March Topic - Easter, Sacrament Celebrations & Pentecost

  • Kathy Viele
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 7:40 AM
      HAPPY LENT!!

      March 1, 2006

      Welcome to new members of Dre-talk. My name is Kathy and I manage this
      list for NPCD (National Association of Parish Catechetical Directors). NPCD
      is part of the Religious Education Department of NCEA. Click here:Department
      of Religious Education

      NCEAhttp://www.ncea.org/departments/religioused/

      or Click here: NPCD <http://www.ncea.org/departments/npcd/> for the National
      Association of Parish Catechetical Directors (A professional organization
      for Parish Catechetical Leaders). You are professional Religious Educators -
      consider joining NPCD.

      Generally, from September to May, a topic is posted each month as a
      discussion starter, not as a discussion limiter. (Members are free to post
      on any subject relating to faith formation or directing and/or coordinating
      Religious Education Programs in parishes.)

      WHAT'S NEW??

      1. Check out NCEA/NPCD DRE Convocation News here:

      http://www.ncea.org/annual/dreconvocation/

      There was an error in the form for registration. The correct information
      is:

      NCEA: NPCD Convocation Registration

      PO Box 630652

      Baltimore, MD 21263

      You can also download the corrected Acrobat Registration Form (.pdf) at
      http://www.ncea.org/departments/npcd/06NPCDConvRegForm-Revised.pdf. If you
      have questions, call us at 202-337-6232; email: palmer@....

      2. All new members "first posts" are moderated before they go out to the
      group to eliminate unwanted solicitations to the whole group.

      3. Link requests are posted to the group web page - they may be useful

      depending on individual needs.

      MARCH TOPIC: Easter, Sacrament Celebrations, Pentecost - let's share ideas
      for making them meaningful, prayer-filled experiences for our parish
      families.

      BECAUSE OF VIRUSES, FILES CANNOT BE ATTACHED TO YOUR DRE-TALK MESSAGES.

      Thanks to those of you who have already downloaded files to the web page.

      WHEN THEOLOGICAL ISSUES AND DISCUSSIONS EVOLVE, TRY TO LIMIT YOUR COMMENTS
      TO WHAT CAN BE OF PRACTICAL USE IN OUR MINISTRY. THOSE WHO WISH TO HAVE
      DEEPER/ONGOING DEBATES CAN USE THE CHAT ROOM FORMAT.

      SOME TOPICS DISCUSSED OVER THE PAST MONTH INCLUDE: Ideas for First Communion
      Family Projects; Discussion of Family Commitment to Religious Formation -
      some Thoughts, Feelings, Frustrations & Strategies; Sites with Ideas for
      Lessons, Prayer etc. for Movies; Scripts for "Teaching Masses";
      Recommendations for Software for RE and Parishes; Parent Letters to
      Confirmation Candidates; VBS & new Catholic St. Patrick version.

      REMINDERS FOR ALL MEMBERS: ALL emails sent to DRE-talk go to over 440 group
      members. This and other egroup lists have a default so that when you receive
      an email from dre-talk and wish to reply to the sender, both the "send now"

      and the "send later" buttons go to the entire list. To send an individual
      reply to the "sender" of the email, you must "manually" insert the
      individual recipient's email address in the address line and delete the
      Dre-talk address. Otherwise your reply will go to all 440 of us even if it
      is a "Thank You" to a specific person.

      NEW MEMBER INFORMATION AND REMINDERS

      1. An NPCD initiative for NPCD members is DRE Clusters. DRE's that sign up
      are matched up with 3 other DRE's/Coordinators and asked to communicate four
      times a year - by email, snail mail, and telephone or in person on any
      subject of interest to them. This is another way to network and resource
      each other.

      If you aren't currently a member of NPCD, consider becoming part of an
      organization of nearly 2000 DRE's across the US.

