Copyright / TM on Legend

  • mikepage1968
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
      Just noticed that Interaction Point Games are using the name "Kingdom of Legend" for a Pathfinder world setting. Are they aloud to do that?

      http://www.interactionpoint.com/kingdomsoflegend
    • Joel Laurent
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
        The name Legend is a registered trademark by Dave Morris and Oliver Johnson, but in that precise case  it seems to me that Legend is used as a common name and not as a name of the universe.
        If they had used the lands of legend, they would have no rights.

        In France, there are associations and companies which use " Les Terres de légende ", the name of the first translation of Dragon Warriors and there are no problems with it.

        Just noticed that Interaction Point Games are using the name "Kingdom of Legend" for a Pathfinder world setting. Are they aloud to do that?

        http://www.interactionpoint.com/kingdomsoflegend

      • Robert Mammone
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
          Isn't Legend a world, not a kingdom?

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
            Legend is world, not a kingdom but the name used in that case can be open to misinterpretation.
            Everything depends on the interpretation that we can make it.

            Just noticed that Interaction Point Games are using the name "Kingdom of Legend" for a Pathfinder world setting. Are they aloud to do that?

            http://www.interactionpoint.com/kingdomsoflegend

          • Greg Volz
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
              The word "legend" cannot be copyrighted.  Short phrases can be though.  Kingdom of Legend is significantly different than Lands of Legend but finding a lawyer to send a cease and desist isn't (if that's what the copyright holders want to do).

              Sent from my iPhone