Lent Family Day Help

  • J Owens
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2011
      Hi everyone!
      Does anyone have any ideas for something I could do for a Lent Family Day?

      For Advent Family Day we made Advent wreaths. I'm kind of a crafty person so I'm thinking of a crafty idea that they can use during Lent to pray; but, I'm open to other ideas too!

      Thank you
      Jenn

    • Dennis Gorsich
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2011
        When our kids were little, we made a cross from the trunk of the Christmas
        Tree, drilled 7 holes for purple taper candles so it could lay on a table
        (also had to make sure the base or underneath side was flat). Then as a
        family we lit one candle on Ash Wednesday, then another on each Sunday in
        Lent. It is a lot like the Advent Wreath where you have a center piece that
        holds your attention and provides a way to count down to Easter. The family
        prayed around it in the same pattern (minus the Christmas Carols) as we had
        used for Advent. We did this for close to 20 years with out 6 children.

        By the way, we used the cross for the Easter Season and on Pentecost Sunday.
        Easter Sunday morning the kids woke up to the formerly bare cross with
        purple candles replace with a cross surrounded with spring flowers
        (artificial) and Easter candy, with 7 white candles. We used this for the
        seven Sundays of Easter in the same fashion as the Advent Wreath and the
        Lenten Cross. Then on Pentecost the white candles were replaced with red
        candles and the spring flowers with 4 pieces of cake, so we could celebrate
        the birthday of the Church.

        A few years ago, as DRE, I made crosses out of 2x2's (which was much easier
        than tree trunks) that were cut to fit together and pre-drilled for the
        candles. We gave these to families in our program after sharing our own
        family tradition. Several families later shared how they had used the
        crosses. I think if they made the cross themselves they would be more likely
        to carry on with the actual family prayer time during Lent.

        Dennis Gorsich

        Holy Spirit Parish

        San Diego, CA

        I GoodSearch for Holy Spirit Church (San Diego)!

        Raise money for your favorite charity just by seraching the Internet or
        shopping online with GoodSearch--www.goodsearch.com--powered by Yahoo!

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2011
          Check out LoyolaPress.com for their Intergenerational Lent program. They have a number of ideas.

          Abundant Blessings,

          Michele

          Michele Idiart Walsh
          St. Joachim Church
          21250 Hesperian Blvd.
          Hayward, CA 94541

          510 785-1818

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 7, 2011
            I'm not much for wood-working, but a number of years ago we made a similar
            cross at a Lenten family gathering, using salt dough we had made ahead of
            time. Each family received a bag of dough, with the following instructions:

            1. On a paper plate form a cross out of the salt dough provided in your
            supply bag.

            2. Use one of the candles to poke four holes down the center of the cross
            and one hole in each side bar.

            3. When finished, cover it with plastic wrap.

            4. This dough requires baking - otherwise it will crumble and crack. As
            soon as possible, bake it at 325 until hard all over. Baking times will
            vary depending on thickness. (We didn't have the facilities at church to
            bake them, as we were also baking at another station.)

            5. Each week of Lent light one additional candle, until all six candles are
            lit during Holy Week.

            Another year we made "Prayer Pots". Each family received a lump of
            self-drying clay, a bag of the weekly items, and a booklet of weekly
            instructions. The instructions read: "Shape the clay in your bag into a
            pot. If you'd like you can decorate it by carving designs, making
            fingerprints, etc. Let it air dry at home, and beginning on Ash Wednesday
            use the "prayer pot" items and booklet to help you grow in love and kindness
            this Lent."

            The items and instructions were:

            Ash Wednesday - a set of sticker 'feet'

            Place the prayer pot in a special location where it can't be
            missed, perhaps the center of the family table.

            Place the feet in the pot. Today we begin our 40-day Lenten
            journey.

            First Sunday of Lent - a small foam or wooden heart

            Place the small heart in your pot today, to remind everyone of
            God's love for us. The heart also reminds us that we should show our love
            for, and be kind to, others.

            Second Sunday of Lent - a seed

            A small seed is placed in the pot today to remind us that God's
            love for us constantly grows. We should try hard to grow in our love for
            God and others.

            Third Sunday of Lent - a rubber band

            Place a rubber band in the pot as a reminder that God always
            stretches his patience with us. We need to do the same for others, even
            when it isn't easy.

            Fourth Sunday of Lent - a game piece (our planning group all brought
            miscellaneous pieces)

            Add a game piece to the pot today. This reminds us to take
            turns and share.

            Fifth Sunday of Lent - a band-aid

            Today we put a band-aid in the pot to remind us to help other
            people when they are sad or hurt.

            Palm Sunday - nothing in the bag - they got their own palm at Mass

            Place a tiny piece of the palm you get at Mass in the pot, to
            remind us that Jesus is our King and we always need to remember to say our
            prayers to him.

            Easter Sunday - a piece of eggshell

            The final item is a tiny piece of eggshell to remind us that,
            like the chick coming out of the shell, Jesus is risen to new life and will
            always be with us.

            If we were doing it again we would include some additional discussion
            starters for each week.

            We did a very similar activity another year with a bare grapevine wreath
            that we added items to each week - I still have it in my sideboard, but I
            can't find the instructions at this point.

            Other activities we've done:

            Lenten (or Advent) placemats - Each person got an 11x16 piece of purple
            construction paper to decorate for the season with markers, tissue paper,
            construction paper, etc. When finished, it was covered with clear contact
            paper. My family has some of these that are about 20 years old we still
            bring out each Advent and Lent.

            Pretzels - we've used either pre-made dough, or bread sticks, to shape
            pretzels and share the story of pretzels as we talk about praying during
            Lent.

            Individual king cakes - we've unrolled cinnamon rolls and then re-shaped
            them into circles, sprinkling with purple, gold and green sprinkles.

            Tissue paper banners to hang in the window - long strips of light colored
            tissue paper with one end folded over a dowel or hanger, decorated with
            words or symbols using markers or additional colors of tissue paper.

            I hope you have a wonderful Family Day!

            Terry

            Church of the Redeemer

            Mechanicsville, VA

          • Sandi Belleque
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 8, 2011
              On year we had packets for family with a Lenten prayer and then included:  wooden cross, 3 nails, molding clay and wire wrapped like burlap (if that makes sense).  The families created their own centerpiece for their table.  They twisted the wire into a crown of thorns and put it over the top of the cross.  Then they stuck the nails and cross into the molding clay and stood it up on their tables.  We put all this in a large baggie--you could label it--Lent 2011.