[dre-talk] Catechetical Sunday

  • KMVDIV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 8 6:58 AM
      <orientation of teachers, parents
      and/or students in your program? Do you have prayer services, commissioning,
      workshops, socials - whatever?" Do you celebrate Catechetical Sunday? How?>

      We will celebrate Catechetical Sunday on Sept. 19th, (we sometimes change the
      date designated by the Bishops because of the parish calendar.) We use
      materials from NCCB but adapt to fit our needs. We want to emphasize what we
      do in Religious Ed and also connect with Parish Leadership to help them
      understand that what we are all about is living the Gospel message.

      This year we will have a Prayer of Blessing for the catechists, aides, and
      supprort staff in our program at two masses. With over 125 volunteers this
      makes a pretty impressive size group that comes forward at both masses ( they
      all received a special invitation in the mail and we've had bulletin
      announcements for two weeks) The whole community extends hands over the
      group and responds to the prayer of blessing.

      Then using the premise that everything that happens in the parish teaches
      something about how we believe, we then call forward all Ministry leaders in
      the Parish as our coworkers who teach by what they do - we bless and pray
      over them.

      They remain in front of the assembly for the General Intersessions (from NCCB
      materials adapted for specific parish needs).

      Finally all parents in the assembly are asked to stand. The catechists,
      aides, support staff and ministry leaders extend hands over them praying and
      blessing them as the primary educators of our children. (If anyone wants the
      actual text - I'll forward it)

      On the same Sunday, we then have a leadership retreat, usually facilitated by
      someone outside the parish at a local retreat center followed by dinner. We
      ask the facilitator on our Baptismal call, collaboration etc. Last year we
      had 90+ people attend - probably 70% Rel. Ed. 30% parish.

      In addition we do a teacher orientation/workshop at each level 2-3 weeks
      prior to classes opening. A how-to time with some creative ideas sharing and
      brainstorming.

      Kathy
    • BosMom522@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 8 12:31 PM
        Kathy,
        We are interested in having a copy of the prayer of blessing for the parents
        as primary educators(what a great way to empower!!) Please send us a copy.
        Thanks for your help!!
        Cyndy
      • MM
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 8 3:06 PM
          Kathy, Please forward the blessing of parents. I'd love it for our intro.
          parent/student meeting this year.
          Thanks. Margie

        • PAH427@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 8 9:31 PM
            Great material I would Like the actual text, please send material
          • cpolchow@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 12 8:48 AM
              Help! We have just moved into a new building and all of my materials for
              Catechetical Sunday have been lost in the move. I am sure they are in a box
              stashed away in storage. I just need a copy of the homily hints and the
              commissioning rite. If you anyone can fax them to me, can you contact me
              privately at cpolchow@...? Thanks!

              Carolyn Polchow
              St. Bede the Venerable
              La Canada, CA
              (818) 949-4323

            • Brigid Johnson
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 17 6:43 AM
                We had a commissioning ceremony at the 9:00 A.M. Mass
                on Catechetical Sunday. All of the Parish School of
                Religion Catechists, the RCIA team, the Youth Minister
                and several teachers from the parish school came
                forward to be commissioned and blessed. We used the
                blessing service provided by the USCCB.

                AFter Mass we had our regular PSR class and then we
                had a picnic for the PSR families. The bishop and the
                pastor were in attendance. We had a great time. Our
                goal for the picnic was to build community among those
                whose children were not involved in the school and I
                think we succeeded nicely.

                RE: Font size
                Julie, the font on my DRE talks hasn't changed. Has
                someone been playing on your computer? My son
                periodically changes the fonts on mine to something he
                likes better and it will take me days to figure out
                what's wrong and get it changed back! Good luck.

                Brigid

                Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                http://news.yahoo.com
              • Mary Ann Kelley
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 24, 2004
                  Hello:
                  Has anyone found anything appropriate to give catechists on Catechetical Sunday? I try to find something that represents the focus of the occasion. Sometimes it is a pin, sometimes it is a holy card. I have been looking without any luck. How about you?

                  Mary Ann

                • Tom Rinkoski
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 24, 2004
                    Thursday 24 June 2004
                    Feast of John the Baptist

                    Greetings Group!

                    This past year I gave a flower attached to a card. The prayer card was an orginial design and had on it a prayer for teachers. The blessin was written by Pat Bergen, SJ and the art was by Fran Gregory, CSJ Associate. I really liked the words of the prayer!

