Guadalupe

  • sandibelleque
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 12, 2012
      Does anyone have a simple play (narration) for Juan Diego and/or feast of Guadalupe?

      Sandi Belleque
      Sent from my iPhone
    • Susanne Bunn
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
        I wrote one years ago, pre-computer. I will try to find time to type it onto a reply. Teens presented it before Mass at Our Lady of the Angels in San Antonio. The readers were a boy and a girl. The actors did not speak. At all the rehearsals, the girl would read, "I am not your mother. I am not here." I was nervous the day of the play but she read it correctly, "Am I not your mother? Am I not here?" Sister Susanne Bunn, MHSH

        ________________________________
        Does anyone have a simple play (narration) for Juan Diego and/or feast of Guadalupe?

        Sandi Belleque
        Sent from my iPhone

      • Cathy Qualls
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
          Hi Sandi,

          I recent bought "A Circle of Saints" stories & activities for Children 4-8 by 23rd pub. There is enough information to create a simple play - pg. 12-13. Peace, Cathy Qualls

          Does anyone have a simple play (narration) for Juan Diego and/or feast of Guadalupe?

          Sandi Belleque
          Sent from my iPhone
        • Carrie Sallwasser
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
            Thanks. Any suggestions on how to get pastor and staff on board celebrating
            Guadalupe when we don't have a Hispanic community (not OUR celebration is
            what I was told)
            Carrie

            --
            *Carrie Sallwasser*
            Coordinator of Religious Education

            Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.
            St. Francis of Assisi

          • barbara shropshire
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
              The Holy Spirit is working. You are correct. Our Lady of Tepayac (Guadalupe) is Patroness of the Americas! She is mother to North , Central and South America. Her feast is for all of her people in the Americas no matter their race or ethnicity. If the staff and parishioners want confirmation , google usccb Guadalupe. Many documents , prayers. In English.

              Blessing God for your ministry and her intercession. We celebrated her Feast long before we formally had a Mass in Spanish due to a United States of America citizen who lived in Mexico for ten years and wanted our parish to know and love our patroness of the Americas.

              Barbara Shropshire
              St. Rita, Fort Worth , Texas.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Nov 13, 2012, at 9:11, "Carrie Sallwasser" <sallwasserc@...> wrote:

              > Thanks. Any suggestions on how to get pastor and staff on board celebrating
              > Guadalupe when we don't have a Hispanic community (not OUR celebration is
              > what I was told)
              > Carrie
              >
              > On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM, sandibelleque <sandibelleque@...>wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Does anyone have a simple play (narration) for Juan Diego and/or feast of
              >> Guadalupe?
              >>
              >> Sandi Belleque
              >> Sent from my iPhone
              >>

              > --
              > *Carrie Sallwasser*
              > Coordinator of Religious Education
              > Queen of All Saints
              > 314-846-8126,311
              >

              > Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.
              > St. Francis of Assisi

            • Susanne Bunn
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
                I am enjoying Father Robert Barron's program "Catholicism". He says that 3,000 people a day became Catholic for the ten years after Mary appeared in Mexico. I think that any pastor would want to turn loose this evangelizing power in his parish. Sister Susanne Bunn, MHSH

                ________________________________

                --
                *Carrie Sallwasser*
                Coordinator of Religious Education
                Queen of All Saints
                314-846-8126,311

                Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.
                St. Francis of Assisi

              • Tom Rinkoski
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
                  Tuesday 13 November 2012

                  Greetings from Gainesville!

                  Thinking about the Mary celebration thing.

