[dre-talk] June Topic: Recruiting & Training Catechists

  • Katveee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
      Our subscriber list remains at about 90 participants. After one full month
      of operation we have had 17 messages posted. (They can be accessed on our
      dre-talk group member page if you missed them) Thanks to everyone who
      responded last month. Monthly topics are meant to be discussion starters not
      limiters, so feel free to post on any subject related to faith formation and
      leadership.

      The topic for June is Recruiting and Training Catechists
      In the midst of First Communion or Confirmation Celebations, weekly
      sessions close for the summer break, a Master Calendar draft for next year is
      put together and we try to determine which catechists will be returning to
      teach next fall.
      This month let's hear about tried and true ways of finding new catechists and
      what kind of programs you offer to help catechists (experienced and new) be
      competent theologically while growing spiritually.
      Does your parish offer inservice on site? What kind of formation courses are
      offered by your diocese? How do you motivate your catechists to participate
      in Religious Ed training? Do you have ideas that help people make Rel Ed a
      priority? What percentage of your catechists are certified by the diocese?
      Do you do any kind of catechist evaluation process? All insights are
      welcomed and appreciated.

      The simplist way to respond is simply to reply to the monthly topic when it
      arrives in your mailbox. Keep in mind that when you reply it goes out to all
      90 subscribers - so let's limit the thank you's to individuals for their
      specific ideas, but feel free to ask for clarification if you need more
      information. (if you need it, others will too)

      This list is run by e-groups. They are the ones who put the ads at the
      bottom of our mail. You can get this list in four different ways: e-mail,
      web-only access where you read and write messages on the web page, summary
      digest, where you get a daily mailing with the subjects of the day's mail, so
      that you can choose whether or not to go to the archives and read, and the
      full digest where you get one daily mailing with all messages. No matter
      which form you choose, the web page is open to you to view all current and
      past messages.
      It can be accessed at http://www@egroups.com.
      It will list the egroups you belong to. Just click on dre-talk to manipulate
      your subscription and read the archives.

      If you know anyone who wishes to subscribe they can do so at
      dre-talk-subscribe@egroups.com or forward their email address to me and I can
      directly subscribe them. If you have any questions you can email me outside
      the list at Katveee@....

      Peace,
      Kathy

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dre-talk
    • crowbar
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 1999
        I am beginning my third year as DRE. We usually need 70 - 75 teachers and
        35 - 40 teacher aides/helpers. We have about 700 students enrolled in
        grades Kindergarten - 10th. My first year I had to recruit about 48 new
        teachers and about 25 aides. Most of the teachers saw the changeover in
        DRE as a way out of Religious Education. Last year I needed about 21
        teachers and 15 called to volunteer before I began recruiting. I only had
        to "beg" for 6 new teachers. I hope to repeat the high number staying with
        our program. I currently need about 18 teachers. I have just about all of
        my helpers. I reach out to people through the bulletin, and what is known
        in our parish as the "pitiful pulpit plea". The most successful method is
        calling and requesting a meeting with the person I am interested in
        recruiting. I have been most fortunate that my ministry has been positive
        and supportive of all volunteering in Religious Education and that has
        sowed many seeds of goodwill. I think the continual reinforcement of my
        gratitude and empowerment of the teachers in their ministry has given many
        of them the incentive to return to our program.

        I also provide 4 in-services through the year. We have classes on Sunday
        night, Monday night and Tuesday night (4 sessions in all). I do the
        in-service on a night, Tuesday, that the students stay home. Most of our
        teachers attend these in-services and we always have some time to visit and
        share after all business and instruction is finished. I also provide our
        catechists with a methods workshop opportunity each year. This year I am
        working with neighboring DRE's and we are collaborating on a day long
        workshop beginning with solid prayer experience, keynote address, many
        breakout sessions and educational opportunities for our catechists. With
        regard to catechists courses offered in our diocese, I always put flyers in
        their information folders and tell them I am looking forward to seeing them
        there. I will continue to take classes as long as I am in this ministry as
        an example to the teachers. I believe catechists as well as their students
        will learn by example. We also began last year with a Pre-Certification
        program put out by the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux (my diocese) for new
        catechists. This is a 10 session course offering study in 8 basic areas of
        faith development. I hope this has helped someone out there. Be positive.
        With your co-workers(catechists), students and parents. It goes a long
        way toward keeping good people in the classroom.

