Re: [dre-talk] Blessing of Children

  • Cathy Qualls
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 20, 2013
      Hello,

      I am trying to understand the question. If you are taking non-Catholic children to Mass during the school year, I have a problem trooping them up to the altar when they are not able to receive Eucharist. It only highlights the separation that exists in our Christian communities. There is a blessing for all at the end of the Mass that is meant for all present.

      As a child I lived in California and was so impressed to watch the Mother of my Hispanic friends bless their children before going out to play. I was also in line to board a plane many years later when a young father repeatedly made the sign of the cross on his wife and small son who were boarding with me. Being blessed by anyone other than a Priest was not part of my culture and I am sorry that it was not. There is a blessing of the senses in the RCIA rite that could be used in the classroom. Teachers can invoke a blessing on all as the leave. Many possibilities - not sure this is what you asked. Peace, Cathy Qualls

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 20, 2013
        The Mass and Communion are intended to engender a sense of our unity. A separate blessing ritual would make more evident that "You are not one of us." You can include these children in the Communion procession, and have them fold their arms across their chest as a sign to the Eucharistic Minister that they would like to receive a blessing instead of receiving the host. In this way, those who aren't Catholic will feel more a part of the liturgy and receive a blessing.

        Kevin

      • Laurie Huff
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 20, 2013
          Thanks Cathy.  Yes, you addressed what I was seeking-blessing children during Communion.  Thanks so much for your input.

          Blessings,

          Laurie Huff,  Director of Religious Education
          Saint Martin of Tours Church
          3720 Saint Martin's Place
          Cincinnati,Ohio 45211
          513-661-2000