[dre-talk] No Subject

  • MICHAEL A BARONE
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2000
      Hello to all!
      Baby Anum Kara Jean Barone was born at 9:40PM Jan. 27th at 18.5 inches and 6Lbs. 4.8 oz. Dana and baby are doing fine! Thought you might like to know! Keep us all in your prayers!
      Peace in Christ through Mary!
      Michael A.Barone

      PS if you got this and don't know what it is about, it is because you are on our mailing list.
    • O'Conner
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2000
        Dear Dana & Michael....Congratulations! There is no greater reminder that the miracle of a new born child! Many Blessings and prayers!
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2000
          Dear Sue,

          We have 80 in Confirmation this year. The reason we do. The children from
          another parish and their parents decided to send them to our parish. Why?
          Because we make a concerted effort to be fun, loose, easy..and
          especially..informative to the parents always. The key is always parents and
          pastoral support. Do not feel this is your burden to bear or that you are
          doing a poor job because you cannot keep them. That simply is not true.
          You as a DRE can make sure you have excellent teachers, even better
          communication repeatedly with familes that do and do not attend, and you
          must have an interesting flair to draw the kids. The parents simply do not
          force the issue. We keep classes full this way. We teachers all take the
          intiative to make this a place the Kids WANT to be, rather than have to be.
          We serve pizza each week at 6:30 til 7:00..Classes begin at 7:00. This is a
          huge hit..socialization is so important to kids.

          As far as your pastor/Bishop issue, I'd truly write both men and carbon copy
          both. Explain how torn and uncomfortable you are feeling with this
          issue..After all, its their power struggle not yours.Then let them hash it
          out, step back. Then, when the decision is final, be honest and inform your
          parents in writing of what the decision is. And also, carbon the Bishop and
          Pastor with the parental letter you are sending. I wish you well, you cannot
          win in this one..Its just a plain power trip for some silly reason you are
          not aware of.

          Shawn

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2000
              A few years ago I worked on guidelines for First Reconciliation and
              Eucharist in the diocese where I was ministering at that time.
              After we read all the Church documents we were convinced that the proper
              sequence was Confirmation before Eucharist. Before that could happen we
              knew a lot of catechesis had to be done and so the order stayed as it was
              and Confirmation was received in 8th or 9th grade.

              My head tells me Confirmation should be received before Eucharist. But
              another part of me says that they need to understand what it means to be
              fully initiated. I have never been in a situation where Confirmation was
              later the ninth grade. I have experienced it at an earlier age and I prefer
              it be later, at least 8th grade. There is a little more maturity. As
              students beginning their teen-age years, they need to be awake to the
              action of the Holy Spirit in their lives. Hopefully our Confirmation
              programs are doing this.

              As for holding the students in our programs - I know many parents have them
              there to "get Confirmation." The challenge for us is to make our programs
              exciting and interesting so that the students will want to be there.

              I know the secret fear of all of us is - If we confirm earlier we might as
              well say good-by to them.

              Just this past week I held an "after Confirmation" meeting. I sent letters
              to all our public school students who had been confirmed
              (approximately 150). Seven came and promised they would be back for the
              next meeting in two weeks. I asked them to bring a friend and their
              response was "No, we like this small group." I think this is where we have
              to keep working - to convince them that Confirmation is not the end.
              Alice

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2000
                Sr. Alice,
                I agree that children older than 2nd grade will have a better understanding
                of confirmation. Also, I wonder how we would put another sacrament prep in
                that time frame. It would literally be squeezed in. I think 9-10th grade
                would be better. Our confirmation class is 11th grade, confirmed in the
                fall of their senior year, before things get too hectic. But we confirmed
                19 in Nov. and now have 6 coming weekly.

                I don't know when this year's class will be confirmed. Our diocese is
                planning a wonderful diocesan-wide confirmation celebration in our Superior
                Dome at NMU. All classes are to participate, 800-1000. A parish can only
                be excused for a serious conflict. The bishop will not be coming out to the
                parishes for confirmation in the year of 2000 at all. It is to experience
                Church as larger than parish, unity of the diocese, and as a pilgrimage.
                However, our priest, without consulting or notifying parents and students
                has opted out. The Bishop sent me a letter to distribute to the students
                and the pastor would not allow it. Now the bishop has told me that he will
                not come to our parish in Nov. He said the kids better be ready in May.
                And he will not give the pastor permission to confirm. Our parents and
                students do not know what is going on. I feel I'm being less than honest
                with them.

                As a parent of one of those students I am hurt that I was not allowed to be
                part of the decision, and believe I was not.. As DRE I feel I am in the
                middle between the pastor and the Bishop. I am also on the planning
                committee for the celebration and know what a wonderful liturgical
                celebration it will be. I suppose the worst that can happen is they will
                have to wait until 2001 to be confirmed. But will they feel cheated by not
                being given an opportunity to voice their oppinion? What do I do?
                Sue

              • koreens@home.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 12, 2000
                  You are singing my song, too!! What age is an ongoing discussion
                  at our coordinator (DRE) meetings. Some in our diocese celebrate
                  in second grade, others at fifth grade, some at sixth, seventh,
                  & ninth I think that's it, but that is enough!) If one diocese
                  cannot come to an agreement, we certainly know the church may
                  not & the challenges of this lie in hands such as ours. At our
                  first meeting with parents & children(we celebrate first reconciliation
                  & eucharist at grade two & confirmation in fifth grade) I address
                  the fact that there is no set age that the age is "the age of
                  discernment", I then refer to biblical times & church history
                  on how the sacraments have moved & as a church we are ever changing.
                  I invite parents & the candidates to "celebrate the fact that
                  the Holy Spirit is among us, just as the disciples did, that
                  they did not question the timing, they just experienced & were
                  keenly aware of the presence among them". This usually is the
                  last of any discussion on the topic, if there is other thoughts
                  in the subject we talk of every one journeying through this life
                  & that we are at different places, depths & distances, in each
                  of our journey with God. I agree that the lack of continuity
                  is sometimes frustrating (especially when people move & change
                  parishes) & finding programs can sometimes be a challenge, but
                  I think if we celebrate the fact that the Spirit is among us
                  & not get stuck on the timing, we will grow in the Spirit.

                  -----
                • shawn
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 13, 2000
                    Excellent point Steve. Good to know that its not just a societal change
                    recently.
                    Shawn