                  I think it is important to discover positive ways to celebrate the role of Mary in our tradition.  The feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe provides us with a bright opportunity - full of tradition and ritual - to uncover more about who Mary is for us.  As far as I am concerned the celebration does not have to necessarily reflect Latin and South American traditions, but it certainly can incorporate some of their stories.  In addition, the fact that this feast day falls in Advent, adds to the breadth and wealth of that season's celebrations.
                  * have a storytelling evening about mothers and Mary.  Hire a local professional storyteller to tell different stories about mothers and Mary from different traditions.
                  * have a Marian show and tell!  You can do this via a Power Point program, or gather Marian statues and paintings from different parishioners for a special display in one of the rooms of the parish. These can be statues from all the different traditions about Mary.  This would show the wonderful diversity we have about this woman of God, how she inspires so many stories and reports.  If you do Power Point, you might include the many churches named after Mary.
                  * Have a Mary movie series.  There is a long list of different movies about Marian apparitions.  You can include some of the movies about Juan Diego's story as well.  Preview them, because some are really poorly done.  Maybe you can make it an evening of movie clips from many different movies.  Serve popcorn!
                  * Have a contest to think up modern titles for Mary.  You can use some of the titles from the Litany of the Blessed Virgin as starters for brainstorming.  This can begin as a classroom activity, publishing the results in the church bulletin.  Maybe someone can put them all together in a rap song.  Video it and place it on the parish web site.
                  * On the feast day, say that  you are going to give a special blessing to everyone who has Mary as a part of their name.  Do this just before the final blessing of the Mass.  Invite all the people up front and introduce them to the congregation.  Or, you can do this on the Sunday before the feast day.
                  * You know that game you do when you try to find as many words as you can from one phrase.  Challenge people to find as many words they can from the title - Our Lady of Guadalupe.  Good class room activity!
                  * Invite a local Spanish speaking community to come to your church and host a celebration.  Have a potluck.  Ask about recipes.  Ask about games for the children to play.  Let them teach you what they know about Our Lady of Guadalupe  and the customs they have around that feast and Advent and Christmas.

                  Anyway, this is a few quick ideas for people to begin their investigation into the person Mary.

                  Tom Rinkoski
                  Cell:  (352) 339-3707

                  ________________________________

                  --
                  *Carrie Sallwasser*
                  Coordinator of Religious Education
                  Queen of All Saints
                  314-846-8126,311

                  Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.
                  St. Francis of Assisi

                • Lillian Cruces
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
                    Those are great ideas Tom!  Thanks for sharing!  I love the power point idea.  I also remember seeing from an old Catechist magaizine with an echo story that students can perform.  The animated video of Juan Diego from CCC is pretty good too.

                    Lillian Cruces
                    NPCD West Representative
                    Director of Religious Education
                    St. Mary of the Assumption Church
                    Whittier, CA

                    "Love God, serve God: everything is in that." -- St. Clare of Assisi

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
                      Thank you.

                      Sandi Belleque
                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Nov 13, 2012, at 6:05 AM, Cathy Qualls <caqualls@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Sandi,
                      >
                      > I recent bought "A Circle of Saints" stories & activities for Children 4-8 by 23rd pub. There is enough information to create a simple play - pg. 12-13. Peace, Cathy Qualls

                    • Maryjo Wilt
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
                        Wow Tom, I am blown away.  Excellent ideas, all

                        Mary Jo Wilt

                      • Susanne Bunn
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 14, 2012
                          Our Lady of Guadalupe
                          Narrator 1 � a boy
                          Narrator 2 � a girl

                          One: It is the year 1531. It is the month of December. Early in the morning, Juan Diego is on his way over the hills to Mass. When Juan Diego comes near the top of the hill called Tepeyac, it is almost dawn. He hears beautiful music, more beautiful than many song birds singing. Juan Diego wonders, �Am I dreaming? Can this be real?� Juan hears someone calling,

                          Two: �Juan, Juan.�

                          One: Juan climbs to the top of this hill, and there he sees a beautiful lady. Her garments are shining like the sun. The hillside and the cactus are shining golden in her light. She speaks to Juan very gently and tenderly and lovingly,

                          Two: �Listen, my little son, Juan, where are you going?�

                          One: �My holy one, my lady, I am on my way to your house at Mexico. I want to learn of the holy things which our priests teach us.�

