Re: Sponsor Classes

  • Frank Koob
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      The revised Confirmation Program "Confirmed in a Faithful Community"
      by St. Mary's Press has a nice sponsor component for high school
      level confirmation prep, including a book and a video.
      http://www.smp.org

      The RCL program for RCIA "Foundations in Faith" has a nice sponsor
      component. http://www.rclweb.com

      The LTP program for baptism prep has good materials for preparing
      baptism sponsors. http://www.ltp.org/

      I hope these leads are helpful.

      Frank
      Divine Providence
      Westchester, IL
    • Resource Center
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        > The revised Confirmation Program "Confirmed in a Faithful Community"
        > by St. Mary's Press has a nice sponsor component for high school
        > level confirmation prep, including a book and a video.
        > http://www.smp.org
        >
        > The RCL program for RCIA "Foundations in Faith" has a nice sponsor
        > component. http://www.rclweb.com
        >
        > The LTP program for baptism prep has good materials for preparing
        > baptism sponsors. http://www.ltp.org/
        >
        > I hope these leads are helpful.
        >
        > Frank
        > Divine Providence
        > Westchester, IL

      • Mark Nuehring
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
          Frank and all you other creative ministers in the
          vineyard,

          I would appreciate hearing if anyone has found a
          resource for sponsors (or mentors) to use with the
          candidates in a discernment process. I would like the
          mentor to meet regularly with their candidate to help
          the candidate reflect on their life and see the
          connection to their faith story. Then, help the
          candidate decide whether this is the time to continue
          seeking the Sacrament in a more formal way.

          Does anyone know if such a resource is available?

          I would appreciate all the help you can give.

          Mark

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • PastoralAssoc97@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
            MNuehring@... writes:

            Frank and all you other creative ministers in the
            vineyard,

            I would appreciate hearing if anyone has found a
            resource for sponsors (or mentors) to use with the
            candidates in a discernment process. I would like the
            mentor to meet regularly with their candidate to help
            the candidate reflect on their life and see the
            connection to their faith story. Then, help the
            candidate decide whether this is the time to continue
            seeking the Sacrament in a more formal way.

            Does anyone know if such a resource is available?

            I would appreciate all the help you can give.

            Mark,
                  The only resource for Confirmation that I have found that has the
            sponsor take on the role of mentor is from Harcourt Religioun.  It is part of
            their sacrament series Celebrating our Faith.  It is 8 sessions with the
            candidates and the sponsors/mentors.  The candidate and mentor work on a
            different topic at each session.  There is a catechatical segment and a large
            amount of faith sharing on the part of the mentor and candidate.
                  This is the program that I use with my 8th grade.  It has work well
            for us.  I have had candidates after the 8 sessions make the decision not to
            be confirmed at that time.  They felt that they were not ready.
                  I hope this helps.

            Donna Marie
          • wc_josmith
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14, 2001
              Dear All,
              Thanks to all who helped with resources and suggestions. I have ordered some
              things from St. Anthony's Messenger as Mo suggested. I also found some things
              at Paulist Press. We are having a parish picnic this Sunday and plan on
              walking around and talking to lots of people to encourage them to at least
              find out what Sponsoring is all about. Former RCIA candidates have offered to
              help. I'll let you know how it goes.
              I do appreciate the feedback. It really helps.
              Pax,
              Joan

              Joan Smith
              Waterford Elementary School