Re: Children Dancing

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
      I want to thank everyone for their responses to my initial question
      on Liturgical Dance---either on list or off. It is clear that it is
      a very personal topic for some individuals who feel rather strongly
      about it. My interest was to find out what the CHURCH
      teaches.....individual feelings are always appreciated but are not
      something I personally base these types of decisions upon.

      Someone posted me the question off list of what was my 'purpose' in
      putting forth my original post. In all honesty, to aid me in the
      discernment process on what action to take---if any. I felt that I
      was in a place of VERY little knowlege on the subject and was hoping
      that this group might enlighten me a bit. From the very little I
      have read on the subject, I thought that Liturgical Dance has a place
      in worship but not in the context of the Mass---. It was my hope
      that information would be forthcoming from the wealth of knowledge of
      those on this list.

      What I have discovered is that the document can be read by two
      different well meaning individuals --and-- that they may come to very
      different conclusions and thus the issue is not quite as cut and dry
      as I first thought.

      I will say that I felt Julie's comment surronding the scandal to be
      inappropriate on a list of this nature. Even if there is
      disagreement between individuals over such issues as Liturgical Dance-
      --I think we can discuss them without resorting to such hurtful and
      unjustified statements.

      Thank you all for your comments----perhaps we should close this topic
      before it gets out of hand.

      gratefully,
      Michelle
    • oddsyntax
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
        --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <michnh@h...> wrote:
        ...I personally feel he really missed the boat on
        > an incredible opportunity for catechesis and evangelization and
        > replaced it with something inappropriate.
        >
        > Michelle

        As administrators who have to deal with all the regulations we have
        to be careful always not to become consumed with them or we will be
        the very people Jesus warned against, the scribes and Pharisees, and
        not be the disciples and apostles we need to be. The best catechesis
        and evangelization is done through love and generosity. Remember the
        gospel tale of the disciples gathering wheat on the Sabbath?

        It may well have been the work of the Spirit sent you there,
        Michelle, to challenge you. Your posts are always so thoughtful but
        this shows a smallness of heart that goes against the gospel message.

        The liturgical norms have a complicated history and practice
        worldwide. Sometimes our certainty in any given situation is
        temporal and limited by our cultural education and biases. My
        experience of education has always been that the more I learn the
        less certain I become of the 'facts' because I become alert to the
        nuances (my training is admittedly mostly limited to literature and
        poetics). So while I don't have the background to
        dispute 'appropriateness' of liturgical dance in a given setting, I
        know

        As directors we must submit every response we have to the simple
        gospel commands: and wonder, is it loving? Does it really glorify
        God? Or does it glorify me? Secondly, keep in mind Saint
        Augustine's definition that sin is the elevation of a lesser good
        over a higher good, we need to keep focused on the highest possible
        good.

        So, my reading of your post, pardon my hubris and longwindedness, is
        that you did everything right: you did not act on the impulse to
        chastise; and you brought your questioning to the attention of
        friends. It has again so interesting to read over and rethink these
        ideas!

        God bless you in the New Year. Abundance.
        Beth