November Topic: Support From Pastors

  • katveee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
      Greetings to the Body of Christ - all you Saints in formation!!

      Welcome to any new members of Dre-talk.  My name is Kathy and I along with NPCD (National Association of Parish Catechetical Directors) Executive Board, part of the Religious Education Department of NCEA, own and manage this list.  Click Here: Department of Religious Education
      for the National Association of Parish Catechetical Directors (A professional organization for Parish Catechetical Leaders)

      Generally, from September to May, a topic is posted each month as a
      discussion starter, not as a discussion limiter. (Members are free to post on any subject relating to faith formation or directing and/or coordinating Religious Education Programs in parishes.)

      The topic for November is "Support From Pastors."  How do you interact and communicate with your pastor?  Do you have regular staff meetings?  Is he present and visible when RE is in session or has a special activity?  Let's hear about the positives, the less than perfect, and dreams for the future.

      REMINDERS:
      ALL emails sent to DRE-talk go out to over 300 group members.  This and other egroup lists have a default so that when you receive an email from dre-talk and wish to reply to the sender, both the "send now" and the "send later" buttons go to the entire list.   To send an individual reply to the "sender" of the email,  you must "manually" cut and paste the individual recipient's email address in the address line and delete the Dre-talk address

      Otherwise your reply will go to all 300+ of us even if it is a "Thank You" for a specific idea.

      Some of the topics discussed over the past month are: Music for Religious Ed Classes; Budgets; Presentation of Bible Service; and a survey of Catechetical Sunday Celebrations.

      NEW MEMBERS INFORMATION AND REMINDERS

      1.   An NPCD initiative for NPCD members is DRE Clusters.  DRE's
            that sign up are matched up with 3 other DRE/Coordinators and
            asked to communicate four times a year - by email, snail mail,
            telephone or in person on any subject of interest to them. This is
            another way to network and resource each other.  If you aren't
            currently a member of NPCD, consider becoming part of an
            organization of nearly 2000 DRE's across the US.

      2.   Dre-talk is an egroup list that is part of Yahoo. They are the ones,
            who at no cost to us, distribute our mail and put the ads on our
            messages.  They also provide us with other services that include
            our own Home Page.  In order to access the Dre-talk Home Page,
            members must register with Yahoo as well as subscribe to Dre-talk.
            Yahoo has changed the web address for egroups:
            Click here: Yahoo! Groups
      or go to www.Yahoogroups.com and
            follow the directions to identify your email address with yahoo
            groups.

            If you have friends that wish to subscribe to Dre-talk. Cut and paste
            the following  Click here: Yahoo! Groups: dre-talk Subscribe
      and
            email it to them.

      3.   Web page and email features:
           The main feature of course, is the list.  Most of you receive
            individual emails of each message.  If that is too much mail for you,
            you may want to switch to the daily digest (all messages for the day
            sent in one mail), or web-only access.

            Remember you have to be registered with Yahoo! Groups first to
            manipulate your subscription to dre-talk.

            A Reminder: Please refrain from passing on stories, prayer chains,
            etc., unless they are directly related to what we do as Catechetical
            leaders or can be used for Catechetical Formation in some way.

            Files is the place where lesson plans, meeting agendas, prayer
            services, etc., can be uploaded.  Posts have been organized and
            edited on Catechist Issues, Children's Liturgy of the Word, Children
            With Special Needs. Confirmation Issues, Parent Handbooks, RCIA
            for Children, VBS, and Sharing Space Issues for easier access and
            reading.  I'll continue to organize posts to add to the files.  However,
            any member can add files with lesson plans, workshop ideas,
            stories to use, etc., to the files.

      ON VIRUSES
      In general, it is safer to place large quantities of information in a file
      and upload it to our web page, than it is to attach it to an email
      that needs to be downloaded. (I'm no expert on viruses, but the
      "egroup genies" tell me we shouldn't open attachments sent out to large
      groups of people.)  Also, depending on the underlying software on individual computers, some may have trouble deciphering downloaded attachments.

      Original posts are still in the archives. There have been well over a 2000 posts since the group began in March 1999. These can be viewed by thread, topic title or by date on the Home Page

            Bookmarks has links to publishers, resources and websites that
            may be helpful to Religious Educators.  Feel free to add your
            favorites.

            There is a poll feature that can be used to pose questions to the
            group and record and tabulate the results.

            Database is a membership database.  If you haven't done so,
            consider going there and filling out as much information as you are
            comfortable sharing.  There may be someone geographically close
            that you can network with easily.

            Chat is a chat room.  If someone wants to organize a chat, feel free
            to do so.  Set up a time and topic and post it to the group.  Make
            sure you let us know what time zone.