      2. Dre-talk is an egroup list that is part of Yahoo. They are the ones who,
      at no cost to us, distribute our mail and put the ads on our messages. They
      also provide us with other services that include our own Home Page. In order
      to access the Dre-talk Home Page and features, members must register with
      Yahoo as well as subscribe to Dre-talk. The web address for our egroup:

      haven't. Then log in. Once you are logged in you will see a list of groups
      to which you subscribe. Click on Dre-talk and follow the directions to
      change your subscription or click to access the other features. If you have
      friends that wish to subscribe to Dre-talk, cut and paste the following
      <Click here: Yahoo! Groups: dre-talk
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dre-talk/> to join Web page and access email
      features:

      FEATURES

      The main feature is THE LIST. Most of you receive individual emails of each
      message. If that is too much mail for you, you may want to switch to the
      daily digest (all messages for the day sent in one email), or to web-only
      access.

      A Reminder: Please refrain from passing on stories, prayer chains, etc.,
      unless they are directly related to what we do as Catechetical Leaders and
      DRE's or can be used for Catechetical Formation in some way.

      FILES are the place where files with lesson plans, meeting agendas, prayer
      services, etc., can be uploaded. Posts have been organized and edited on
      Catechist Issues, Children's Liturgy of the Word, and Children with Special
      Needs. Christmas Plays/Pageants, Confirmation Issues, Parent Handbooks,
      RCIA for Children, VBS, and Sharing Space Issues for easier reading. Files
      with Prayers for Meetings with Parents, a Bible Presentation Service and
      Information on Multiple Intelligence are also available. Any member can add
      files with lesson plans, workshop ideas, stories to use, etc., to the files.

      ON VIRUSES AND ATTACHMENTS In general, it is safer to place large quantities
      of information in a file and upload it to our web page, than it is to attach
      them to an email that needs to be downloaded. (I'm no expert on viruses, but
      the "egroup genies" tell me we shouldn't open attachments sent out to large
      groups of people.)

      Also depending on the underlying software on individual computers, some
      members have trouble deciphering downloaded attachments. Original posts are
      still in the archives. There have been nearly over 6700 posts since the
      group began in March 1999. These can be viewed by thread, topic title, or by
      date on the Home Page.

      The group has a safeguard feature that will block attached files and
      pictures etc. from emails sent to Dre-talk

      LINKS for websites/homepages to publishers, resources and websites that may
      be helpful to Religious Educators. Feel free to add your favorites.

      There is a POLL FEATURE that can be used to pose questions to the group and
      record and tabulate the results.

      DATABASE is a membership database. If you haven't done so, consider going
      there and filling out as much information as you are comfortable sharing.

      There may be someone geographically close that you can network with easily.

      CHAT is a chat room. If someone wants to organize a chat, feel free to do
      so. Set up a time and topic and post it to the group. Make sure you let us
      know what time zone.

      ADDRESSES FOR RESOURCES

      Post message: dre-talk@yahoogroups.com

      Subscribe: dre-talk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      The above should help you make better use of Dre-talk. If you are unable to
      access any of the features, please email me off list at Katveee@....

      May you experience Christ in a special way this Lent!

      Kathy Viele, Dre-talk Moderator

      Beatitudes of Our Lord Catholic Community

      13013 So. Santa Gertrudes

      La Mirada, CA 90638

      Katveee@...

      562-943-5678

    • Steve Palmer
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 9:45 AM
        thanks, Kathy

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Mary Tull
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2 10:42 AM
          I am looking to do a joint parent/child workshop prior to First Eucharist.
          The past two years I had the children come and they would practice the songs, an overview of the mass, instead of a banner they make a chalice that is hung on the pew, and a video on the Last Supper. Parent participation was optional.
          This year I would like to make parental participation mandatory and I am wondering if anyone has done a program like this? Any suggestions would be heplful.
          Thanks
          peace
          Mary T

          Kathy Viele <Katveee@...> wrote:
[...]

