November Topic

  • Kathy Viele
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
      November 2004

      Welcome to new members of Dre-talk. My name is Kathy and I manage this
      list for NPCD (National Association of Parish Catechetical Directors). NPCD
      is part of the Religious Education Department of NCEA. Click here:
      Department of Religious Education, NCEA
      <http://www.ncea.org/departments/religioused/> or Click here: NPCD
      <http://www.ncea.org/departments/npcd/> for the National Association of
      Parish Catechetical Directors (A professional organization for Parish
      Catechetical Leaders). You are professional Religious Educators - consider
      joining NPCD.

      Generally, from September to May, a topic is posted each month as a
      discussion starter, not as a discussion limiter. (Members are free to post
      on any subject relating to faith formation or directing and/or coordinating
      Religious Education Programs in parishes.)

      WHAT'S NEW??
      1. For those of you who have asked about the occasional
      email ad for unrelated activities or products that sometimes show up in the
      group "mail". We are an open group - that means anyone can join - so they
      do. However, we have instituted a NEW policy that all new members "first
      posts" will be moderated before it goes out to the group - hopefully that
      will eliminate unwanted solicitations to the whole group.
      2. We get requests to recommend links to the group. These
      are posted to the group web page - may be useful depending on individual
      needs.
      3. There will be a couple of Reconciliation Services for
      children in the files section of the group in the next few days.

      NOVEMBER TOPIC: There has been much discussion of family centered
      catechesis. What are you doing to include the family in activities &
      programs during Thanksgiving/Christmas. (Any of you celebrating First
      Reconciliation might want to add some thoughts as well).

      BECAUSE OF VIRUSES, FILES CANNOT BE ATTACHED TO YOUR DRE-TALK MESSAGES.

      Thanks to those of you who have already downloaded files to the web page.

      WHEN THEOLOGICAL ISSUES AND DISCUSSIONS EVOLVE, TRY TO LIMIT YOUR COMMENTS
      TO WHAT CAN BE OF PRACTICAL USE IN OUR MINISTRY. THOSE WHO WISH TO HAVE
      DEEPER/ONGOING DEBATES CAN USE THE CHAT ROOM FORMAT.

      Some topics discussed over the past month include: Ideas on Catholic
      Identity and how to make it happen; Resources for sessions w/youth on
      Vatican II; Resources for Down Syndrome children and related Special Ed.
      Materials; Combining RE & School Development plans; Lawsuit impact on
      diocese and parishes; Celebrating the Sacrament of Penance with children -
      Rite II; Who is going where?? - NPCD and other conventions coming up this
      spring; Diocesan Curriculum Guidelines.

      If you missed any of the above, the messages can be viewed by "thread" on
      the group web page.

      REMINDERS FOR ALL MEMBERS: ALL emails sent to DRE-talk go to over 425 group
      members. This and other egroup lists have a default so that when you receive
      an email from dre-talk and wish to reply to the sender, both the "send now"
      and the "send later" buttons go to the entire list. To send an individual
      reply to the "sender" of the email, you must "manually" insert the
      individual recipient's email address in the address line and delete the
      Dre-talk address. Otherwise your reply will go to all 425 of us even if it
      is a "Thank You" to a specific person.

      NEW MEMBER INFORMATION AND REMINDERS
      1. An NPCD initiative for NPCD members is DRE Clusters. DRE's that sign up
      are matched up with 3 other DRE's/Coordinators and asked to communicate four
      times a year - by email, snail mail, and telephone or in person on any
      subject of interest to them. This is another way to network and resource
      each other.

      If you aren't currently a member of NPCD, consider becoming part of an
      organization of nearly 2000 DRE's across the US.

      2. Dre-talk is an egroup list that is part of Yahoo. They are the ones who,
      at no cost to us, distribute our mail and put the ads on our messages. They
      also provide us with other services that include our own Home Page. In order
      to access the Dre-talk Home Page and features, members must register with
      Yahoo as well as subscribe to Dre-talk. The web address for our egroup:

      haven't. Then log in. Once you are logged in you will see a list of groups
      to which you subscribe. Click on Dre-talk and follow the directions to
      change your subscription or click to access the other features. If you have
      friends that wish to subscribe to Dre-talk, cut and paste the following
      <Click here: Yahoo! Groups: dre-talk
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dre-talk/> to join Web page and access email
      features:

      FEATURES
      The main feature is THE LIST. Most of you receive individual emails of each
      message. If that is too much mail for you, you may want to switch to the
      daily digest (all messages for the day sent in one email), or to web-only
      access.

      A Reminder: Please refrain from passing on stories, prayer chains, etc.,
      unless they are directly related to what we do as Catechetical Leaders and
      DRE's or can be used for Catechetical Formation in some way.

      FILES is the place where files with lesson plans, meeting agendas, prayer
      services, etc., can be uploaded. Posts have been organized and edited on
      Catechist Issues, Children's Liturgy of the Word, and Children with Special
      Needs. Confirmation Issues, Parent Handbooks, RCIA for Children, VBS, and
      Sharing Space Issues for easier reading. Files with Prayers for Meetings
      with Parents, a Bible Presentation Service and Information on Multiple
      Intelligence are also available. Any member can add files with lesson plans,
      workshop ideas, stories to use, etc., to the files.

      ON VIRUSES AND ATTACHMENTS In general, it is safer to place large quantities
      of information in a file and upload it to our web page, than it is to attach
      them to an email that needs to be downloaded. (I'm no expert on viruses, but
      the "egroup genies" tell me we shouldn't open attachments sent out to large
      groups of people.)

      Also depending on the underlying software on individual computers, some
      members have trouble deciphering downloaded attachments. Original posts are
      still in the archives. There have been nearly over 6400 posts since the
      group began in March 1999. These can be viewed by thread, topic title or by
      date on the Home Page.

      The group has a safeguard feature that will block attached files and
      pictures etc. from emails sent to Dre-talk

      BOOKMARKS has links to publishers, resources and websites that may be
      helpful to Religious Educators. Feel free to add your favorites.

      There is a POLL FEATURE that can be used to pose questions to the group and
      record and tabulate the results.

      DATABASE is a membership database. If you haven't done so, consider going
      there and filling out as much information as you are comfortable sharing.

      There may be someone geographically close that you can network with easily.

      CHAT is a chat room. If someone wants to organize a chat, feel free to do
      so. Set up a time and topic and post it to the group. Make sure you let us
      know what time zone.

      ADDRESSES FOR RESOURCES
      Post message: dre-talk@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: dre-talk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      The above should help you make better use of Dre-talk. If you are unable to
      access any of the features, please email me off list at Katveee@....

      May we live our call to everyday sainthood during this season of
      thanksgiving!!

      Kathy Viele, Dre-talk Moderator
      Beatitudes of Our Lord Catholic Community
      13013 So. Santa Gertrudes
      La Mirada, CA 90638
      Katveee@...
      562-943-5678