        April Crochet
        St. Bernadette Church
        Houma, La.
        ----------

      • STMPRelEd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 1999
          I use all the usual altar pleas, bulletin, face to face, ask a friend to ask
          a friend, ask each teacher to recruit one new teacher etc.

          Years ago I found a parable written by Jeannine Leichner, in Catechist
          Magazine, and used it to reqruit new teachers. It was a wonderful and novel
          way, but can only be used once each decade because people remember it!

          I used a yard sale find that was a small old wooden "treasure chest" complete
          with domed top and studded with old nail heads. It looked authentic but
          really was an old liquor set complete with scotch, shot glasses etc. [Gave
          the scotch to my husband and tossed the rest.] I did not clean it up too
          much to retain the antique look and then I filled it with precious jewels,
          pearls and gold chains [junk jewelry ] etc.
          I left it in the church for two weeks in a very visible spot without any
          explanation the first week. Curiosity factor was very high by the second
          week, parishioners could not imagine why it was in the Church. Saturday just
          before the start of weekend masses it was put on the lectern, now they really
          went crazy as they entered for liturgy, a million questions who, why,
          sacrilegious, # **# * ?

          Banners decorated the church encouraging people to follow Jesus and share
          their faith. Key words from the parable were used in the Prayers of the
          Faithful.

          Finally during the homilies, the priest read the parable of an advanced
          people who lived in a remote valley. They had learned to build bridges, read,
          write beautiful poetry
          make laws, farm, a very clever people much advanced of neighboring villages
          with very cleaver children. And one more thing, they had a special
          treasure... a chest full of sparkling jewels. No one could remember how or
          when the treasure came to the village, all they knew was it was a gift from
          some one who loved them very much. They were very proud of it. They took good
          care of it and even built a special room for it . Nothing gave them more
          pleasure than to talk about the brillance of the jewels in the chest. Life
          was good for the people, but one thing disturbed them. They wanted desperatly
          for the children to share the beauty of the gems - to let them see the
          sparkling colors for themselves. But they could not. They had forgotten how
          to open the chest! Then the Priest asked, WILL YOU HELP OPEN THE TREASURE
          OF FAITH?

          In that weeks bulletin an invitation to teach was inserted, at coffee hour
          many things like posters, teacher manuals, sample lesson plans were
          displayed the bulletin boards covered with everthing for a srong visual
          impact.
          The people responded and it was a great year, of course our theme that year
          was TREASURE. Good Luck, have a great summer, Blessings

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dre-talk
        • shawn
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 5, 1999
            Hi,
            I'll respond to the topic but I also had a few concerns I wish to share.
            Do you DRE's work in an office or from home?both?
            Do you have set hours or flex time?
            Does your job require you work during the summer in the office or are you
            able to organize and work from home during the summer time? Does anyone
            incorporate the Religious Education and Youth Activities into ONE program?

            Our Diocese most recently lost both our Rel Ed Director and Director of
            Youth Activities this month. We are in a transitional period of confusion
            and I just wondered how everyone else is doing and also a bit of advice for
            establishing a successful and comfortable work environment for our parish.
            Before I recruit further for the next term, I'd like to make sure my office
            is in tact and organized.

            As for the topic, I put announcements in the bulletin immediately after the
            last class. I never have a problem with teachers as I am excessively
            motivated and positive and surround myself with others of the same nature,
            which always encourages others to join our team. We are a happy group,
            regardless of the confusion around us, We pray alot too.

            We have teachers meetings monthly and offer inservice at that time. The
            Diocese offers certification and my teachers attend slowly, but they do
            attend. We don't as a collective group feel these classes offer what we
            need, but since its a requirement, we go.
            So I attempt to offer other speakers etc, on classroom motivation,
            preparation, teaching skills, and activities and service projects for
            classes.

            This year we have two important additions to our program. A master calendar
            in my office of all PARISH activities so we can promote those to our
            students/families and a monthly calendar to send to the families as well.
            Secondly, we will meet as a collective group of catechists for 4 weeks (at
            the current religious classroom time) 10 am Sunday, for refresher
            techniques, team teachers to get to know one another, prepare our
            classrooms and organize materials..That way, first Sunday won't be so
            hectic and the teachers will be comfortable, making their students
            comfortable as well.