                          Two: �You must know and be very sure in your heart, my son, that I am the Virgin, the holy Mother of God. I desire that they build me a church here, so that in it I may give all my love, my mercy, my help and my protecation. I am in truth your merciful mother. Go now to the Bishop of Mexico and tell him how much I desire to have a church build here. Tell him all you have seen and all you have heard. My dear son, go and do everything carefully and quickly.�

                          One: �My holy one, my Lady, I will go now and do all you ask.�
                          Juan Diego goes right away to Mexico City to see the Franciscan Father, Bishop Zumaraga. When the servants finally let him in to see the bishop, Juan Dego kneels and bows down. Juan Diego tells the bishop all the works of Our Lady and everything he saw and heard. The bishop says, �My son, come again another time when we can talk again. I will look into this.� Juan Diego leaves in sorrow because he cannot convince the bishop. Juan Diego goes to the hill where he saw Our Lady. Mary comes. Juan Diego tells her all that has happened. �The bishop did not listen. I pray, send some famous man to the bishop. I am only a poor man. I am not worthy.�

                          Two �Hear me, my son, it is true that I can send many famous men, but it is you I want to speak for me in this matter, tired though you are. Go again tomorrow to see the bishop.�

                          One: �I will go with all my heart. Tomorrow, in the afternoon, I will return to give you the answer from the bishop.� And with that, Juan Diego went home (Pause.)
                          The next morning is Sunday. (Pause.) Juan goes over the hills to Mass. (Pause.) After Mass, Juan Diego waits a long time to see the bishop. He falls to his knees and begs the bishop to listen to him. He weeps. The Blessed Virgin Mary wants a church to be built. The bishop says, �I cannot be certain. It is necessary to have some SIGN by which we may believe that the Blessed Virgin Mary sends you.� Juan Diego says, �Wait you whatever sign you want. I will go at once and ask the Queen of Heaven for this sign.� With that, he leaves.

                          When Juan Diego gets home, he finds his old Uncle, Juan Bernardino, very sick. (Pause.) Monday morning, Juan Diego stays home and cares for his uncle. Tuesday morning, his uncle is weaker. The uncle says, �Go and get a priest, my nephew. I am going to die.�

                          Juan Diego starts over the hills by a different route. He does not want Our Lady to know. As he hurries around Tepeyac, Mary comes down the hill.

                          Two: �My little son, where are you going?�

                          One: �I am going to get the priest so that my uncle can go to confession before he dies.�

                          Two: �Listen, my dear son, I will protect you. Do not be frightened or sad. Do not let your heart be sad. Am I not your mother? Am I not here? Am I not of your own kind? Do not worry about your uncle�s illness. He is already well. Is there anything else you need?�

                          One: �Yes, my lady, I need a SIGN to take to the bishop.�

                          Two: Climb to the top of the hill, my little son. Go where you have seen me stand. You will find many flowers. Pick them. Bring them here to me.�

                          One: Juan Diego picks the flowers. (Pause.) He puts them in his tilma. He comes down to Mary. She picks up the flowers and arranges them in his tilma.

                          Two: �My little son, these flowers are the sign that you must take to the bishop. Open your tilma only in the presence of the bishop. Tell him what you have seen, and he will build a church for me.�

                          One: Juan Diego leaves. He hurries across the hills to Mexico City. (Paulse.) He waits a long time to see the bishop. Finally, he comes in, kneels and explains: �I have done what you asked. I told my holy one, the Virgin Mary, Mother of God, that you asked for some sign. She sent me to the hilltop to pick these flowers that bloomed where only cactus and mesquite can grow. When I carried them to her, she arranged them with her own hands. They are the sign. Here they are�� Juan openshis tilma and lets the flowers fall. On the tilma is the beautiful picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Mary�s picture and her constant love are ours today.
                          Sister Susanne Bunn, MHSH

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 14, 2012
                            These are great. Thx everyone!

                            Sandi Belleque