Re: [dre-talk] First Eucharist Masses

  • Lorraine C
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2011
      Hi Monica...

      We have approx 200 children for first Eucharist every year.  A few yrs ago, we tried Sunday liturgy but because of the numbers and not wanting first Eucharist to continue for weeks we went back to Saturdays.

      For many years, long before I became director, the children sat together up front, parents sat in the family pew, but did accompany their child up for Communion.  Aside from the logistics being a nightmare, now we have the children process in with their 2 adults and sit with their 2 special adults (not everyone has 2 parents) and the rest of the guests that can fitsit  in their family pew. In the entrance procession we have the child walk in the middle of the 2 adults holding their hands. They look so cute & the parents love it!

      We made these changes for the following reasons:
      Once you separate the children from their parents, the parents become spectators and are not engaged and actively participating in the worship.

      We have the parents walk in with them to highlight their role as the primary religious educators of their children, but more importantly, Eucharist is their child's 2nd sacrament of initiation.  For Baptism, they carried the child into church, so now for Eucharist, since they are too big to carry them in (wink), now they escort them into church!  The parents absolutely love having an important role to play on this important day in their child's life & being part of the action!

      Also, we have catechists, not the children doing readings, Prayer of the Faithful, not the children. It is our role as fully initiated Catholics to minister to them, not the other way around. They are the guests of honor. It's like having a special dinner for someone but having them do the cooking & serving, hardly an honor for anyone. lol The children do nothing except just BE and receive Jesus for the first time. It takes so much pressure off them & the parents don't leave feeling like they just watched a school play.

      Lorraine Cortina
      Sts. Philip & James Parish
      St. James, NY

      From: monica.ebelhack <stalsfaithformation@...>
      Subject: [dre-talk] First Eucharist Masses
      To: dre-talk@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, September 30, 2011, 4:14 PM

      Because we have such a large parish and so many children making their First Eucharist, we celebrate at separate Masses rather than our regular Sunday liturgies. In the past, children have sat with their parents, but we are thinking of changing this to having the children sit together. Any thoughts?

    • Dever
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2011
        Well said Lorraine.
        For many years we had separate Masses for 1st Communion but changed it to the weekend Masses because all celebrations of the sacraments are community events. Fr. gets so many comments from parishioners and how much they look forward to the celebration of 1st Communion. Parishioners have been a part of these children's lives through the weekly Eucharist since they were babies. This is their 1st Communion, not the 1st Eucharist they have attended (hopefully) The children and their family sit together and go to Communion together as well.
        Parishioners also are invited to attend the reception following Mass as well. Parents, and children love the attention they receive from their faith community. I admit it is tiring as a DRE.

        Blessings!
        Martha

        From: monica.ebelhack <stalsfaithformation@...>
        To: dre-talk@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, September 30, 2011, 4:14 PM

        Because we have such a large parish and so many children making their First Eucharist, we celebrate at separate Masses rather than our regular Sunday liturgies. In the past, children have sat with their parents, but we are thinking of changing this to having the children sit together. Any thoughts?

      • Maryjo Wilt
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2011
          Oh, Lorraine.
          I really like the way you do that and your rationale. You go girl!

          Mary Jo

          >________________________________

        • Carrie Sallwasser
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
            Lorraine,

            I love it. I have been nudging my pastor to move away from separation of
            children and parents, but to no avail. :-(

            Carrie Sallwasser

            _____

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
              Thank you to everyone for your kind words about how we celebrate our first communions!

              I wish I could take credit for all of it, but our decisions were based upon some very sound theological & liturgical guidelines & procedures for the celebration of first communion Masses given to us from the "powers that be".  Hope that helps with those who are trying to convince their pastor! ;)

              Blessings always!
              Lorraine

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
                One thing you could do is refer to the General Instruction of the Roman Missal.
                Under Chapter 3 part 2 it states we are to shun any appearance of individualism
                or division. I cannot find where there is any provision for an
                entrance procession with anyone other than the priests and ministers of the
                liturgy so we do not process in with First Communicants or even Confirmandi. If
                anyone knows of any instruction on this please let me know.
                We too keep families together. Separating them seems to be in direct conflict
                with the GIRM. We've been trying to form the families for not just first
                communion but for their 2000 communion as well. It is a challenging job for sure
                as for many years so much emphasis has been placed on the "First."
                ________________________________

                I really like the way you do that and your rationale. You go girl!

                Mary Jo

                >________________________________

              • Kristen
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 17, 2011
                  We have 130 children preparing for First Communion. The children from our Catholic School and our RE program are all required to participate in a year long parish formation program. We use "Growing Up Catholic" which calls on the parents to be the catechist with a coach helping. This has been challenging because a lot of the Catholic school parents think that the schools should prepare their children for Sacraments. For the actual First Communions, we have 3 regular weekend Masses and the first Communions happen during one weekend. The families are mixed together and divided into masses by lottery. Each family gets a pew with the child sitting on the end. The parents bring their child up for Communion. We are striving so that everything we do reinforces the truth that the parents are the first teachers of their children.
                  We also have eliminated having the children do readings during the Mass. It became a tremendous source of competition and pressure for the kids. A family is selected to bring up the gifts from each Mass.
                  My life was a virtual nightmare before we simplified the liturgy in this way. Parents would get so bent out of shape that their child wasn't a lector that they would get completely distracted from the EUcharist itself.