            Shawn

            ----------

          • pknotz
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 5, 1999
              Hi all,
              First I'd like to respond to Shawn and some of his concerns, most of which we have all had I'm sure.  It is hard to know just what to suggest since I don't know the size of your staff or parish, and how your pastor works with you (or doesn't)  I began in a small parish as the only staff person.  If that is your case, you need to have a heart to heart with the pastor after deciding what you need and what office hours are fair and just if you are doing it all.  I have found that pastors like set office hours so that you can be present to parishioners who drop by and to answer phone calls that cover so many areas in religious education.  It is also very good to become known to the parishioners and when they see you are there working for them, I believe you become more credible and professional.  Also, no one has any idea how much DRE's do at home, except other DRE'S, and especially other staff in general don't realize we do anything at home.  Seeing is believing.  I have seen mistrust develop over those working out of their homes too much.  However, if you are not paid for summer, or the salary is low, I know DRE's who take some months off and try to plan early for the fall.
              If you have a large staff, (pastoral and R.E.) you have to be aware of the others jobs being very different, and be sure to document much of what you do that is not in the office.  As far as flex time or in our diocese, compensatory time, for hours worked above the 40-45 hour work week, you should definitely have that or be paid overtime, depending on what your diocese or pastor says.  Be sure to keep track on paper.  It is a pain, but you will not regret it.
              Our parish is now 3700 families, not small anymore, and much of what I have said is from experience.  I was Youth Minister and DRE in the beginning, 14 years ago.  If that is what you are doing you must set priorities.  I had to depend on the catechists to teach at the pre-school, elementary, and middle school level and spent most of my time with high school and the planning duties of a DRE.  The concept of total youth ministry is a good one.  In Galveston-Houston diocese where I am, this has been our focus for years.  There are many ways to do this, as you probably know.
              I hope that this helped you Shawn.  Please email back if you want more specific answers and give details of your situation.

              Catechist Recruitment and training:
              Recruitment is ongoing, but one of our best ways to get new catechists and to get the forms in on the experienced ones is by sending a Catechist Volunteer sheet in with the registration forms for next CCE year.  We do an all parish mailout of registration forms in April.  They are due back on May 31.  Of course we continue to get forms all summer and into October, but many forms do come in and with them sheets filled out by parents wanting to be catechists for their child.  We also do not charge the catechist any fee except what the child's book costs. This early registration also helps us to get the data into the computer and not have such a rush in the fall.  We are a large suburban parish outside Houston and have many new families coming every month, especially in summer.  This is a way they feel they can get involved in a new parish.  We take time with them if they come into the office.  It is great for us to be there in the summer.  We have a wonderful receptionist for religious education who has a jar full of lollipops or other seasonal candy on her desk for all of the children who come in with parents.  She spends so much time talking with the parents and children that they become fast friends and want to come back again.   ( a hiring tip)

              Peace and blessings.
              Eleanor Notz
> [...]

              manipulate
              > your subscription and read the archives. > > If you know anyone who wishes to subscribe they can do so at > dre-talk-subscribe@egroups.com or forward their email address to me and I
              can
              > directly subscribe them. If you have any questions you can email me
              outside
              > the list at Katveee@.... > > Peace, > Kathy > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Make the News Come to you! > FREE email newsletters sent directly to your in-box > USAToday, Forbes, Wired, and more. Sign-up NOW! > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/316 > > > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dre-talk > http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications > > >

              click here
              Click Here!

            • kabarkdull@if.rmci.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 28, 1999
                <7a9ca095.2485494-@...> wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/dre-talk/?start=43
                >As far as recruiting catechists, I have found that a personal phone call is usually the most effective way of getting the volunteers I need. Occasionally, someone will come to me because of a notice in the bulletin but personal contact seems to work the best.

                My catechist training is usually done on a deanery level. Our diocese, Idaho, is predominately rural and our deanery which is located in the southeast has only two parishes that have more than 750 families. Most of our religious education programs are small so we have found it beneficial to join forces and do most of our training as a deanery. Through a grant from one of our local Knights of Columbus groups, we purchased as a deanery the Echoes of Faith faith formation videos. We plan to meet for a full day session in the fall using the
                Catechetical & Methodological Modules. This way catechists from throughout the deanery can view the videos that will be helpful for them and it will also give them a chance to network with other catechists. Most of our parishes are lucky if they have one catechist for each grade level and these sessions give them a chance to discuss the topics they are dealing with with someone else who understands what they are going through. It also gives all the DRE's an opportunity to network and provide support for one another.

