RE: [dre-talk] Reading the lesson

  • Susanne Bunn
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2011
      A gentle change would be "directed reading". Show the catechist this technique by preparing simple questions based on the material in a paragraph. Have the class read the paragraph silently to find the answers to each question. Students who have difficulty reading can grasp the material by following the give and take and can participate when they know the answers by logic rather than reading. It is important to accept correct answers even if the wording of the answer is different than the written material. Sister Susanne Bunn, MHSH

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2011
        I know it is mid year, but how about considering a switch to a program that is a bit different than the classrom model text? We use Pflaum and while it is not perfect it does make class a bit more interesting to the kids than the text-style book we used before.

      • sradrienneb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2011
          You might suggest to her: READ WITH A PURPOSE

          Ask specific questions which causes the students to read a particular
          section to obtain some information.

          For example:We use sadlier program

          In the We Believe section is Solomon's reign was a time of peace and
          prosperity

          Give an introduction such as:

          in the first book of kings and the 2nd book of Cronicles, we learn
          that after the death of King David.

          Read the first paragraph and underline or write down who succeeded King
          David
          and what was achieved during his reign?

          Answer would be: Solomon succeeded King David as king and under his rule
          Israel achieved its greatest peace
          and prosperity.

          Based on the ability of the class you may need to do one question at a time

          Hope this helps

          Adrienne Bradley, SSJ
          Director of Faith Formation
          Teaneck, NJ

        • sandibelleque
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2011
            Great ideas. I also noticed they are three chapters behind where I had expected so we have a lot if planning to do this Christmas vacation.

            Sandi
            Sent from my iPhone

            On Dec 1, 2011, at 9:15 AM, sradrienneb@... wrote:

            > You might suggest to her: READ WITH A PURPOSE
            >
            > Ask specific questions which causes the students to read a particular
            > section to obtain some information.
            >
            > For example:We use sadlier program
            >
            > In the We Believe section is Solomon's reign was a time of peace and
            > prosperity
            >
            > Give an introduction such as:
            >
            > in the first book of kings and the 2nd book of Cronicles, we learn
            > that after the death of King David.
            >
            > Read the first paragraph and underline or write down who succeeded King
            > David
            > and what was achieved during his reign?
            >
            > Answer would be: Solomon succeeded King David as king and under his rule
            > Israel achieved its greatest peace
            > and prosperity.
            >
            > Based on the ability of the class you may need to do one question at a time
            >
            > Hope this helps
            >
            > Adrienne Bradley, SSJ
            > Director of Faith Formation
            > Teaneck, NJ

          • kevcody2
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2011
              I agree with the 2 previous respondants that reading from the text can be part of the lesson plan, and that it can be more productive and interesting when it is accompanied by directed questions. The catechist can even break the class into groups and assign sections of the chapter to each group and giving them the responsibility to present their answers to assigned questions to the class. This age group likes discussions, and this exercise gives them more responsibility for their learning.

              Kevin

              --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, sandibelleque <sandibelleque@...> wrote:

              > I need help with a catechist. I have asked that they not have the students read the entire chapter paragraph by paragraph out loud each week in the 6th grade. Prophets and the Old Testament can be dry if you do. The catechist continues to teach this way. How can I convince her to try something different.
              >
              > Sandi B
              > NPCD NW Rep
              > Sent from my iPhone

            • Barbara Nichols
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 1, 2011
                Do you have another catechist who could come in and model how the lesson
                can be animated rather than read? Or is there another catechist who you
                could team her with and every other week they could take turns presenting -
                having the other catechist demonstrate what is an alternative teaching
                method? Usually it takes a while for a habit to change - she may only be
                comfortable with them reading the lesson. Also, emphasize children learn
                not only by reading but by having a hands on activity. In the end you may
                need to realize she will never change.

