Catechists

  • MARY ANN
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2001
      Well it is beginning to happen.   The Parish begins to talk about adding on or building and now some of the parishioners are beginning to leave to neighboring parishes.   The last two days I received two phone calls from last year catechists that they will be registering in the neighboring parish.   Catechists I will hate to see leave.
         So here I go again begging, praying and hoping I get the staff needed to fill all positions by September.
          Does any one have any really neat paragraphs for the Sunday bulletin about the need for catechists and aides?  How about any ideas?

      Mary Ann

    • The Geene Family
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2001
        I remember reading somewhere the top ten reasons for being a catechist.  Sort of like the David Letterman top ten lists.  I am sure that just about any DRE could come up with ten reasons ( some funny some serious) that would at least get the interest of future catechists out here,

        Hey maybe with our collective knowledge and skills we could come up with ten and all use them in our parishes.

        Here are the few that I can come up with off the top of my head.

         -    time off purgatory,

        -      sharing our love for Jesus and His Church with kids is the best kind of show and tell

        -      You can honestly say I am on the eternal pay plan,  you know, storing up treasures in heaven.

        Maggie
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2001
          Mary Ann, Oh how I can hear your frustration and can understand it!
          I've been there. I have some excellent bulletin ideas in the office,
          which I will look up and post for you when I get there today. But a
          cute one,is one my husband gave to me, done in calligraphy and
          framed, when I first became a DRE it says:

          "Work for the Lord, the pay isn't much,
          but the retirement plan is out of this world!"
          We could easily adapt it to say "Share your faith with a child, the
          pay isn't much (or there is no pay), but the rewards are out of this
          world!" I promise a few more later on! Nancy
        • Igfjoann@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2001
            Here are a couple from me:

            Ten Top Reasons to Be a Catechist

            - You really learn what it means to "walk HUMBLY with God."
            - You learn things that you didn't know; that you didn't know.
            - You get to believe like a child again.
            - You gain the sense of being part of both the present and future of the
            Church.

            A prayer for us all.  "May God move the hearts of His people that they
            respond to His call so that, we all may have the right people in the right
            places in our programs."

            JoAnn

          • Sister Susanne
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2001
              Reasons for being a catechist:

              Preparing lessons opens your heart and gives God an opportunity to teach you.
              You may meet one person in eternity who is there because God used your words and your love (this will make every sacrifice worthwhile).  Sr. Susanne Bunn, MHSH

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2001
                Mary Ann

                A saying that I found, & could be applied to any ministry is:

                "The Call to Ministry includes all the promises and blessed assurance of
                God's grace and the gifts of the Holy Spirit."

                Kathy
              • bjndre323@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2001
                  How about

                        1.  Provides an opportunity to share one's faith - for me faith
                  doesn't come alive until it is shared.

                        Barbara Nichols

                • MARY ANN
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 3, 2001
                    Wow! This group is terrific.  You have really given me some great ideas for the bulletin.  I will let you know how it goes.
                        This is that time of year of gathering catechists.   Sometimes I look at the schedule and it doesn't look so good.   So than I have to remember to pray first.  Somehow it all comes together.

                    Mary Ann