                    I found the cards at www.ministryofthearts.org

                    in the smiles and stories of Jesus,

                    Tom Rinkoski, Director
                    Faith Formation and Youth Ministry
                    St. Augustine Church & Student Center

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • Connie Egan
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 24, 2004
                      I get the catechist journals from Journal Press II.
                      They coordinate with the theme each year. Their
                      website is www.jptwo.com

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    • billoconnor70
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 25, 2004
                        How about a paperback "Catechism of the Catholic Church"?

                        --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Ann Kelley" <dreonline@m...>
                        wrote:
                        > Hello:
                        > Has anyone found anything appropriate to give catechists on
                        Catechetical Sunday? I try to find something that represents the
                        focus of the occasion. Sometimes it is a pin, sometimes it is a
                        holy card. I have been looking without any luck. How about you?

                        > Mary Ann

                      • brendadrespy
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 28, 2008
                          I was wondering if anyone has a great catechetical commissioning
                          outline for Catechetical Sunday.
                          Thanks,
                          Brenda
                        • HeartJD19@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 28, 2008
                            The USCCB Publishing Office -- usccbpublishing.org -- has an entire packet (plus lots of extras) for purchase.  One resource is a booklet that contains the commissioning rite (that I use every year), plus an array of ideas for publicity and catechesis.

                            Order now so that you can have it in time.  It's a worthwhile resource.

                            Joan

                            Los Angeles

                            I was wondering if anyone has a great catechetical commissioning

                            outline for Catechetical Sunday.

                            Thanks,

                            Brenda

                          • Sandi Belleque
                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 18, 2011
                              What are you doing for Catechetical Sunday?  I love the clip art from the USCCB site.  We've decided to use it the entire year as our theme.  I created note cards using the clip art.

                            • Susanne Bunn
                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 19, 2011
                                We keep it very simple. We have a blessing of catechists, then parents, then the whole congregation with an affirmation of the role of each group as they stand. Sister Susanne Bunn, MHSH, Prince of Peace in Edgewood, MD and Holy Spirit in Joppa, MD

                                ________________________________

                                What are you doing for Catechetical Sunday? I love the clip art from the USCCB site. We've decided to use it the entire year as our theme. I created note cards using the clip art.

                              • Bonnie
                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 19, 2011
                                  I like the resources on teh USCCB site as well, that is a great idea to make the note cards ! The link attached is Susan Abbot's interview about the celebration of Catechetical Sunday http://www.catholictv.com/Catechetical-Sunday.aspx

                                  Have a great weekend!
                                  Bonnie

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Aug 22, 2011
                                    Hi everyone,
                                    I recently had a family apply to our parish religious education program. The father is Catholic, the mother Orthodox. They were married in a Catholic Church, but have baptized the kids in the Orthodox Church. They kind of go back and forth, it seems.
                                    I’m not sure how best to proceed. The child would be in level 2, preparing for first Reconciliation, and First Communion next year. I had this come up once before, but the child converted to Catholicism. This family is not inclined to do that at all. They are very quick to dismiss the significance of any differences between the two churches.
                                    I just wonder about integrating him into his class, when he is outside the Church, and so unable to receive sacraments, especially as these years are so focused on the sacraments. We also have an expectation of regular mass attendance, etc.
                                    Have any of you dealt with similar situations? I’m torn between wanting to welcome them and sensing that this is going to be a huge headache! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                                    Regina

                                  • Sherill Glassmaker
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Aug 22, 2011
                                      My understanding, having heard about a similar situation, in a neighboring parish, from our Priest is that they are accepted in full communion with the Church. Please check with your Bishop on this. --Sherill

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Aug 22, 2011
                                        The children do not need to convert, Orthodox Baptism is valid in the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church is considered to be in full communion with the Roman Catholic Church. The family is not "outside" the church.

                                        It is stated both in Canon Law and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I once had a family, where the parents were married in the Maronite Church, one daughter was baptized in the Maronite Church and the other two were baptized in the Roman Catholic Church. I also taught in a Catholic School where many of the students were Russian Byzantine Catholics and the children received their Sacraments with their classmates.

                                        I hope this helps.

                                        Mary

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Aug 22, 2011
                                          Hi Regina,
                                          You may want to see if the eastern church they belong to is in full communion with the Catholic church. A number are.  It is also permitted for Orthodox Christians to receive Eucharist, Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick. The question is on the Orthodox side.
                                          From time to time I have had a family like  one you describe.  I believe it is up to us to be welcoming. Check with your diocesan CCE office to follow the procedures in your diocese

                                          Mary Jo

                                          >________________________________

                                        • Mary Garlow
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Aug 22, 2011
                                            I have dealt with this too. Children baptised in the Orthodox Church have
                                            received all three sacraments of initiation and so this little child has already
                                            recieved First Communion. While the Roman Catholic Church does not deny the
                                            sacraments to Orthodox, we do not enjoy full Communion as the Orthodox do not
                                            recognize the Papacy.
                                            I would check with your pastor and also call your Chancellor's office and
                                            explain the situation. They can advise you on how to proceed. I always remind
                                            these families that I am just the DRE and not the pastor and can't give what is
                                            not mine to give. It is most important that they maintain unity with their
                                            pastor. Whoever he is.