                Barbara Nichols - retired DRE

                On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM, sandibelleque <sandibelleque@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I need help with a catechist. I have asked that they not have the students
                > read the entire chapter paragraph by paragraph out loud each week in the
                > 6th grade. Prophets and the Old Testament can be dry if you do. The
                > catechist continues to teach this way. How can I convince her to try
                > something different.
                >
                > Sandi B
                > NPCD NW Rep
                > Sent from my iPhone

              • Monica
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 1, 2011
                  Each year, as part of my first meeting with catechists before the year starts, I "teach" a lesson to them from one of their teacher manuals. I show them a variety of ways to cover the material without the typical reading and writing school model. I've turned the lesson into games, used the Jeopardy game, let them quiz each other, used crafts and hands on activities, and a variety of other models. It seems to help.
                  I do have one teacher who still has a problem simply because she is a retired teacher. She has even come around, especially when I use her grade (sixth grade) as the example. Hope things work out for you!
                  Monica

                  --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, sandibelleque <sandibelleque@...> wrote:

                  > I need help with a catechist. I have asked that they not have the students read the entire chapter paragraph by paragraph out loud each week in the 6th grade. Prophets and the Old Testament can be dry if you do. The catechist continues to teach this way. How can I convince her to try something different.
                  >
                  > Sandi B
                  > NPCD NW Rep
                  > Sent from my iPhone

                • sandibelleque
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 1, 2011
                    There is a team catechist and I was under the impression that they would share teaching responsibilities. I have just found out that she isn't. I have offered breakout ideas, offered to help come up with activities, asked that they change things up-to no avail. We will be talking next week to see what's up. Thanks for all the good ideas.

                    Sandi
                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Dec 1, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Barbara Nichols <nichols.barb@...> wrote:

                    > Do you have another catechist who could come in and model how the lesson
                    > can be animated rather than read? Or is there another catechist who you
                    > could team her with and every other week they could take turns presenting -
                    > having the other catechist demonstrate what is an alternative teaching
                    > method? Usually it takes a while for a habit to change - she may only be
                    > comfortable with them reading the lesson. Also, emphasize children learn
                    > not only by reading but by having a hands on activity. In the end you may
                    > need to realize she will never change.
                    >
                    > Barbara Nichols - retired DRE
                    >
                    > On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM, sandibelleque <sandibelleque@...>wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > I need help with a catechist. I have asked that they not have the students
                    > > read the entire chapter paragraph by paragraph out loud each week in the
                    > > 6th grade. Prophets and the Old Testament can be dry if you do. The
                    > > catechist continues to teach this way. How can I convince her to try
                    > > something different.
                    > >
                    > > Sandi B
                    > > NPCD NW Rep
                    > > Sent from my iPhone

                  • William O'Leary
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 4, 2011
                      I've learned that reading out of the book is not always the most
                      fruitful way to go. Reading small portions can work but I would do that
                      sparingly. A few suggestions is to try to share the content by telling
                      a story of what God did or how God used ________ to do good or bring
                      about peace, etc... Also, I would try to do more sharing of what
                      happened than I would reading and then explaining, reading more and then
                      explaining. That's my two cents.

                      God bless,

                      William O'Leary

                      Director of Religious Formation

                      Church of the Ascension

                      9510 W. 127th St.

                      Overland Park, KS 66213

                      913-681-7683

                      http://catechesisinthethirdmillennium.wordpress.com
                      <http://catechesisinthethirdmillennium.wordpress.com/>

                      Our wish, our object, our chief preoccupation must be to form Jesus in
                      ourselves, to make his spirit, his devotion, his affections, his
                      desires, and his disposition live and reign there. All our religious
                      exercises should be directed to this end. It is the work which God has
                      given us to do unceasingly. -- St. John Eudes

                    • Carrie Sallwasser
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 5, 2011
                        Advent blessings to all.

                        I need to beg a favor. I am writing an article for the Feb/March issue of
                        Momentum (the NCEA journal) on the essential characteristics of adult faith
                        formation programs. I certainly have my opinions, but I'd like to hear what
                        you would offer as essential characteristics.

                        All members of NPCD will receive this journal ( NPCD members are also
                        members of NCEA, our parent organization). If you are not a member, I
                        strongly suggest that you check us out. Our website is www.npcd.org
                        <http://www.npcd.org/> . Momentum is just one way we provide information and
                        resources to our members. NPCD also sponsors DRE Talk- which we all find so
                        beneficial.

