Re: Baronies of Albion.

  • mancerbear@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      > I was wondering if anybody out there has any documentation on the
      > baronies of Albion. I know that there are the lands of Baron
      Aldred,
      > Earl Montombre, Baron Grisaille, and Baron Althor. Does anybody
      else
      > have any more information on the other baronies, or how many
      baronies
      > there are, or even a map showing the boundaries.
      >
      > Any help will help.

      So I guess nobody really has an answer for me here? No biggie, just
      wanted to know before I started handing out lands ot nobles. Just as
      an aside...does anybody happen to know how big Montombre or
      Grisaille's lands are? We Know that Baron Aldred's lands are truely
      expansive, except for the incursion of Baron Althor's lands. Any
      more information out there?
    • Peter Lee
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001

        > So I guess nobody really has an answer for me here? No biggie, just
        > wanted to know before I started handing out lands ot nobles. Just as
        > an aside...does anybody happen to know how big Montombre or
        > Grisaille's lands are? We Know that Baron Aldred's lands are truely
        > expansive, except for the incursion of Baron Althor's lands. Any
        > more information out there?

        I guess this is (as you've probably already worked out) one of those
        occasions where you get to shape the game world to suit you and your
        players. A few points you could, if you like, take into consideration:

        - Borders often followed physical boundaries like mountain ranges and
        rivers.

        - Even so, borders were ill-defined and poorly patrolled. Structures like
        Offa's Dyke and Hadrian's Wall were the exception rather than the rule.

        - Where a border passes through an area of difficult terrain like hills,
        forest or swamp the border typically becomes even more indistinct. On a
        map, the line stops at the difficult terrain and starts again on the other
        side. In between is a no-man's land ruled by brigands, outlaws and petty
        warlords. Add "faeries and beasties" in a place like Legend ;-)

        - Similarly, where the border is subject to contention a kind of frontier
        mentality may develop where allegiances change regularly, homes and farms
        are fortified, and violence is the preferred method of dispute resolution.

        - The best lands, including large expanses of forest, will be claimed by the
        Crown. The king may or may not enforce this.

        Ultimately, it's your game, do what feels right for you and bugger what
        anyone else has to say!
      • mancerbear@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2001
          > I guess this is (as you've probably already worked out) one of those
          > occasions where you get to shape the game world to suit you and your
          > players.

          Yep, that's what I figured to Peter, but I thouhgt I'd ask and see if
          there was anybody out there with the information. Thank's for hte
          further advice though. Constructive input is always welcome :)

          MancerBear