RE: [dre-talk] Help!

  • raiche@ncea.org
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
      Dear Carolyn,
      Having raised a daughter who went blind at age 10 (she's now 27), I
      understand the challenge in finding alternative resources. You may want to
      contact the Xavier Society for the Blind in New York City. They provide
      Braille text books, the Sunday scriptures, etc. I have that information at
      home; your question prompts me to keep the contact info at work as well.
      Email me back if you have difficulty contacting them. The Xavier Society
      should be able to get you what you need, but if they cannot for any reason,
      a local transcriber may do the work for you pro bono.

      If the child is in the public school, you may want to contact the child's
      itinerate teacher who should be able to put you in contact with local
      Braille transcribers. The Library of Congress has books on tape for the
      blind as does the organization Recordings for the Blind. An itinerate
      teacher for the blind should be able to help you locate the inventory for
      those resources if you cannot find anything on line.

      Another option is to have a parishioner read the same resources that all the
      other children are using on tape or have readers assigned to the child. In
      our daughter's case, reading to her was a family affair engaging me, my
      husband, as well as her older and younger sisters. When necessary, we hired
      readers. If the family is unable to read to the child, perhaps a parishioner
      would be willing to help out - a confirmand in need of finding a source for
      service hours, a friend, a godparent, or a retired person who loves
      children. Assigning an aide to the child for every session/class is most
      helpful.

      FYI: Reading in Braille takes a lot of time, that is why a combination of
      live readers, books on tape and Braille resources are usually used.
      Depending on the age of the child, she/he may not be able to keep up with
      all the reading required in Braille alone. Our daughter's fingers would get
      numb from reading a Braille text for too long a period of time. Her
      itinerate teacher insisted she read a certain amount in Braille each day to
      gain proficiency. It's a slow go at first. How proficient is the child in
      reading Braille?

      I also have experience with preparing autistic children for the sacraments.
      Mainstreaming within a community of learners and offering one-on-one
      attention about key concepts was the most successful approach in my
      experience. Autistic children may not have the language skills to report
      back what they know, but you can read their behavior and attitude and get a
      good sense of "readiness" appropriate to the child. Others may have more to
      share in this part of your question. We have a Catechetical Scholar at NCEA
      who is working on a project that touches on this topic. Contact me at
      raiche@... for more on that resource.

      Hope this helps,
      Diana Dudoit Raiche
      Executive Director
      Department of Religious Education
      NCEA

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
        Check the Braille Institute - They transcribed a whole book on Sacrament
        Preparation for me at minimal cost. (.10 a page)

        >From: cpolchow@...
        >To: dre-talk@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [dre-talk] Help!
        >Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:26:17 EST
        >
        >Dear Group-
        > I have a small group of special needs kids who are preparing for First
        >Reconciliation and First Eucharist and I am looking for resources.
        >Specifically,
        >I have one child who is blind and one who is severely autistic. Does
        >anybody
        >know if there are any resources, geared for kids, that are in braille? I
        >have
        >done a cursory internet search and not come up with much. Are there any
        >special manipulatives that you have used and found successful? Any ideas
        >would be
        >greatly appreciated!
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Carolyn
        >St. Bede

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from bCentral.
        http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx
      • Amy Ballanco
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2004
          I use Together in Jesus by pflaum pub. It has stickers that go on the separate
          pages. There is really nothing out there that I have found other than pulling from
          other resources to make up a program according to the need. We also had flash cards
          that our Grade 8 made as a service project for our special needs group, of things we
          find in church. We would go into church at a quiet time and give the child a card
          and tell him to find the item and say it's name etc. We used the stained glass
          windows as teaching tools and took a tour of the reconciliation rooms a few times. I
          would be interested to know what you find as well. What we have done so far has
          brought 8 children to their sacraments so far. God bless you on your quest.

          cpolchow@... wrote:

          > Dear Group-
          > I have a small group of special needs kids who are preparing for First
          > Reconciliation and First Eucharist and I am looking for resources. Specifically,
          > I have one child who is blind and one who is severely autistic. Does anybody
          > know if there are any resources, geared for kids, that are in braille? I have
          > done a cursory internet search and not come up with much. Are there any
          > special manipulatives that you have used and found successful? Any ideas would be
          > greatly appreciated!
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Carolyn
          > St. Bede

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Claudia Fiebig
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 8, 2004
            Hi, Try the University of Dayton. They have a publication called
            Inclusion Quarterly and other sacramental resources. Claudia