                        Thanks for your response!

                        Carrie Sallwasser

                        Heartland Representative - NPCD

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011
                          Carrie,

                          As Tom Groome points out in Will There Be Faith? (p. 6) all catechesis
                          needs to be wholistic, engaging "people's heads, hearts and hands." (In
                          traditional educational lingo we call these the cognitive, affective and
                          behavioral domains. A related expression is information, formation and
                          transformation.) This certainly applies to adult faith formation.

                          From personal experience I would say that quality adult faith formation
                          needs:

                          a hospitable and comfortable environment, usually including some sort of
                          refreshments, however simple;

                          a well developed prayer component (as opposed to perfunctory prayer)
                          that invites us to reflection and intimacy with God;

                          a connection with scripture, even if scripture is not the main topic;

                          an effort to draw out the questions and experiences that the
                          participants bring to the adult faith formation experience;

                          carefully planned invitations to discussion, interaction and faith
                          sharing because this is how adults learn from one another and assimilate
                          learning;

                          an awareness of the need to balance the allocation of time for
                          reflection and discussion as well as lecture style presentations;

                          application to the daily lives and concerns of participants.

                          I realize that I failed to include above fidelity to the teaching of the
                          Church, because I just assumed that.

                          The 1999 USCCB statement Our Hearts Were Burning Within Us remains the
                          pre-eminent guide in this area, especially Part III, "Goals, Principles,
                          Content and Approaches" ยง64-112.

                          Gene Tozzi

                          Associate Director, Adult Catechesis

                          Archdiocese of Newark

                          --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Carrie Sallwasser" <sallwasserc@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Advent blessings to all.
                          >

                          > I need to beg a favor. I am writing an article for the Feb/March issue
                          of
                          > Momentum (the NCEA journal) on the essential characteristics of adult
                          faith
                          > formation programs. I certainly have my opinions, but I'd like to hear
                          what
                          > you would offer as essential characteristics.
                          >

                          > All members of NPCD will receive this journal ( NPCD members are also
                          > members of NCEA, our parent organization). If you are not a member, I
                          > strongly suggest that you check us out. Our website is www.npcd.org
                          > <http://www.npcd.org/> . Momentum is just one way we provide
                          information and
                          > resources to our members. NPCD also sponsors DRE Talk- which we all
                          find so
                          > beneficial.
                          >

                          > Thanks for your response!
                          >

                          > Carrie Sallwasser
                          >
                          > Heartland Representative - NPCD
                          >
                          > _____

                          Behalf

                        • sallwasserc@qasstl.org
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011
                            Thanks! You certainly garbbed everything out of Groome's book that I was going to bring up. Have a blessed remainder of Advent and a very Holy Christmas.
                            Carrie
                            As Tom Groome points out in Will There Be Faith? (p. 6) all catechesis
                            needs to be wholistic, engaging "people's heads, hearts and hands." (In
                            traditional educational lingo we call these the cognitive, affective and
                            behavioral domains. A related expression is information, formation and
                            transformation.) This certainly applies to adult faith formation.

                            From personal experience I would say that quality adult faith formation
[...]

                            Content and Approaches" ?64-112.

                            wrote:

                            > Advent blessings to all.
                            >

                            > I need to beg a favor. I am writing an article for the Feb/March issue
                            of
                            > Momentum (the NCEA journal) on the essential characteristics of adult
                            faith
                            > formation programs. I certainly have my opinions, but I'd like to hear
                            what
                            > you would offer as essential characteristics.
                            >

                            > All members of NPCD will receive this journal ( NPCD members are also
                            > members of NCEA, our parent organization). If you are not a member, I
                            > strongly suggest that you check us out. Our website is www.npcd.org
                            > <http://www.npcd.org/> . Momentum is just one way we provide
                            information and
                            > resources to our members. NPCD also sponsors DRE Talk- which we all
                            find so
                            > beneficial.
                            >

                            > Thanks for your response!
                            >

                            > Carrie Sallwasser
                            >
                            > Heartland Representative - NPCD
                            >
                            > _____

                          • Joan Doyle
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011
                              Dear Carrie,

                              In addition to the very fine things said by Gene from the Archdiocese of Newark, I would like to add a sort of over-arching "philosophy" (for lack of a better word). Not only are Adult Faith Formation (AFF) programs important, but so is a commitment on the part of a parish to a pervasive climate of AFF therein.

