Whole Community Catechesis

  • Mary Ann Kelley
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
      And Generations of Faith.
      I think G of F is a good complementary program. However, to do away with the curriculum model at this point is all too premature. That is my opinion. I was reminded of this just this week during our Children's session for the Rite of Christian Initiation. A parent that attended with her son became very interested in the discussion of Mary's virginity. She claimed to never have never learned that. She claimed her lack of knowledge on the fact that she attended "CCD" and not the Parochial School. Are we opening ourselves up for another generation of Catholics that feel the religious education program did not provide them with the kind of information they deserve?
      I know we have those that claim even the Parochial School was insufficient in providing doctrinal formation. However, since the great percentage of our children attend after school programs there will be a greater number claiming religious education offered to the public school child was deficient.
      I have been involved in religious education for over 30 years. I agree we need to have the families involved. Whole community Catechesis is certainly a goal. But in the meantime do we throw out the one model that has persisted all of this time to experiment with another exclusively? Or can we invite families to models of WCC (without doing away with curriculum based catechesis) and see how it forms families in our parishes?

      Mary Ann

    • All Saints
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
        Our Parish's goal is to have Catechesis of the Good Shepherd for children 3
        yrs to 12 yrs, whole community catechesis(such as G of F), separate classes
        for Confirmation preparation (middle school) and youth ministry. Is there
        anyone who has a model like this in place?

        ginger

      • swiss8610
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2004
          Mary Ann,
          I understand your dilema when working with GofF. May I suggest you
          pick up the two books by Bill Huebsch, "Whole Community Catechesis"
          and "Handbook for Success in Whole Community Catechesis". They will
          help you through the understanding that it is not "either/or" but
          more "with/and". It helps greatly.
          Peace,
          Joe Swiss
          --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Ann Kelley" <dreonline@m...>