summer sessions

  • Mary Ann Kelley
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
      I feel about the summer sessions like I do Home Study! I wish they were
      never created.
      There is too much emphasis on the cognitive with these approaches to
      Religious education. The emphasis is on the amount of information the
      student needs for an academic year. What I have experienced in the meantime
      than is a loss of the family and students involvement in the parish
      community. Their time than is sports or school activities with no time
      "leftover" for Church activities.

      Mary Ann
    • Leisa Anslinger
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
        My experience with a summer catechetical option is very much the
        opposite. Our families who participate in the summer option make a
        commitment to on-going faith formation throughout the year, with an
        emphasis on adult formation, and with 14 annual intergenerational
        gatherings. The result is a real, living community of people who are
        growing in their faith in amazing ways. Their involvement in service and
        outreach is markedly increased, as are the children's content scores;
        they report much higher regular Sunday Mass participation, and they
        support each other in times of crisis as well as celebrating the joyful
        moments together.

        The key is that the two weeks in summer is just a beginning of on-going
        growth in faith, as initiation is just the beginning of a lifetime of
        living as Christ's own.

        Leisa

        Leisa Anslinger
        Pastoral Associate, Evangelization, Catechesis and Stewardship
        Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish
        7820 Beechmont Avenue
        Cincinnati, OH 45255
        513.388.4093

        I feel about the summer sessions like I do Home Study! I wish they were

        never created.
        There is too much emphasis on the cognitive with these approaches to

        Religious education. The emphasis is on the amount of information the
        student needs for an academic year. What I have experienced in the
        meantime
        than is a loss of the family and students involvement in the parish
        community. Their time than is sports or school activities with no time
        "leftover" for Church activities.

        Mary Ann

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • vickihawkinsbadger
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2006
          OUr summer catechetical option is very popular with students and
          parents. In addition to traditional class time, we include music &
          media, art, and a snack break during which we show a movie that 6th-
          8th graders would find interesting and thought provoking. We have
          used the movies, "Pay it Forward", Seabisket, and Simon Birch. The
          students are in the classroom for faith learning for 3 hours out of
          a 4 hour session. We hold two week sessions in the beginning of
          June. Students are given 'homework assignments which consist of
          nightly family-disucssion topics. Then during the school year,
          parents and students come for a session once/quarter to discuss
          various faith topics. WE have good attendance at these meetings and
          good feedback as the sessions are very interactive (very little
          lecturing). At our Fall session we presented a teaching on Communion
          of Saints and then students used book resources to develop a skit to
          present on a particular saint that they had researched. Parents
          were involved by helping develop the skit. We hold a 'review'
          session before administering the ACRE assessment to the 8th graders.

          There are both pros and cons to this form of faith-formation; but
          the bottom line for us is that the students like the format, they
          are engaged in learning and the parents are very supportive. As long
          as we as leaders are providing a quality program, on-going family
          communications and involvement in the parish, I figure the rest is
          up to the famiies and the Holy Spirit.

          --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Leisa Anslinger" <Formation@i...>