Re: [dre-talk] compensation and benefits

  • Kathy Barkdull
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2000
      Susan
      I am a DRE/Office Manager in a rural parish in eastern Idaho. In our diocese no
      lay ministers other than Catholic school principals and teachers are allowed to
      have contracts. As in your diocese we have personnel guidelines but they are
      also strictly advisory and left up to the discrection of the pastor. Also the
      state of Idaho is a hire & fire-at-will state which the diocese adheres to in
      the personnel guidelines. We can be fired at the whim of the pastor without
      much recourse. The diocesan Human Resource office is in the process of
      reviewing the current guidelines but I do not see much progress at this time. I
      have 28 years experience in bookkeeping, 15 years experience in religious
      education and I have just completed the LIMEX program through Loyola University
      with a certificate degree in pastoral administration but I do not have any more
      job security than the high school student who mows the lawn. Because I am a
      full time employee the parish pays into my retirement fund but the parish is not
      required and chooses not to provide health insurance.
      Your question comes at a time when many of our parish employees are struggling
      with this question. I wish you luck with your diocese.

      Kathy

    • scsbaglynn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2000
        Susan,

        I also serve in an affluent urban parish. I have a contract (July 1 to
        June 30) renewable each year. My compensation package includes:

        1. Salary $43,000 per year
        2. Medical Benefits employee pays 10% of cost
        3. Full dental coverage
        4. Life Insurance
        5. Five weeks vacation each year
        6. Ten days a year for sick days
        7. One week for Retreat
        8. $1500 a year for professional development
        9. Milage reimbursement up to $450 a year

        My job description of course, is very explicit and
        ranges from "womb to tomb". I have been in the parish for 12 years.
        One other thing.... for the past 6 years, I have had a 3% raise in salary
        each year...not a whole lot, but it helps. I'm single and my sole source of
        support. Also, this is a very expensive area to live in. Hope this helps.

        Barbara