Living Rosary

  • wdsland6255
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
      Hi Everyone,
      My pastor would like to start the Living Rosary at our church for the
      children and later the adults of our parish, anyone have a program
      that they are willing to share?
      Thanks,
      Donna
    • Micheleiw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 5, 2005
        Check out Holy Cross Family Ministries at http://www.hcfm.org/main/home.php.
        They carry on the work of Fr. Patrick Peyton who started the family rosary
        crusade in the 1950's. They also have some really good videos and other
        resources. We get free rosaries for all in our programs. Although they are plastic,
        the small fold out instruction for praying the rosary has been very helpful for
        adults as well as children.

      • Brigid Johnson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 5, 2005
          We have prayed a Living Rosary as our closing activity
          for Religious Ed for the last four years. I do have a
          few suggestions.

          1. Pray in a large covered area if at all possible,
          particularly if you are below the Mason-Dixon Line. We
          use the school's outside pavilion. I write numbers on
          the cement with sidewalk chalk. If you can't be
          outside then the numbers will need to be taped to the
          floor. I'm not kidding about the numbers.

          2. Each prayer is numbered from 1-78 (I think there
          are 78 prayers - my notes are at work.) One side of
          the paper(8 1/2 X 11)has all the prayers in both
          Spanish and English. The other side has the specific
          prayer (Spanish and English) and a number.
          #1 is the Sign of the Cross and the Apostles Creed,
          #2 is the OUr Father,
          #3 is the Hail Mary
          #4 is the Hail Mary etc.

          3. My goal in numbering the floor of the pavilion is
          to get the prayers in the correct order. (Don't
          ask...) This way the kids can stand on the number that
          matches the number on their prayer.

          4. I usually have plenty of kids to read the prayers
          but if I don't I give the extra to parents and
          on-lookers. The Kindergarteners and 1st graders always
          get the Hail Mary since that is one they usually know
          by heart so it doesn't matter if they can read or not.

          5. Older kids and parents have the option of reading
          their prayer in Spanish if that is their native
          language.

          6. The Mysteries are numbered in order with all the
          rest of the prayers. I've been using the Luminous
          Mysteries for the last couple of years. Some of the
          parents still look a little confused when we read
          those.

          Does all this make sense? I won't be in to work until
          Thursday but I can upload the files then if you need
          more information.

          Brigid

          Brigid Johnson
          Director of Religious Education
          865-584-4528 (office); 865-687-3098 (home); 865-558-4139 (fax)
          "Do whatever He tells you"

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/
        • Carol Brown
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2005
            I have been following the Living Rosary strand with interest and
            appreciated Brigid's detailed description, but I have to admit, I still
            am not sure exactly a living rosary is. Could someone enlighten me
            about this. It sounds like it would be a great thing to do in October
            if I can get a handle on it. Thanks. I really enjoy reading/listening
            to everyone's experiences and approaches to Faith Formation.

            By the way, at our last Faith Formation Commission meeting we decided
            to go to a Lectionary Based program in a move toward Whole Community
            Catechesis, and most of all, getting people committed to the Sunday
            Liturgy. At least in our area, there are a lot of people who don't come
            to mass on a regular basis, even those who bring their children to
            Faith Formation on a regular basis. What materials have some of you
            used for a Lectionary program and how do you like them? Do you need to
            supplement from a more traditional textbook series so that you cover
            all the topics needed, or is that taken care of in your Lectionary
            program already? I welcome your input since this is a very big change
            for us and I want it to work well.
            Carol

            --
            Carol Brown
            mailto: carol@...

            __________________________________
            Discover Yahoo!
          • carolanng23
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 6, 2005
              We do a Living Rosary with our School once a year (Feast of the Holy
              Rosary). Now, we have 317 children involved so I will tell you how
              we do one Rosary (we do three at the same time)

              A few weeks before the Rosary a parent assigns a each class to a
              section of a Rosary. We put one child per bead (except kindergarten
              and 1st grade have buddies in grades 3 and 4). The teacher will
              assign the actual bead to the student. Teachers are given a map.

              In the morning, we have parents draw the rosary on the parking lot.
              They draw the Hail Mary bead in pink and the Our Father beads in
              blue chalk. The Our Father beads are bigger.

              At the Rosary, we pass large (HUGE) balls from person to person as
              the prayer is lead from a microphone. We begin and end with a song.

              I have also done a family Rosary using the cardboards pizzas are
              served on as the beads. I have both large pizza rounds and medium
              pizza rounds. I did glue a large washer on the bottom for some
              additional weight in case of wind. At that Rosary, I had families
              on each bead and they verbally lead the prayer for the bead.

