Post Marriage Programming

  • Tom Rinkoski
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2013
      Tuesday 18 June 2013

      Greetings from Gainesville

      Responding to Mark's query regarding post marriage possibilities for young couples.

      There are lots of great opportunities available for young couples.  Back in the 80's when family life ministries was blossoming folk across the country were implementing all sorts of wonderful program options for young couples.  Look back to see forward.  My wife and I developed a Great Dates program that was very successful for young and old couples in the Diocese of Green Bay Wisconsin in the early 2000's.  The program was great fun, simple to implement and low budget.  It was based on The Great Dates Program as written by Dave and Claudia Arp.  I would highly suggest this program as a support to young marriages.

      Tom Rinkoski
      Cell:  (352) 339-3707

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
        We also send Post-Baptism letters every six months until age two.  We are also planning a Baptism Brunch on the Feast of the Baptism of Christ for all Baptism families, and we offer the Little Angels Wednesday morning playgroup (with faith music and stories) for ages 0 - 4 plus a parent, nanny or granny (a huge success).

        Our Confirmation takes place in early Lent, so we have the thirty or so Confirmandi come back to rehearse and present two performances of Living Stations which makes an excellent reflection on following Christ.  Then they start coming to Youth Group.

        For married people, there is nothing immediately after the wedding, but our Diocese offers Marriage Encounter and our parish has small groups that meet regularly for those who have completed Marriage encounter, plus occasional classes for couples like the Five Love Languages.

        RCIA meets for several weeks after the Easter Vigil to break open the Mysteries, explore ministry opportunities, and discern what they might be called to do.

        No follow up on First Eucharist unless you count grades 3 - 8 and VBS as follow-up.

        No formal follow-up on Reconciliation or Sacrament of the Sick.

        Mary Reichel

        ________________________________
[...]

        _________________________
        Fr. David Loftus
        Administrator
        mailto:dloftus%40ollnr.org
        (818) 349-1500
        http://ollnr.blogspot.com/

        Abundant Blessings,

        Michele
        510 305-4143

      • kevcody2
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
          Michelle & Fr. David,

          For 1st Communion, 1st Reconciliation, and Confirmation, the first session following the celebration of the sacrament is a mystagogical breaking open of the participants' experience of the sacrament.
          Following Confirmation, we have guest speakers from various parish ministries (including the pastor), and a 7th Gr./8th Gr. retreat. One of the sessions will take place at the Youth Ministry building where the youth minister will host a dinner and presentation.

          We just started using the OSV Parent Letters to stay connected with families following the baptism of their children until the children are old enough for our religious education programs, to instill in parents the fact that they are the primary catechist of their children, and to give them ideas for implementing family faith traditions in their homes early on.

          God bless you in your efforts!

          Kevin Cody, DRE
          St. Alphonsus Parish
          Lemont, IL 60439