Kings gifts

  • sandibelleque
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
      I'm working on a short prayer service around the magi and their three gifts. Does anyone have something to share that would connect teenagers and what they can offer that would coincide with gold, frankincense and myrrh?

      Sandi Belleque
      Sent from my iPhone
    • Susanne Bunn
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
        I remember a reflection by Father Mann, an Anglican priest. The gold, etc. were "tools" of the trade of astrologers. People would cross their palms with gold. Their tents or rooms would be full of incense. They would use the stars to foretell the future. They laid all these "tools" of their trade at the feet of Jesus. I wonder whether the gold could represent "earning a living". Could teens lay all their plans and fears at the feet of Jesus and ask, "Lord, what do you want me to do?" Frankincense is involved in worship. Teens have been walking in the faith handed on by their parents. Could they quietly let their hearts lift in worship to their God who loves them without condition and who pours grace on them at prayer and in Reconciliation, Eucharist, Confirmation? Bitter myrrh can certainly represent the hard things in life.Teen could name them to themselves, or aloud or write them down. Jesus carried every effect of sin onto the cross and overcame all evil at his resurrection. We can walk in hope, trust, confidence with him and joined in the journey with the whole Church community. These are just a few thoughts that might get other thoughts flowing. Sister Susanne Bunn, MHSH

        ________________________________
        I'm working on a short prayer service around the magi and their three gifts. Does anyone have something to share that would connect teenagers and what they can offer that would coincide with gold, frankincense and myrrh?

        Sandi Belleque
        Sent from my iPhone

      • Eileen Fewless
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2012
          Sister Susanne,
          Thank you for sharing the Kings gifts with us and the ideas for reflection...I am going to use this at my January teacher meeting!

          Eileen

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2012
            This is amazing. It is just what I wanted to have read aloud between the verses of the song. Fits perfectly. Thank you.

            Sandi Belleque
            Sent from my iPhone