article about RE/Faith formation

  • Mary Ann Kelley
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
      I am a DRE in a School. I have been asked to write an article about the RE program. I know they are missing the point completely. The School thinks of RE as something that only happens after school.
      Give me some ideas about this article and how I can convert them away from the CCD idea? That is the term they use to distinguish the Religious Education that goes on in the School vs. what happens after school.

      Mary Ann

    • Formation
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
        Mary Ann,

        Think about ways in which you can address how your role as DRE is to support
        the parents in their role in the formation of their children -- they are
        supported by the Catholic school faculty, and through your efforts, and
        because they have such wonderful support, they are better equipped to take
        on the responsibilities of parenting. A good beginning is to use the text
        from the Rite of Baptism in which the parents promised to raise the child in
        the faith. I find that using language such as the above -- that we wish to
        support parents in every way we can -- and to do so in a way that is sincere
        in the desire to equip parents -- is very helpful in making the move from
        the mentality that you describe. Along with this, when adult faith formation
        opportunities are offered, point out to the parents that any thing they do
        to continue growing in their faith will have an impact on their family and
        the way their family lives the Gospel. This helps adults to understand the
        reasons adult formation is so important.

        Leisa Anslinger
        Pastoral Associate, Faith Formation
        Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish
        7820 Beechmont Avenue
        Cincinnati, OH 45255
        513.388.4093

        I am a DRE in a School. I have been asked to write an article about the RE
        program. I know they are missing the point completely. The School thinks
        of RE as something that only happens after school.
        Give me some ideas about this article and how I can convert them away
        from the CCD idea? That is the term they use to distinguish the Religious
        Education that goes on in the School vs. what happens after school.

        Mary Ann

      • Barbara JJ Nichols
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
          The terminology CCD rather than Faith Formation may be a place to begin.
          Forming Faith is an on-going process, evangelization if you will, at its
          best. The Body of Christ celebrating Eucharist and being sent forth from
          liturgy to learn and grow in faith applies to all ages. Our faith
          formation doesn't have an end it is life long. A lot depends on what
          methodologies you are incorporating in your lesson plans each week - how
          animiated are they - are the parish liturgies animated and does that
          cause Our Hearts to be Burning within us to learn more about our faith?
          Would we want to accompany a new person coming to our faith as a sponsor?

          Good luck,

          Barbara

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Michelle
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
            > Give me some ideas about this article and how I can convert them
            away from the CCD idea? That is the term they use to distinguish the
            Religious Education that goes on in the School vs. what happens after
            school.

            Michelle replies;
            Our 'CCD' program is having a Thanksgiving Feast in a few weeks. In
            our letter to parents we spoke about our Catholic faith as not being
            something we 'do' but it is what we ARE. I think it is important in
            this day and age to try to make people understand that simply because
            you have your children in Catholic Schools does not mean that
            is 'better' than choosing to educate your children in other
            alternative ways. Some people choose Public Schools for a variety of
            reasons, some choose to homeschool. We ALL are Catholic and all
            members of the same BODY who is the bride of Christ. All bring
            different gifts to the table.
          • Micheleiw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
              Mary Ann, I have been reflecting on your question from another perspective:
              "How do we understand and implement Pope John Paul II's and the bishops'
              teaching that catechesis is the responsibility of the whole Church?"

              Pope John Paul II in Catechesi Tradendae wrote,"Catechesis always has been
              and always will be a work for which the whole Church must feel responsible and
              must wish to be responsible. But the Church's members have different
              responsibilities, derived from each one's mission."

              Following on what other people have already said, I would encourage you to
              become familiar with the General Directory for Catechesis (GDC). In it the six
              Tasks of Catechesis are listed: "to promote the knowledge of the faith, to
              provide liturgical education, to give moral formation, to teach prayer, to educate
              for community life, and to initiate into mission." Schools and catechetical
              programs are both committed to offering a cohesive and coherent catechesis, but
              both are only partial. The Bishops in The General Directory for Catechesis (
              #220) and other documents have stated that catechesis is the responsibility of
              the entire Christian community, an ‘ecclesial act.'