                  --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, Mary Garlow <mpgarlow@...> wrote:

                  > One thing you could do is refer to the General Instruction of the Roman Missal.
                  > Under Chapter 3 part 2 it states we are to shun any appearance of individualism
                  > or division. I cannot find where there is any provision for an
                  > entrance procession with anyone other than the priests and ministers of the
                  > liturgy so we do not process in with First Communicants or even Confirmandi. If
                  > anyone knows of any instruction on this please let me know.
                  > We too keep families together. Separating them seems to be in direct conflict
                  > with the GIRM. We've been trying to form the families for not just first
                  > communion but for their 2000 communion as well. It is a challenging job for sure
                  > as for many years so much emphasis has been placed on the "First."
                  > ________________________________

                • Lillian Cruces
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 17, 2011
                    I agree Kristen, life is so much easier to make First Holy communions part of the parish liturgies! I love how I get the comments from parishioners saying "I look forward to seeing the children make their first holy communion at our mass".  It's a little more work on our part as directors and coordinators, but so worth it!
                       Maybe some of you remember when I posted on dretalk about 8 or 9 years ago.  Families were not too happy to go along with fhc with our parish liturgies.  Taking pictures was a nightmare, and I was very frustrated.  I received so many great ideas and comments from dretalk.  What a blessing that was for me as a new DRE!  Now we usually have at least ten fhc with the parish liturgies and most everyone is on board.
                     Blessings,
                    Lillian Cruces
                    Director of Religious Education
                    St. Mary of the Assumption Church
                    Whittier, CA

                    "Love God, serve God: everything is in that." -- St. Clare of Assisi

                    ________________________________
                    We have 130 children preparing for First Communion. The children from our Catholic School and our RE program are all required to participate in a year long parish formation program. We use "Growing Up Catholic" which calls on the parents to be the catechist with a coach helping. This has been challenging because a lot of the Catholic school parents think that the schools should prepare their children for Sacraments. For the actual First Communions, we have 3 regular weekend Masses and the first Communions happen during one weekend. The families are mixed together and divided into masses by lottery. Each family gets a pew with the child sitting on the end. The parents bring their child up for Communion. We are striving so that everything we do reinforces the truth that the parents are the first teachers of their children.
                    We also have eliminated having the children do readings during the Mass. It became a tremendous source of competition and pressure for the kids. A family is selected to bring up the gifts from each Mass.
                    My life was a virtual nightmare before we simplified the liturgy in this way. Parents would get so bent out of shape that their child wasn't a lector that they would get completely distracted from the EUcharist itself.

                    --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, Mary Garlow <mpgarlow@...> wrote:

                    > One thing you could do is refer to the General Instruction of the Roman Missal.
                    > Under Chapter 3 part 2 it states we are to shun any appearance of individualism
                    > or division. I cannot find where there is any provision for an
                    > entrance procession with anyone other than the priests and ministers of the
                    > liturgy so we do not process in with First Communicants or even Confirmandi. If
                    > anyone knows of any instruction on this please let me know.
                    > We too keep families together. Separating them seems to be in direct conflict
                    > with the GIRM. We've been trying to form the families for not just first
                    > communion but for their 2000 communion as well. It is a challenging job for sure
                    > as for many years so much emphasis has been placed on the "First."
                    > ________________________________

                  • amy ballanco
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 18, 2011
                      We have 180 and do the same thing.  We cut out all the extra First Communion "things" so the children only have to concentrate on receiving the Body of Christ that day and not their extra "jobs".  It makes it not so much "show time" and it makes the Mass a managable time and the focus is in the right place.  We do, however, bring the children up to the Altar area during the Procession and they bow when the priest does.  This way all the children can be seen and then they go to their place with their family.

                      ________________________________
                      We have 130 children preparing for First Communion. The children from our Catholic School and our RE program are all required to participate in a year long parish formation program. We use "Growing Up Catholic" which calls on the parents to be the catechist with a coach helping. This has been challenging because a lot of the Catholic school parents think that the schools should prepare their children for Sacraments. For the actual First Communions, we have 3 regular weekend Masses and the first Communions happen during one weekend. The families are mixed together and divided into masses by lottery. Each family gets a pew with the child sitting on the end. The parents bring their child up for Communion. We are striving so that everything we do reinforces the truth that the parents are the first teachers of their children.
                      We also have eliminated having the children do readings during the Mass. It became a tremendous source of competition and pressure for the kids. A family is selected to bring up the gifts from each Mass.
                      My life was a virtual nightmare before we simplified the liturgy in this way. Parents would get so bent out of shape that their child wasn't a lector that they would get completely distracted from the EUcharist itself.

                      --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, Mary Garlow <mpgarlow@...> wrote:

                      > One thing you could do is refer to the General Instruction of the Roman Missal.
                      > Under Chapter 3 part 2 it states we are to shun any appearance of individualism
                      > or division. I cannot find where there is any provision for an
                      > entrance procession with anyone other than the priests and ministers of the
                      > liturgy so we do not process in with First Communicants or even Confirmandi. If
                      > anyone knows of any instruction on this please let me know.
                      > We too keep families together. Separating them seems to be in direct conflict
                      > with the GIRM. We've been trying to form the families for not just first
                      > communion but for their 2000 communion as well. It is a challenging job for sure
                      > as for many years so much emphasis has been placed on the "First."

                    • Alicia Brierton
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 1, 2011
                        Our parish use the "Family Style" for First Eucharist. Then, first Saturday in
                        May, we have all of the children come together for Solemn Celebration. We are a
                        small parish...15 to 30 children. Each Sunday for several weeks there are
                        anywhere from 1 to 5 communicants at the weekend Mass. Because we do not have
                        the tradition group First Eucharist, we avoid overshadowing receiving the body
                        and blood of Jesus Christ for the "party."