      ADDRESSES FOR RESOURCE
      Post message: dre-talk@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: dre-talk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      The above should help you make better use of Dre-talk.  If you are unable to access any of the features, please email me off list at Katveee@...

      May this November be a time of Peace and Thanksgiving for each of you!

      Kathy Viele, Dre-talk Moderator
      DRE Beatitudes of Our Lord Parish
      13013 So. Santa Gertrudes
      La Mirada, CA 90638
      562/943-5678

    • The Geene Family
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
        We have a calendar meeting which is called "staffing" each month.  At this meeting each administrator goes over the activities that he or she has planned for the next month or two.  Issues really are not dealt with at this meeting because the calendar stuff takes up all the time.

        As of this fall, we now have a parish administrators meeting once a month as well.  This is not a calendar meeting, but is an issues and vision meeting where we discuss upcoming parish activities, or policy issues or anything else that comes up.

        Father attends both of these meetings.

        Father is involved in RCIA when he is available.  Since SMRE is between his two masses ( at two different parishes)  he doesn't really have involvement with the Sunday Morning kids, but except for Friday school mass he really doesn't have much contact with the school kids either.

        He isn't very good at praise,  but so long as you are doing your job he doesn't meddle much either.

        I would say that we have a pretty good working relationship.  I get the support I need from him when issues warrant it.  I might wish for a bit more from him in some areas,  but if there had to be a trade off ( lose something he does now to get something more)  I would keep the status quo.

        Maggie
      • Micheleiw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
          It would be helpful to us on the NPCD (National Association of Parish
          Catechetical Directors) Executive Committee to get a clearer picture of what
          is meant by "support from pastors." When we send our report to the Bishops on
          the issues affecting catechetical leaders, they appreciate the input from
          across the country that puts "flesh" on the issues.

          In one conversation with catechetical leaders, one person said that it meant
          there is clarity in performance expectations and agreement on priorities
          .
          Others meant affirmation and having someone support decisions.

          Others broadened the pastor support to pastoral support to include associates
          (parochial vicars), seminarians, principals, and other leaders.

          Some felt ongoing formation, appreciation of the role of catechetical
          leaders, or financial compensation were involved in the word "support."

          I guess sometimes in our roles as catechetical leaders we can tell when it is
          missing better than when it is present. If you have some ideas on how to
          improve pastor support--success stories--, please include them.

          Whatever your experience, your response is helpful to get a broader picture.
          Thank you for your input.

          Michele Idiart Walsh
          West Region NPCD Rep
        • HeartJD19@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
            It's my personal opinion that the basic need of anyone in parish ministry re:
            support from a pastor is knowing that he regards the minister as a competent,
            faith-filled professional. The rest (compensation, presence at meetings and
            events, staff meetings, etc.) flows from that basic regard.

            In my own case, I have a relatively new (since Jan. 2001) pastor who supports
            me and the rest of the staff in the way I mention above. He has pretty much
            of an "open door" policy for interaction with us. It is very easy to ask for
            time to test an idea or plan for a meeting. And, he seeks us out for advice
            and counsel as well. Before he came on board, we had staff meetings three
            times month. Now we meet every week for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

            He has another ministry responsibility outside the parish that will conclude
            in about 7 months. After that, he will not have to divide his time and
            energy as much as he does now. Because of that time and energy problem, he
            cannot be as visible to the parents and the children in the RE program as he
            would like. Recently, our coordinator of children (pre-school through junior
            high) moved her "Back to School Night" to a "Back to School Sunday Morning"
            after one of the masses. The pastor came to the event, spoke to the parents
            and children, and stayed to help us clean up! He made a point of saying to
            my coordinator and me that he especially wanted to spend the morning with
            this community because he felt he was a bit derelict in his duty to them. He
            wanted a chance to get to know them better.

            I don't want to paint too rosy a picture here. We still have a lot of things
            to accomplish and work out, but it's so much easier to do when there is a
            basic human regard, one for the other, on a team or staff.

            Joan
            Los Angeles
          • Frances Rossi
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
              I would like to have a pastor who respects me as a professional and as a
              Catholic Christian. I would like him to be someone with whom I can discuss
              issues and policies, who listens sympathetically and openly and feels free
              to comment, who can give and take. And, maybe this is most important, I
              would like a pastor who will support me and my decisions, standing with me
              if they are disputed.

              This last criterion is very important, since we all know parishioners who
              will attempt to go over the head of the DRE to the pastor in order to get
              their way. We all end up in binds from time to time, in which we have to
              make choices that a parent does not agree with---perhaps in dealing with a
              serious discipline problem, for example. There is nothing so undermining
              than to have the pastor take the side of the angry parent instead of
              upholding the decision of the DRE. I know pastors hate to alienate their
              flock, but there are times when it's also important to maintain the esprit
              de corps of the ministry staff.