              Check out these 2 video programs if you want to do a parent/teacher evening:
              Seeds of Promise, Seeds of Faith from the United States Catholic Conference,
              Department of Education, OR On Good Soil from Benziger.

              Blessings,
              Michele

              Other Musings:
              In the days when Catholic schools were staffed by religious communities of
              sisters/brothers/priests who were immersed in the traditions of the Church and
              the charism of their founders, the children who went to public schools still
              were immersed in the values and traditions because parents practiced the faith
              and the whole community was involved.
              No longer can we presume that school is better at handing on the faith. What
              we can acknowledge is that schools have the time and professionally trained
              teachers, who may or may not be part of a faith community outside of the school.
              In parishes most catholic children attend public schools. "CCD" is now
              responsible for passing on the faith to more children than ever before. Parish
              programs have people who are so committed to their faith that they want to share it
              with others. Whether school or parish, the most effective programs have
              adults who are "growing" their own faith and actively participating in the life of
              the Church.

              In whatever form of handing on the faith, school or parish program,
              catechesis is effective when there is a commitment to immerse all children in an
              environment where faith is lived by adults who are both disciples themselves and
              apostles, where liturgical celebrations animate and nurture, where the practices
              of compassion, justice and peace are the norm.

              I send this home to parents to help answer the question: What happened to CCD?
              In the past parishes called their programs CCD, or Confraternity of Christian
              Doctrine. A Confraternity is a society devoted to a religious cause. The
              cause in the case of "CCD" was to pass on Christian doctrine to children.
              Memorization of the answer to questions on the doctrine was key. The Baltimore
              Catechism was the text.
              After Vatican II religious educators were concerned not just for people’s
              knowledge of doctrine, but also about aiding in the development of a positive
              relationship with God. CCD programs were short on content and long in experient
              ial opportunities.
              Realizing that both extremes leave gaps in believers’ ability to come to
              "full, conscious and active participation," the Church has sought models that
              balance understanding what we believe with opportunities to celebrate and practice
              the faith. The focus in faith formation has shifted from emphasis on children
              to the need for on-going catechesis for all Catholic Christians.
            • MNoel21550@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
                How about the fact that we are all a part of comprehensive youth ministry?
                Marty Noel

              • Sr. Susanne
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
                  I like the idea that our faith is being formed as we worship. Our faith is
                  being formed as we live our family life, our ordinary living. In Catholic
                  School or in the parish religious education program, we reflect on the
                  meaning of the faith that is already being formed at our worship and in our
                  living. Sr. Susanne Bunn, MHSH St. Matthias, Lanham, MD
                  At 09:48 AM 11/2/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                  >I am a DRE in a School. I have been asked to write an article about the
                  >RE program. I know they are missing the point completely. The School
                  >thinks of RE as something that only happens after school.
                  > Give me some ideas about this article and how I can convert them away
                  > from the CCD idea? That is the term they use to distinguish the
                  > Religious Education that goes on in the School vs. what happens after
                  > school.
                  >
                  >Mary Ann

                • Ted Burton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
                    At 9:17 -0500 on 11/3/03, Sr. Susanne spoke about Re: [dre-talk]
                    article about RE/Faith formation thusly:

                    >I like the idea that our faith is being formed as we worship. Our
                    >faith is being formed as we live our family life, our ordinary
                    >living. In Catholic School or in the parish religious education
                    >program, we reflect on the meaning of the faith that is already
                    >being formed at our worship and in our living. Sr. Susanne Bunn,
                    >MHSH St. Matthias, Lanham, MD

                    I believe that to be true, at least for those who are not merely
                    going through the socially desired routine. In fact, something of the
                    sort was happening to me all over again in the late 1990's. I also
                    believe the whole church is still becoming and will never be fully
                    formed, never be a finished product until the Parousia ends its
                    relevance.
                    --

                    "Blest are they who through their lifetimes sow the seeds of peace;
                    all will call them children of the Lord" -- John D. Becker, Lead Me