          Religious education Catholic religion National association of National association

          ---------------------------------

        • Michelle
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2 2:07 PM
            We do a "Morning of Reflection" for parents and their children. We
            start in large group and watch the movie, "Grandma's bread". Then
            there are two things that the child and parent do together. One is
            a worksheet with little breads on it. It says that in a unique way
            Mario's family remembered his Nana every time they shared the
            special bread. How can we go out into the world and BE Jesus for
            other people---6 little fill in the blanks. Then they have a
            sandwhich baggie with a number of different kinds of breads and an
            unconsecrated host. There is a little half sheet that goes along
            with it talking about how we 'are' what we eat. If all we ate was
            twinkies we would not be healthy. How God gives us REAL food in the
            Eucharist---try different breads. This is an opportunity for the
            parents to be the first ones to give their child the host....

            We break out into small groups (12 kids aprox). There they find a
            table all set with a centerpiece of a basket with a wine goblet,
            grapes and a loaf of bread. There is soft music in the background
            and the leader brings them through a few biblical passages about
            Jesus changing water into wine, greeting the little children etc.
            Then one by one they are called 'to the table of the Lord' by name.
            Sally, would you come to the table of the Lord? When all children
            are present the leader thanks God for the gifts and for the children
            and breaks the bread and passes it around.

            They have an opportunity to write a love letter to Jesus on a large
            chalice which we turn into a pew marker for their First Communion.

            Later we go to the Chruch and there is a small prayer service where
            Father leads them in instruction on how the Eucharistic Prayer is
            directed to God the father and the gifts are changed by the power of
            the Holy Spirit. Then they line up and present a 'sacrifice box'
            that they prepared in advance with parents. These will be used near
            the altar on their First Communion. Each child presents their
            unique box to father and usually he has a small gift for them: a
            pin, a candle or something small that has a Communion theme.

            We have also used the Giving Tree instead of Grandma's bread and
            that works well too....We have only ever heard good things about
            this.

            Michelle
          • lemonpie1420
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2 3:41 PM
              We show Grandma's Bread, discuss the film, bake bread, make chalices
              from clay, and hold a simple prayer service where we eat the bread and
              drink grape juice. Children, parents, and siblings are invited and
              each child also has a teenage "partner" who helps them with their
              projects. At another gathering, the partners teach the children about
              the Mass as the children become apprentice lectors, servers, priests,
              deacons, cantors, EM's, etc. The partner relationship works well and
              often continues long after First Communion is over.

              Carla

              --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, Mary Tull <standrewreled@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >

              > CHAT is a chat room. If someone wants to organize a chat, feel free
              to do
              > so. Set up a time and topic and post it to the group. Make sure you
              let us
              > know what time zone.
              >

              > ADDRESSES FOR RESOURCES
              >
              > Post message: dre-talk@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > Subscribe: dre-talk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              > The above should help you make better use of Dre-talk. If you are
              unable to
              > access any of the features, please email me off list at Katveee@...
              >

              > May you experience Christ in a special way this Lent!
              >

              > Kathy Viele, Dre-talk Moderator
              >
              > Beatitudes of Our Lord Catholic Community
              >
              > 13013 So. Santa Gertrudes
              >
              > La Mirada, CA 90638
              >
              > Katveee@...
              >
              > 562-943-5678

              > Religious education Catholic religion National

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------

            • mylestogo32950
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2 4:09 PM
                hello,
                Glad to hear someone heard about the Loyola Press Intergenerational
                Activity info. I am looking forward to trying the idea-I also will
                probable use it another day rather than Good Friday.
                Anyways, the Gathering Together for First Reconciliation & First
                Eucharist from Loyola Press is wonderful for parent gatherings-which
                will encourage and enlighten the parents so you won't have to worry
                about mandatory.
                You can find info on it online at loyolapress.org
                Take care! Blessings to all this Lenten season.

                ME