Sacraments and older children

  • amy ballanco
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
      What do you all use when a child needs a Sacrament prep book for older children say, grades 4 to 8.  I can only find a few and don't know which one is good.  There are no workbooks.  All I see are instructional.  If the book goes home the student needs to fill in or write something so I know it was done.  Of course we do have some instructional time but I am looking for more activities in the lesson.  Ideas?

    • sradrienneb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
        I use Sadlier's Book OUR CATHOLIC FAITH

      • Tom Rinkoski
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
          Tuesday 7 June 2011

          Greetings from Gainesville!

          Fear I am not much help here, as we began designing our own textbooks for Sacrament Prep a couple of years ago.  This enables us each year to vary text pages according to seasonal and saint celebrations, as well as to age.  Last year was our first experiment with this approach with First Communion.  We structured it as a sort of "scrapbook" approach.  The results were absolutely wonderful!   I am working on improving the materials for that specific grade levels you cite, because we had about 6 of them in our First Communion program last year.  Not only was it a vast age differential, but also dual language.
            The challenges never stop!

          I'll be very interested in other input myself.

          in the smiles and stories of Jesus,

          Tom Rinkoski, Director
          Family Faith Formation & Marriage Ministries
          St. Augustine Parish & Student Center

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
            I don't worry to much about a workbook. My experience is the older kids want to receive the Sacraments so the desire to learn is there.

            No ideas on a workbook type publisher. I'm not sure how effective a workbook would be to older kids except that they find the answers for the purpose of getting it done, and then forget the answers.

            I have the kids worry more about how does this speak to me. And keep a journal. Then we sit down and talk about it. It's really easy to tell if someone has read the book or not.

            You could write some quick questions for them to journal about. Questions that are really open ended so that when they sit down with you that you have a discussion starter.

            A textbook that is awesome is The Catholic Connections Handbook for Middle Schoolers by St. Marys Press has a really great explanation of the Sacrament of Eucharist. It's well written. It isn't a Sacramental Preparation book specifically, but it does give amazing descriptions of the Sacraments for middle school. It has about 50 pages about the Sacrament of Eucharist.

            It also about 10 pages on Penance which would need to be supplemented with how to go to confession... since people should be prepared to receive First Penance prior to receiving First Eucharist.
            You can order a catechist guide with lots of interactive ideas (sort of like youth ministry ideas)... you could get journal questions from that. No workbook that I know of though.

            Jenn

            To: dre-talk@yahoogroups.com
            From: amyballanco@...
            Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 12:54:38 -0700

            What do you all use when a child needs a Sacrament prep book for older children say, grades 4 to 8. I can only find a few and don't know which one is good. There are no workbooks. All I see are instructional. If the book goes home the student needs to fill in or write something so I know it was done. Of course we do have some instructional time but I am looking for more activities in the lesson. Ideas?

          • fkoob
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2011
              The middle grades books on Reconciliation and Eucharist by RC: Benziger work well for our special classes if you are looking for texts that target sacrament prep and not just Catholic Faith basics.

              My catechists who do this really like using them. We work with them a half-hour before regular RE classes for the children who need this older sacrament prep.

              Frank Koob
              St. Joseph the Worker
              Wheeling, IL
              sjwreled@...
              847-537-4182
            • Diana Solomon
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2011
                 Harcourt has a good text  "Call to Celebrate Reconciliation & Eucharist". No workbook but it has activities throughout the chapters that are hands on. If the children take home the book it makes for a good parent/child review.

              • Annette Tracy
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2011
                  We use books from RCL Benzinger:  "Reconciliation - We are your people, the sheep of your flock"  (#20451) and "Eucharist - Do this in memory of me"  (#20441).  Both books have sections for the child to fill out.  There is also a "Family Guide" for each book that I have the parents work on too.

                  I have a sample letter that I send out that starts off like this: (I would be happy to share this letter in full with you)

                  "The “Continuing Initiation for Children” program is a process that invites any child age 7 to 14 (Grades 3-8) interested in searching the Catholic Faith to discover what the Catholic Church teaches and believes. It is designed for children who have had limited or no religious formation and have not received the sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Eucharist.  This program is in addition to ongoing regular CCD religious education classes."

                  Annette Tracy
                  Church of Saint Joseph
                  New Jersey

                • amy ballanco
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 8, 2011
                    Thank you all for your help.  I have sent away for some samples due to your recomendations.  Blessings, Amy