                              In my experience, quite a few people in parish leadership (either staff or volunteer) immediately jump to the idea of inaugurating programs (faith-sharing, Scripture study, parent sacramental prep, prayer groups, etc.) when they think of AFF. Many are almost immediately frightened by the prospect of having to put on more programs than what they already have and are daunted by the prospect of trying to finance them.

                              I try to suggest to them that they see the bigger picture first and look at what they already have going on in their parish: everything that advances the formation of the faith of adults is AFF. That means things like a well crafted homily, an informative and nicely laid out Sunday bulletin, a welcoming, attractive and easy to navigate parish web site, etc.). Programs are part of it, but not the whole of it. Some places with which I am familiar have started slowly to adopt this total parish immersion into AFF by adding to every meeting on campus (i.e., finance council, parish council, school board, men's group, etc.) a brief time (10-15 minutes) of reading the Sunday Gospel and sharing and praying with it. This is almost cost-free. However, it only works well when the pastor (or the PLD) and the entire parish staff "own" the idea and commit to making it work -- and, in fact, help it to take root. When they don't, it dies a quick death -- or, worse, becomes an ordeal.

                              When it comes to existing parish programs for young people in relationship to AFF, my personal feeling is that if a pastor/PLD and the rest of the pastoral leadership team would make a commitment to having AFF at the heart of what they do, they would then see the programs for children and youth as revolving around this hub (see various catechetical documents). In his regard, I have heard some catechetical leaders use the analogy of the instructions for the use of oxygen masks on a plane to make this point -- parents are instructed to put the oxygen mask on their own faces first and then tend to their children's masks. A population of parents better formed in their own faith can't help but enhance the faith formation of their children. Further, one doesn't have to dump or diminish the parish school or youth ministry program in favor of instituting more programs for adults. It's not either/or; it's both/and.

                              In my opinion, a commitment to AFF is a mind-set and a setting of priorities more than it is establishing more programs.

                              Joan Doyle
                              Los Angeles

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011
                                Joan,
                                Well said. Thank you. Have a blessed remainder of Advent and a Holy Christmas.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011
                                  You are welcome, Carrie. I hope you, too, will have a blessed holiday season.

                                • scsbaglynn@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                                    Dear Friends,

                                    Please allow me to thank Joan Doyle for her cogent thoughts on Adult Faith Formation. Her remarks are some of the very best I have heard or read in a long time.
                                    For far too long, and for too many catechetical leaders, the emphasis in Faith Formation has been on children. However, the Church's Catechetical Documents have
                                    consistently expressed the adult model as the norm for catechesis. Joan's many examples of how to create an atmosphere of AFF in the parish are "spot on". And let's
                                    continue to use DRE Talk as a medium for communication and sharing in this ministry of catechesis. Also, let's remember that DRE Talk is a initiative of NPCD, the
                                    National Association of Parish Catechetical Directors, a professional organization dedicated to "excellence in catechesis". If you are not a member, please give
                                    consideration to joining. If you want further information, please don't hesitate to contact me ; I'll be glad to point you in the direction of your Regional Rep. for NPCD.
                                    Abundant Advent blessings to all !!

                                    Barbara A. Glynn
                                    Associate Executive Director
                                    Department of Religious Education
                                    NCEA
                                    1005 N. Glebe Road Suite 525
                                    Arlington, VA 22201
                                    571-451-2877 office
                                    203-278-3411 cell

                                    scsbaglynn@...

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                                      Thank you, Barbara, for your very kind words.

                                      I hope you and your staff and loved ones will have a blessed holiday season.

                                      Sincerely,

                                      Joan