              We have done different mysteries each year (rather than follow the
              suggested mystery of the day.

              Carol Ann

              I hope that helps
            • mylestogo32950
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 6, 2005
                Carol,
                I do not believe anyone has really given you a definition of LIVING
                ROSARY. One person said it means people are the beads. That is
                basically what it is. In the chatter you are hearing different ways
                to do it. To begin or do it for the first time, it is easiest to
                have one child per each bead and have someone older be the Crucifix
                and Hail Holy Queen medal. Large groups make it extremely long for
                many and the children loose the reverence and devotion of the
                Rosary. I recommend beginning slowly or do as group. That is,
                multiple children represent a bead and have instrumental music play
                in background to keep a sense of reverence. In order to be really
                successful, catechesis about the ROSARY is important. Lots of places
                to discover info. Try a few websites including the vatican! Also,
                catholic.org which is St. Anthony's Messenger, and I believe there
                are several books about the Rosary that are sold by Loyola Press-
                website is loyolabooks.com I believe.
                Also, as someone who has a adevotion to Mary, I recommend that the
                children also learn about the Mysteries first and choose to do the
                correct Mystery for the day it is said to teach them that there are
                specific days for specific mysteries when only saying one a day!
                Hope this helped!
                Marge
              • mylestogo32950
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 6, 2005
                  Carol,
                  Concerning this issue, some diocese frown upon the lectionary base
                  because it covers the school year only. Supplementary material is
                  important, especially to be sure to cover basic doctrines. Whole
                  community catechesis can also be accomplished through many good series
                  on the market now. RCL, HARCOURT, LOYOLA PRESS-Finding God (just
                  released this year.) I recommend you go to all the websites and
                  research them all.
                  Margie
                • DGerczak@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 6, 2005
                    Hi Donna:
                    I did the living rosary with my 6th grade class this year (Catholic
                    school). I had the class process down the aisle of the church with the first one
                    carrying a lit candle. The students formed the shape of a rosary winding
                    around the altar and back to the front. As each student read their prayer, the
                    candle was placed behind or along them. We did the glorious mysteries and as
                    each mystery was read, different students acted out that mystery in the middle
                    of the rosary, in the front of the altar. It doesn't matter how many students
                    you have, as I made small prayer cards for them to hold. Some recited one
                    prayer, others two. If one child was absent, then the first child next to them
                    said their prayer. I would be happy to send you the "agenda" read from the
                    ambo. Good luck and God Bless.
                    Doreen
                    _www.CatholicCatechist.org_ (http://www.CatholicCatechist.org)

                  • Donna Stachulski
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 6, 2005
                      Hi Doreen,

                      Sending the agenda would be a great start for me, my church fax
                      is 313- 562- 2821. Just place my name on the fax so that the
                      parish secretary will place it in the correct mail box. Thanks
                      so much!
                      Donna

                      Get your own "800" number
                      Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
                      http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

                      ---- On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, DGerczak@... (DGerczak@...)
                      wrote:

                      > Hi Donna:
                      > I did the living rosary with my 6th grade class this year
                      (Catholic
                      > school). I had the class process down the aisle of the church
                      with the first one
                      > carrying a lit candle. The students formed the shape of a
                      rosary winding
                      > around the altar and back to the front. As each student read
                      their prayer, the
                      > candle was placed behind or along them. We did the glorious
                      mysteries and as
                      > each mystery was read, different students acted out that
                      mystery in the middle
                      > of the rosary, in the front of the altar. It doesn't matter
                      how many students
                      > you have, as I made small prayer cards for them to hold. Some
                      recited one
                      > prayer, others two. If one child was absent, then the first
                      child next to them
                      > said their prayer. I would be happy to send you the "agenda"
                      read from the
                      > ambo. Good luck and God Bless.
                      > Doreen
                      > _www.CatholicCatechist.org_ (http://www.CatholicCatechist.org)

                      --------------------~-->
                      > Would you Help a Child in need?
                      > It is easier than you think.
                      > Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
                      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/sTR6_D/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/28VolB/TM

                    • bridget_10206
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 14, 2005
                        Doreen,
                        Would you mind sending me the "agenda" as well. I've done a Living
                        Rosary with Gr 2-6 the past couple of years, but the last year it
                        just didn't seem to jive, so I'm looking for some refinement. Our
                        parish fax numbr is 978-374-3043. Thanks so much!
                        Blessings,
                        Bridget