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Aug 22, 2011

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 22, 2011
                                                We had a similar situation.  My pastor contacted the diocesan office and there
                                                was no problem with their child attending our program and being prepared for
                                                sacraments.

                                                Eileen

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Aug 22, 2011
                                                  There is a difference between Eastern Rite Churches (e,g, Maronite Rite, Byzantine Rite, etc,) that are in full communion with the Roman Rite Churches, under the primacy of the Pope -- and Orthodox Churches (e,g, Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox) that are not.

                                                  I agree with those who say that it's best to check these things with your pastor, archdiocese, etc. (especially if there is a diocesan resource for interfaith issues).

                                                  Joan
                                                  Los Angeles

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Aug 23, 2011
                                                    In the Eastern Orthodox Church, at the time of baptism, quite often the infant/person receives the sacrament of Eucharist and Confirmation (called chrismation). You will have to contact the church of baptism to clarify this.

                                                    IF the child received the Eucharist at the Eastern Orthodox Church, he or she can of course receive the Eucharist at "Holy Communion" with his/her Roman Catholic class but it would not be considered as "First Eucharist".

                                                    With regards to Confirmation...those who enter the Catholic Church after being chrismated in the Eastern Orthodox Church are not confirmed in the Catholic Church, since Eastern Orthodox chrismation is considered valid by the Catholic Church.

                                                    It's important that parents realize this

                                                  • William O'Leary
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Aug 23, 2011
                                                      I think Catholic Answers (catholic.com) had a good response:

                                                      Ordinarily speaking, Catholics should not receive the sacraments in an Orthodox church because the Catholic and Orthodox churches are not in unity with each other. Canon law holds though that:

                                                      Quote:

                                                      Whenever necessity requires it or true spiritual advantage suggests it, and provided that danger of error or of indifferentism is avoided, the [Catholic] Christian faithful for whom it is physically or morally impossible to approach a Catholic minister are permitted to receive the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick from non-Catholic ministers in whose churches these sacraments are valid
                                                      (canon 844 §2).

                                                      If a Catholic is in a situation in which he cannot approach a Catholic priest for the sacraments, he may receive confession, Eucharist, and the anointing of the sick from a non-Catholic priest in whose church those sacraments are valid, which includes the Orthodox churches.

                                                      William O'Leary

                                                      Director of Religious Formation

                                                      Church of the Ascension

                                                      9510 W. 127th St.

                                                      Overland Park, KS 66213

                                                      913-681-7683

                                                      http://catechesisinthethirdmillennium.wordpress.com <http://catechesisinthethirdmillennium.wordpress.com/>

                                                      Our wish, our object, our chief preoccupation must be to form Jesus in ourselves, to make his spirit, his devotion, his affections, his desires, and his disposition live and reign there. All our religious exercises should be directed to this end. It is the work which God has given us to do unceasingly. -- St. John Eudes

                                                    • Lorraine C
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Aug 23, 2011
                                                        Having received all 3 sacraments of initiation already is correct, it's not a big thing in regard to Eucharist, but note the records, it is a big thing when it's time for Confirmation that can only be administered once. By all means, the child should be included with the catechesis, program & classroom activites, etc, and should be present to celebrate Eucharist with the class on Confirmation day, just not being anointed.

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Aug 23, 2011
                                                          Thank you all for your replies. I will have to clarify whether they are in communion with the Catholic Church. I understand about chrismation and that’s not a problem. I’m more concerned about a child who may not partake of the sacraments in the Catholic Church, if that’s the case. I hesitate to have a situation where a child is set apart from his peers.

                                                          I guess I need to dig a little deeper.

                                                          Thanks again for your comments,

                                                          Regina

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Aug 23, 2011
                                                            Regina
                                                            Last year a student inour parish schoolaskedif she could participate with her classmates at their First Eucharist..she knew it was special andshe couldnot receive. The family sat behind the families of the First Communicants and when it was time for the pew she was sitting in to come forward she came up for a blessing. Her father is Roman Catholic and her mom Greek Orthodox and she is being raised Greek Orthodox eventhough she is attending a catholic school.

                                                            "Behold God beholding you...and smiling"
                                                            Anthony De Mello, SJ