                As my parish is small, about 450 families, I usually incorporate any other catechist training such as liturgy, sacraments, scripture, etc. into our adult religious education or RCIA. No sense reinventing the wheel.

                If there are any others out there who have any suggestions or comments regarding religious education in a rural environment, please let me know. I am particularily interested in anyone who works with hispanic communities. Our parish is approx. 60% hispanic which takes some creativity at times.

                God bless,
                Kathy

              • KMVDIV@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 30, 1999
                  In a message dated 6/3/99 1:02:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time, STMPRelEd@...
                  writes:

                  << the usual altar pleas, bulletin, face to face, ask a friend to ask
                  a friend, ask each teacher to recruit one new teacher etc. >>

                  On the subject of recruitment before the month of June is over - some
                  thoughts and ideas I picked up at a workshop on volunteers:

                  1. How many volunteers were you able to recruit last year?

                  2. How many volunteers would you like to recruit next year?

                  What methods of recruiting have you been using?
                  List them and then rank them according tohow effective or ineffective
                  they have been.

                  GIFTS TO VOLUNTEERS

                  The Gift of Praise
                  Appropriate mention, in front of others, of superior qualities or of
                  a job or deed well done.

                  The Gift of Consideration
                  Being careful of the volunteer’s feelings. This includes seeing his
                  or her viewpoint and having the humility to say “You’re right and I am wrong.”

                  The Gift of Gratitude
                  Never forgetting to say “thank you,” and never failing to mean it.

                  The Gift of Attention
                  Listening attentively when the volunteer speaks. If their words are
                  directed to you personally, meet his or her eyes squarely.

                  The Gift of Inspiration
                  Planting seeds of courage and action in the volunteer’s heart.
                  Helping him or her to strive for greater accomplishment and lasting
                  satisfaction.

                  1. What can you do to give the gift of praise to your volunteers?

                  2. What can you do to give the gift of consideration to your volunteers?

                  3. What can you do to give the gift of gratitude to your volunteers?

                  4. What can you do to give the gift of attention to your volunteers?

                  5. What can you do to give the gift of inspiration to your volunteers?

                  6. What can you do to give the gift of presence to your volunteers?

                  At our parish we try to have a "Witness Sunday" once a year to bring in new
                  share how being part of the Religious Education Program has helped them grow
                  spiritually and what they have gotten back from it. Following mass there is
                  a table to sign up if you might be interested in helping or to answer
                  questions, then there is an invitation to an information night followed by a
                  personal phone call.
                  Questions asked that night include:

                  1. Are you interested enough to read, study and broaden your
                  understanding of youth, church, and your own personal relationship with God?

                  2. Being part of the religious education program is a way that
                  you can experience more in the way of spiritual growth? Are you willing
                  to invest in it?

                  We've been gifted with some wonderful catechists over the years.

                  Kathy

                  eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dre-talk
                • Larry Qualls
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 30, 1999

                    Please change Cathy Qualls' E-Mail address to clqualls@....

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 30, 1999

                    • DAN1SCHWIE@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 30, 1999
                        Hi,

                        Often in finding Catechist we get discouraged. I find it important to
                        remember what Jesus prayed about and also what he asked us to pray about -
                        Pray that the master of the vineyard send workers. For the harvest is great
                        and the workers are few. The prayer hasn't changed much in 2,000 years. But
                        then if this was the prayer of Jesus, then I shouldn't be too discouraging if
                        I need to say the same prayer!! Or am I of less faith and fear that the
                        master will not hear. Remember Jesus was human also!!

