If you haven't done so, consider going
      there and filling out as much information as you are comfortable sharing.
      There may be someone geographically close that you can network with easily.

      CHAT is a chat room. If someone wants to organize a chat, feel free to do
      so. Set up a time and topic and post it to the group. Make sure you let us
      know what time zone.

      ADDRESSES FOR RESOURCES

      Post message: dre-talk@yahoogroups.com

      Subscribe: dre-talk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      The above should help you make better use of Dre-talk. If you are unable to
      access any of the features, please email me off list at Katveee@....

      May you be blessed as you live out your call as an Easter People!

      Kathy Viele, Dre-talk Moderator

      Beatitudes of Our Lord Catholic Community

      13013 So. Santa Gertrudes

      La Mirada, CA 90638

      Katveee@...

      562-943-5678

    • Michelle
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2006
        Hi Kathy,

        I tried the ncea link but it is not working.....I am quite interested
        in this!!

        Michelle---
      • Michelle
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2006
          NEVERMIND!!! I clicked on the yahoogroups link to the survey results
          and it came up. The ncea one does not work however.....

          Michelle
        • Steve Palmer
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2006
            Here is the correct ncea link
            http://www.ncea.org/UserFiles/File/NPCD/pcl-survey.pdf

            Stephen T. Palmer
            Associate Executive Director
            Department of Religious Education
            National Catholic Educational Association

            NEVERMIND!!! I clicked on the yahoogroups link to the survey results
            and it came up. The ncea one does not work however.....

            Michelle

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • AdrienneCBradley@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2006
              Please change my e-mail address to
              _SrAdrienneB@..._ (mailto:SrAdrienneB@...)

              I rarely check my original e-mail address

              Thanks