I need 3 great suggestions for summer

  • dpdre@mediaone.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
      I need 3 great suggestions for 3 stand-alone summer evenings of
      interactive family involvement at my parish. I am replacing a summer
      drop-off VBS-style program that has run its course (19 years). I do
      not want to have nothing. I am competing for time with a sports-crazed
      baseball or softball on all age levels community.
    • kroro43@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
        How about one evening of a sports retreat? I've been playing with this idea for a while. It would focus on using the talents God gave us to do well in sports or in being an enthusiastic member of any team. Offering up our work to God's glory. The kids love hearing about the various patron saints of the sports world. My 7th graders were thrilled last week when I showed them a St Christopher medal with a lacrosse player on it, now they are all going to get one!
        Bonnie
      • Sister Susanne
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
          A living rosary and an ice-cream social make a nice summer evening. Sr.
          Susanne Bunn, MHSH

          dpdre@... wrote:

          > I need 3 great suggestions for 3 stand-alone summer evenings of
          > interactive family involvement at my parish. I am replacing a summer
          > drop-off VBS-style program that has run its course (19 years). I do
          > not want to have nothing. I am competing for time with a sports-crazed
          > baseball or softball on all age levels community.

        • Leisa M Anslinger
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
            Two of the favorite formats for family formation at our parish are
            "festival" style occasions, where we set up stations with a variety of
            activites relating to a topic, and "walk-through's" of various
            sacraments.

            The festival style evenings are rather time intensive in set-up, since
            each activity has its own prep, but they are also wonderful ways to get
            parents and interested teens involved. We have done a festival night in
            which families "experienced" a liturgical year in one night, with
            stations in which parents and children could make a mini-advent wreath,
            make a rosary, create a Lenten calendar of prayers, reminders to fast,
            and activity suggestions for works of mercy, Easter blessings of food to
            color and decorate, etc.

            Another festival evening that worked really well was built around the
            theme of the millennium, with stations in which people were led in song,
            children told their favorite stories of rememberances of times at the
            parish, jubilee themes of justice and forgiveness were explored in skits
            and activities, and families worked together on materials that could be
            included in a time capsule (we didn't really do one, but rather created a
            big box that held the families hopes and dreams for the coming
            millennium). That evening also included an activity from Family Works
            called "tell-a-vision" that the older children particularly enjoyed.

            The walk-through's are just the opposite in terms of time-intensity; all
            you need are two people capable of working with big groups who also
            understand both the theology and the reasons behind what we do at
            sacramental celebrations. Our first walk-through last year was a
            walk-through of the Eucharist, and our pastor led the evening for
            everyone from second grade and up, and our associate pastor took the wee
            ones, from age three through grade one. Everyone enjoyed the explanation
            of the parts of the Mass and the symbols and objects used. Each priest
            had vestments and sacramentary and lectionary, etc., but the best part of
            the evening was the chance for questions from children and adults. Once
            the first child got brave and asked a question, no one seemed to be able
            to stop, and our crowd of three hundred children and adults seemed ready
            to stay for a long time!

            The next walk-through was on the sacraments of healing, and I led the
            second grade through adult session. Our crowd had grown to about four
            hundred in this group, and again, I finally had to stop taking questions
            and told those who had more to ask to come see me individually. We will
            do another walk-through during the Easter season with the sacraments of
            initiation, taking advantage of the prominence of the font, candle, oils,
            and the sprinkling rite each weekend to remind everyone of the season.

            Hope this gives you some ideas! If you have questions, of course, email!
            Leisa
            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • GenelleCuriel@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
              Try Family Faith Builders. They are in Neenah, Wisconsin. They have an
              Elementary Fun Nights program. 5 different fun nights for children in grades
              1-5. Their brochure indicates this can be catechist and child centered,
              family or intergenerational. Cost $39.95 for 70 pages (can be reproduced)
              and includes a music CD. They can be reached on the web at
              www.FamilyFaithBuilders.com

              good luck....Genelle
            • The Geene Family
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
                Why not have a family media awareness interactive session. Helping families
                to learn how to choose movies wisely, then you could screen a video or film
                and have popcorn and drinks. You could even get an old projector and have
                an outdoor movie if the weather is nice ( our library does this in the
                summer and my kids love it, we bring our blankets and watch the movie.)

                There is really no reason to link up the three nights unless you want to,

                You could even have a Family Olympics with different games some serious and
                some goofy, and have awards and stuff.

                Maggie
              • JULIE DEKREON
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
                  Dear dpdre! (you didn't sign!)
                  do the sports!!! Family sports night with various stations. I can see the
                  saints working well here. St. Sebastian is the patron of athletes. I'm
                  thinking and writing but you've given me a great thought for summer. In
                  Alaska we have endless days so we could have quite a bit of fun with this.
                  church search!!! What are the parts and history of your building? Where did
                  the font come from? Did someone donate the stations? etc. etc. You may mine
                  wonderful and tender stories that are the treasures of your community and
                  lead people to understand a little of the current understanding of church
                  design and liturgy (cf.Living Stones NCCB)
                  social justice!!! Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter are lush times for the
                  marginal. The rest of the year they are nearly forgotten. The half year
                  "Christmas" is the June 25th, the birth of John the Baptist. Haul out all
                  the bells and whistles and give the needy a midyear Christmas. A necessary
                  thing to do is start fund raising or collecting to buy school supplies. We
                  distribute to families at the local food pantry. Scissors, glue, crayons,
                  etc. add up for struggling families. Children in classrooms without these
                  humble but necessary items are embarrassed and ashamed.
                  Hope this helps and thanks for throwing out the thought.
                  Julie

                • lprice46@nts-online.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2001
                    --- In dre-talk@y..., dpdre@m... wrote:
                    > I need 3 great suggestions for 3 stand-alone summer evenings of
                    > interactive family involvement at my parish. I am replacing a
                    summer
                    > drop-off VBS-style program that has run its course (19 years). I do
                    > not want to have nothing. I am competing for time with a sports-
                    crazed
                    > baseball or softball on all age levels community.

                    >For the past five years I have had a Summer Family Week using the
                    Gospel Light material. It is wonderful and this year there is a
                    Catholic supplement for Us Catholics!!! Call Jennifer at Liguori
                    for more info or email me. I too dislike the drop off idea. Ours is
                    at night with dinner and then 2 hours of skits and Bible study. Check
                    it out and get the whole parish involved! I have about 100 involved
                    and or going as a family.
                  • Shawn Kispert
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 13, 2001
                      Instead of competing with them, why not work with them? Get the schedule of
                      the ball games, set up a few grills, grab a few parents and go to the ball
                      fields one evening. Have a family BBQ during the games and some board
                      games, balloons, etc for the smaller kids( grab a few teen sitters and PAY
                      THEM) while the parents watch the ball games.

                      Advertise ahead of time...YOU DON'T HAVE TO COOK>>>YOU DON'T HAVE TO
                      PAY>>>YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO A DARN THING ..but come say hi and fellowship
                      during Sundays games....ex..

                      Good luck
                      Shawn