defining hard words

  • culver76
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
      Here are some words I 'know' but had a really hard time explaining to a group yesterday. How do you explain them to a student/child?

      Grace
      Mercy

      and the difference between "mercy" and "forgiveness"

      Thank you for sharing your insights!
      Lori Crawford
      DRE
      Our Lady of Light, Ft Myers, FL
    • Susanne Bunn
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
        When I talk with children about grace or sanctifying grace, I start by telling them that grace is a gift from God. I describe a theorhetical gift. "Suppose there was a gift here as big as a boxcar, tied with a wide red ribbon with a gift card with your name on it, what would you want to know?" They say, "What's in the box? What is it?" God's gift is a sharing in God's own life. God is everywhere, but God doesn't have a personal relationship of friendship with a rock or a stick. When we are baptized, God gives us the gift of a personal relationship of friendship. Father, Son and Holy Spirit come and live, indwell, in us. With this gift of friendship, we can live forever with God in heaven. When we worship at Mass, when we pray, when we learn about God, when we live wholeheartedly, the friendship grows. Sister Susanne, MHSH

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2010
          Mercy can become compassion, As in "Jesus had compassion toward the
          crowd." It's an entering into another's feelings and making them your
          own. It may include the kind of understanding that includes forgiveness.
          It can lead to other responses such as prayer, kindness, caring and helping.

          It is extending God's loving kindness to others.

          That is how I have come to understand mercy. And It can help others
          grasp it too, because the have the experience to match it.

          Frank
          DRE in Wheeling, Illinois