RCIC

  • kevcody2
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2013
      Diane,

      Our adaption of the RCIA rite includes their participation in the liturgical rites & scrutinies.  We have weekly sessions where their parents join them once a month.  We also have seperate periodic formation sessions for the parents based on questions that surfaced for them in our initial session at the beginning of the year.  Our process is generally runs 2 years.  We have interviews to determine the readiness of the children to receive the sacraments, and how we will proceed with them.  In the second year, the children are enrolled in our regular RE program, plus they will continue to meet as a small group for about 6 sessions to prepare for the sacraments.  We join the RCIA for the Rite of Election at the Cathedral, sometimes for the scrutinies, at a Holy Thursday dinner and prayer service prior to the Mass, and at the Easter Vigil.

      I believe one of the most important steps in the process are the interviews at the outset with the parents, and with the children individually to find out where they are at... their motivations, their desires, their understanding of Jesus and the faith.  Because the groups are relatively small, we have the flexibility to tailor the process to meet the children's, the parent's, and the family's needs... Even the days that we meet.

      Good luck with your process!

      Kevin Cody, DRE

      St. Alphonsus Parish, Lemont, IL

      630-257-2371

    • Diana Solomon
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 8, 2013
        How long is your RCIC program? One or two years?

      • Genelle Curiel
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 8, 2013
          Two years.