Re: [dre-talk] Re: Migrate workers catechesis

  • Jayne Dougherty
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1 1:12 PM
      The Catholic Migrant Farmworker Ministry publishes a First Eucahrist manual
      "Un Puebla Que Camina" as well as other materials for folks ministering
      with migrant workers. Their web site is worth checking out. WWW.cmfn,org I

      At 03:13 PM 10/29/00 -0800, you wrote:

      >Does anyone out there have programs that involve
      >catechist going out to local migrate camps for their
      >Religious Education. I would appreciate feedback.
      >I have several women who went to the Diocese and they
      >were told they could do this. I believe that while we
      >need to catechize them we should be careful and not
      >marginalize them while doing it. They have been
      >attending class until this was brought to my
      >attention. I feel that they need the faith community
      >and can benifit by making friends with other children.
      >The other issue is that these women want the children
      >to recieve their sacraments sooner than the rest of
      >the children, without having attended class or church
      >for that matter. They told me that one of the parish
      >priests goes to the camp once a month to celebrate
      >mass. I do not understand why they can make it to
      >class and not make it to mass.
      >Aghhhh. I am really angry at the diocese for not
      >calling and talking to me first. This has turned into
      >a huge problem. The acting pastor and Sr. who is
      >overseeing adult formation agree with me.
      >Do You Yahoo!?
      >Yahoo! Messenger - Talk while you surf! It's FREE.
    • Tish Scargill
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1 6:05 PM
        Thank you for the reality check. I just want the best
        for the kids and forget that I am not of that culture.
        Maybe the best is for them to stay where they are, I
        just think that as a faith community we need to
        embrace these people instead of sending a couple of
        people to take care of them.

        I guess what got my goat was the Catechetical
        department at the Diocese calling me and not even
        asking what the story was. I was only doing what I was
        told to do and then it comes back and bites me. They
        are not even involved with the Migrate program, so why
        they were involved is a mystery.

        Do You Yahoo!?
        From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.