Re: [dre-talk] Gulp! Here I take a risk.

  • Joy
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
      I am familiar with this idea because I am involved with an Educational
      Co-operative. This concept is similar to educational co-operatives. We
      have found advantages and disadvantages. The advantages are obvious, I
      think. (build a network or ministry of teachers) The disadvantages we have
      found are coordination, lack of commitment from the instructors (no shows
      and cancels).

      We have moved toward the multidimensional rotational method as a ministry --
      where one instructor teaches one topic over and over (modifying it to fit
      the age group) works best. The kids rotate through the teachers. It has
      worked best for us to provide the lesson plans and extension ideas and offer
      some flexibility. They start by teaching the youngest age group and go
      through each age group progressively. If there is room preparation, then
      the room does not have to be reassembled each week. The kids move through
      the room instead of the teacher through the kids. The teacher gets very
      good at the lesson and is comfortable with it by the time the more
      challenging older students come through their class!

      This is often used by Vacation Bible School ministries. The concept has been
      well utilized by many protestant churches http://www.rotation.org/

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
        We have over 1200 children and require that our catechists be certified before they teach, but I am intrigued by your idea and wish you the best.
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • DiCarloLDC@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
          In a message dated 3/1/2003 12:53:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          Mary_Fran_Cassidy@... writes:

          > We have over 1200 children and require that our catechists be certified
          > before they teach, but I am intrigued by your idea and wish you the best.

          What type of certification do you use for them - and are you ever short
          catechists because of this requirement?

        • sherylzeis
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2003
            From what I understand, we have used a similar model in the past in
            my parish (I've only been here 8 months, so I just have to go by what
            I have been told), but have semi-gotten away from it in the past few
            years. Our religious ed. program is relatively small (about 26 in
            grades 6-8, and 35 in grades 9-11 this year - those are the grades
            that are under me) even though we are in a large parish (2300
            families). We have been using the classroom model in middle school,
            but in high school, we have combined the grades and each of the small
            group leaders has taken a class to present. This has worked
            relatively well, but in listening in, I am a little concerned about
            some of the things I was hearing (none of the group leaders are
            certified catechists - we have big problems with that). But overall,
            I like the model and I will probably continue to use some version of
            it.

            Next year, I am facing a situation where I only have one returning
            group leader, which is actually a blessing in disguise. What I'm
            hoping to do is to recruit various members of the community to do the
            major presentations over the course of the year (we have 12 - 2 hour
            classes), and have the group leaders just facilitate small group
            discussions and activities. I think that this will be a chance to
            involve more of the young adults in the parish in ministry (we are
            right outside a university campus so we have a lot of them) because
            they won't be intimidated by having to actually stand up in front of
            a large group and teach, and it will be a chance to hopefully utilize
            some of the older adults who have years of wisdom and knowledge to
            share, but don't want or can't do a major time committment.

            --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, "lastdazeman <ldmihm@i...>"