April Topic - First Communion Celebrations

  • katveee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2002

      Welcome to any new members of Dre-talk.  My name is Kathy and I along with NPCD (National Association of Parish Catechetical Directors) Executive Board, part of the Religious Education Department of NCEA, own and manage this list.  Click Here: Department of Religious Education
      for the National Association of Parish Catechetical Directors (A professional organization for Parish Catechetical Leaders)

      The 2002 NPCD National Convocation for DRE's and Catechetical Leaders begins tomorrow, Tuesday April 2 in Atlantic City.   Please pray  that the week will be a wonderful time of insight, sharing and prayer.

      I will be facilitating a workshop for attendees to share experiences of using technology 1)to organize the office (software etc.), 2) for more effective communication, and 3) to tell the Story.   I hope to see many of you soon.  If you are attending the workshop, bring websites to share and samples of what your favorite programs can do.

      Generally, from September to May, a topic is posted each month as a
      discussion starter, not as a discussion limiter. (Members are free to post on any subject relating to faith formation or directing and/or coordinating Religious Education Programs in parishes.)

      ON VIRUSES:  PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH FILES TO YOUR DRE-TALK MESSAGES. Files can be uploaded to our Web address site.

      The topic for April is First Communion Celebrations.  How do you involve children, families and parish community in First Communion Liturgies.  Share what you do to make the day special for each child while maintaining the prayerfulness of the celebration.

      ALL emails sent to DRE-talk go out to nearly 350 group members.  This and other egroup lists have a default so that when you receive an email from dre-talk and wish to reply to the sender, both the "send now" and the "send later" buttons go to the entire list. To send an individual reply to the "sender" of the email,  you must "manually" insert the individual recipient's email address in the address line and delete the Dre-talk address

      Otherwise your reply will go to all 340+ of us even if it is a "Thank You" for a specific idea.

      Some of the topics discussed over the past month are:   The emotional upheaval in our church over the various scandals;  publisher textbook resources; using the "Rite" book; Confirmation Retreat Activities; Thoughts on Becoming a DRE.

      1.   An NPCD initiative for NPCD members is DRE Clusters.  DRE's
           that sign up are matched up with 3 other DRE'/Coordinators and
           asked to communicate four times a year - by email, snail mail,
           telephone or in person on any subject of interest to them. This is
           another way to network and resource each other.  If you aren't
           currently a member of NPCD, consider becoming part of an
           organization of nearly 2000 DRE's across the US.

      2.   Dre-talk is an egroup list that is part of Yahoo. They are the ones
           who, at no cost to us, distribute our mail and put the ads on our
           messages.  They also provide us with other services that include
           our own Home Page. In order to access the Dre-talk Home Page
           and features, members must register with Yahoo as well as
           subscribe to Dre-talk.
           The web address for egroups:  Click here: Yahoo! Groups
        or go to
           www.Yahoogroups.com and follow the directions to identify your
           email address with yahoo groups.  Register if you haven't. Then log
           in.  Once you are logged in  you will see a list of groups to which you
           subcribe.  Click on Dre-talk and follow the directions to change your
           subcription or click to access the other features.

           If you have friends that wish to subscribe to Dre-talk. Cut and paste
           the following  Click here: Yahoo! Groups: dre-talk Subscribe
           email it to them.

      3.   Web page and email features

      The main feature of course, is the list. Most of you receive individual emails of each message.  If that is too much mail for you, you may want to switch to the daily digest (all messages for the day sent in one
      mail), or web-only access.

      Remember you have to be registered with Yahoo! Groups first to manipulate your subscription to dre-talk.

      A Reminder: Please refrain from passing on stories, prayer chains, etc.,
      unless they are directly related to what we do as Catechetical Leaders and DRE's or can be used for Catechetical Formation in some way.

      Files is the place where files with lesson plans, meeting agendas, prayer services, etc., can be uploaded.  Posts have been organized and edited on Catechist Issues, Children's Liturgy of the Word, Children With Special Needs. Confirmation Issues, Parent Handbooks, RCIA for Children, VBS, and Sharing Space Issues for easier access and reading.  I'll continue to organize posts to add to the files.  However, any member can add files with lesson plans, workshop ideas, stories to use, etc., to the files.

      In general, it is safer to place large quantities of information in a file
      and upload it to our web page, than it is to attach them to an email
      that needs to be downloaded. (I'm no expert on viruses, but the
      "egroup genies" tell me we shouldn't open attachments sent out to large
      groups of people.)  Also depending on the underlying software on individual computers, some may have trouble deciphering downloaded attachments.

      Original posts are still in the archives. There have been well over a 2000 posts since the group began in March 1999. These can be viewed by thread, topic title or by date on the Home Page

      Bookmarks has links to publishers, resources and websites that may be helpful to Religious Educators.  Feel free to add your favorites.

      There is a poll feature that can be used to pose questions to the group and record and tabulate the results.

      Database is a membership database.  If you haven't done so, consider going there and filling out as much information as you are comfortable sharing.  There may be someone geographically close that you can network with easily.

      Chat is a chat room.  If someone wants to organize a chat, feel free to do so.  Set up a time and topic and post it to the group.  Make sure you let us know what time zone.

      Post message: dre-talk@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: dre-talk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      The above should help you make better use of Dre-talk.  If you are unable to access any of the features, please email me off list at Katveee@...

      Easter Blessings!