                        One part of the question for me is finding catechists in the inner city
                        Hispanic and poor parish or any where really and another is learning to take
                        the faith where the people are and need it (where the harvest is). Most of
                        the people in my parish do not bring their children to the church (in the US
                        less than 48% of our Catholic school age children participate in a formal
                        formational program in any given year) nor do adults willing come forward to
                        help at "the church." This is for a number of reasons which are difficult to
                        address. Five years ago I began taking our catechetical programs to the
                        public schools (where the harvest -children- were) in our parish and four
                        neighboring parishes. Ten public schools altogether. We increased
                        enrollment from 500 up to 1,200 students (two of the public schools were
                        inside our parish but the other schools generally had overlapping boundaries
                        with a neighboring parish and were located in "their" area). None of the
                        neighboring parishes had a decrease in enrollment and none of them complained
                        that we were stealing their "sheep" either. So we understand we all work for
                        the same master -- just some of us get the joy of seeing more of the harvest
                        as well as workers. Now, I'm not so sure some of my Protestant brothers and
                        sisters feel the same way about this effort since the public school has
                        generally been their evangelization (harvesting) fields! Our Sunday school
                        enrollment actually went up a bit when we went out to the public schools. At
                        the same time we reopened our Catholic Day School which had been closed about
                        20 years.

                        The interesting experience with volunteers was that the Catholic teachers and
                        staffs in these public schools became "volunteers" to "their children".
                        Theirs or ours? Many of these people had or were teaching in their parishes
                        and now just extended their public school day (they were free to do this on
                        campus 15 minutes after school closed with no problems concerning church and
                        state separation) to help us teach "kids." I have less complaints from the
                        25 public classroom teachers whose classrooms we use at the public schools
                        than from the five teachers in our Catholic Day School - and the public
                        school cleans up after us!!! (If you are interesting in how all this works
                        teaching "catechism" in the public school with its blessing and no cost, let
                        me know.) Also the parents are used to be asked to volunteer at school and
                        are willing because it is "for their children." The PTO presidents are often
                        Catholics since our schools are on the average about 85% Hispanic (another
                        internal agent to help find volunteers). But even our Protestant principals
                        love that we are teaching "values" and "citizenship responsibilities" to the
                        students (in reality we teach the same program to the children on Sunday with
                        the same books -- we are two poor to afford a book for each child). The
                        principals pass out the announcement flyers/registration forms via the
                        teachers, collect them for us, assign the classrooms, and motivate their
                        staffs to support us (wouldn't it be nice to have pastors and Catholic School
                        principals and staff who did all those things for us)?

                        The result has been that there is still always a challenge to find enough
                        volunteers but in the end we usually have aboutr two adults in the classrooms
                        with 12 to 15 students. In service takes place with the same success as with
                        the Sunday school teachers. The nice thing is that the teachers, the
                        students, and I all get to know and share better in the week day programs
                        because the Sunday numbers and "get to mass rush" are not there.

                        A VERY IMPORTANT POINT: Since we now have catechesis at 12 different times in
                        our parish at up to 10 sites we have over come a mathematical problem of just
                        so many people are free at one time (Sunday morning or whatever the
                        Catechesis time). Now when someone asks when they can help we can truthfully
                        say any day of the week. With the strange schedules people have, we have
                        more time slots and locations (I don't have transportation excuse!) open and
                        thus more people are able to come forward to volunteer. Our weekday programs
                        take no volunteers away from our Sunday morning main programs. In fact many
                        of our public school volunteers come in to help on Sunday as well as
                        weekdays. Especially do they help during the sacramental intensive which
                        lasts for four months over and above what "their" children are doing in their
                        regular "catechism" classes. The sacramental program for first communion and
                        confession (only done at the parish plant on weekends) has grown from 50 to
                        200 candidates each year.

                        The key to volunteers is to meet "their" needs first and the human response
                        is to do something back for you. The other fact is the harvest must need the
                        workers according to the prayer! Are we out there where the harvest is? Or
                        are we waiting for the fields to come to us (how about the 52% of the
                        children who are not in our programs - on a national average)?

                        The results for our parish is the size has grown from under 1,000 to over
                        2,000 and we have seen no new housing in our area -- we are inner city and
                        have actually lost housing). We stilll have three English masses but now
                        have three (verses one six years ago) masses in Spanish for a total of six
                        each weekend. We still have only one preist and another who is there to help
                        on Sunday with at least one.

                        Are the volunteers there? Yes. Are they enough? No? But we continue to
                        pray for more! Is that for students or catechists? If we are there where
                        the harvest is, the workers will come. Yahweh is faithful.

                        I hope this wan't too long, Kathy and other readers!!!
                        Dan

                        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dre-talk