October Topic

  • katveee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2003
      Welcome to new members of Dre-talk.   My name is Kathy and I manage this list

      for NPCD (National Association of Parish Catechetical Directors).  NPCD is
      part of the Religious Education Department of NCEA. <A HREF="http://www.ncea.org/departments/religioused/">Click here: Department of
      Religious Education, NCEA</A>  or  <A HREF="http://www.ncea.org/departments/npcd/">Click here: NPCD</A> for the National Association
      of
      Parish Catechetical Directors (A professional organization for Parish
      Catechetical Leaders) . You are professional Religious Educators - consider
      joining
      NPCD.

      This October please share a prayer or activity you have used with youth
      and/or their families about Halloween/All Saints. If the actual text is too large,
      please cut and paste it into the files on the group web page. You need to
      register with Yahoo to access the web page. <A HREF="http://groups.yahoo.com/">Click here: Yahoo! Groups</A> and
      follow the directions. BECAUSE OF VIRUSES, FILES CANNOT BE ATTACHED TO YOUR
      DRE-TALK MESSAGES.

      Thanks to those of you who have already downloaded files to the web page.

      WHEN THEOLOGICAL ISSUES AND DISCUSSIONS EVOLVE, TRY TO LIMIT YOUR COMMENTS TO
      WHAT CAN BE OF PRACTICAL USE IN OUR MINISTRY.  THOSE WHO WISH TO HAVE
      DEEPER/ONGOING DEBATES CAN USE THE CHAT ROOM FORMAT.

      Topics discussed over the past month include Lectionary for Children; a
      discussion on the Shortage of Priests; comments on the Sept. topic -
      Student/Disciple & Education/Formation; Reconciliation Resources; Confirmation Retreat
      Ideas; thoughts on Youth Bibles; Degree/Grad program for "in the field" folk; Jesus
      and the Gospels; Catechist Staffing and Class Size; Resources for Classes on
      Racism; more about the Virtus Program and Background Checks.

      As you can see it has been a busy month online. If you missed any of the
      above they messages can be viewed by "thread" on the group web page.

      REMINDERS FOR ALL MEMBERS: ALL emails sent to DRE-talk go to over 380 group
      members. This and other egroup lists have a default so that when you receive
      an email from dre-talk and wish to reply to the sender, both the "send now"
      and the "send later" buttons go to the entire list. To send an individual
      reply
      to the "sender" of the email, you must "manually" insert the individual
      recipient's email address in the address line and delete the Dre-talk
      address.
      Otherwise your reply will go to all 380 of us even if it is a "Thank You" to
      specific person.

      NEW MEMBER INFORMATION AND REMINDERS

      1.  An NPCD initiative for NPCD members is DRE Clusters. DRE's that sign up
      are matched up with 3 other DRE's/Coordinators and asked to communicate four
      times a year - by email, snail mail, telephone or in person on any subject of

      interest to them. This is another way to network and resource each other. If
      you aren't currently a member of NPCD, consider becoming part of an
      organization of nearly 2000 DRE's across the US.
      2. Dre-talk is an egroup list that is part of Yahoo. They are the ones who,
      at no cost to us, distribute our mail and put the ads on our messages. They
      also provide us with other services that include our own Home Page. In order
      access the Dre-talk Home Page and features, members must register with Yahoo
      as
      well as subscribe to Dre-talk. The web address for our egroup: <A HREF="http://groups.yahoo.com/">Click here:
      Yahoo! Groups</A>  to register if you haven't. Then log in. Once you are logged in
      you will see a list of groups to which you subscribe. Click on Dre-talk and
      follow the directions to change your subscription or click to access the
      other
      features. If you have friends that wish to subscribe to Dre-talk, cut and
      paste the following  <A HREF="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dre-talk/">Click here: Yahoo! Groups : dre-talk</A> to join Web page and
      access email features:

      The main feature is the list. Most of you receive individual emails of each
      message. If that is too much mail for you, you may want to switch to the
      daily
      digest (all messages for the day sent in one email), or to web-only access.

      A Reminder: Please refrain from passing on stories, prayer chains, etc.,
      unless they are directly related to what we do as Catechetical Leaders and
      DRE's
      or can be used for Catechetical Formation in some way.

      Files is the place where files with lesson plans, meeting agendas, prayer
      services, etc., can be uploaded. Posts have been organized and edited on
      Catechist Issues, Children's Liturgy of the Word, Children With Special
      Needs.
      Confirmation Issues, Parent Handbooks, RCIA for Children, VBS, and Sharing
      Space
      Issues for easier reading. Files with Prayers for Meetings with Parents, a
      Bible
      Presentation Service and Information on Multiple Intelligence are also
      available. Any member can add files with lesson plans, workshop ideas,
      stories to use, etc., to the files.

      ON VIRUSES In general, it is safer to place large quantities of information
      in a file and upload it to our web page, than it is to attach them to an
      email that needs to be downloaded. (I'm no expert on viruses, but the "egroup

      genies" tell me we shouldn't open attachments sent out to large groups of
      people.) Also depending on the underlying software on individual computers,
      some members may have trouble deciphering downloaded attachments. Original
      posts are still in the archives. There have been 5000 posts since
      the group began in March 1999. These can be viewed by thread, topic title or
      by date on the Home Page.

      Bookmarks has links to publishers, resources and websites that may be helpful

      to Religious Educators. Feel free to add your favorites. There is a poll
      feature that can be used to pose questions to the group and record and tabulate
      the results.

      Database is a membership database. If you haven't done so, consider going
      there and filling out as much information as you are comfortable sharing.
      There may be someone geographically close that you can network with easily.

      Chat is a chat room. If someone wants to organize a chat, feel free to do so.

      Set up a time and topic and post it to the group. Make sure you let us know
      what time zone.

      ADDRESSES FOR RESOURCES

      Post message:   dre-talk@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe:  dre-talk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      The above should help you make better use of Dre-talk. If you are unable to
      access any of the features, please email me off list at Katveee@....

      Fall Blessings to All!!

      Kathy Viele, Dre-talk Moderator
      Beatitudes of Our Lord Catholic Community
      13013 So. Santa Gertrudes
      La Mirada, CA 90638
      562-943-5678

    • Maggie Geene FFMC
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2003
        We use a pre cut Jack - o - Lantern to illustrate a story about a little boy
        who wants to do the work of Jesus but doesn't know how.

        Before the children arrive, you prepare by cutting the pumpkin and placing
        the cut pieces back into their places, then you place a light inside it (we
        use one of the battery operated kind or a glow stick)

        When the children arrive you tell the story of the little boy and how:

        He begins to open his mind and heart to the will of Jesus (open top of
        pumpkin)
        As he prays, the good news of Jesus takes up so much room that all the bad
        ideas and thoughts are displaced (remove some gunk from inside - doesn't
        have to be much)

        (this is the point where you turn on the light or snap the glow stick then
        place the lid back on the pumpkin)

        Then as he prays he begins to listen to Jesus when he prays (remove pieces
        for ears),
        and he begins to see ways he can help (remove eye pieces)
        and he begins to speak the words of Jesus to others (remove the mouth piece)

        (by now the light is shining out of all the holes)

        now he shines from the inside right out into the world with the Love and
        Good News of Jesus!

        We also talk about All Saints and All Souls, throughout the year. We talk
        about saints feasts throughout the year and what they are patron of. We
        talk about praying for all the souls, and how important it is.