Black death in Dragwars?

  • herrkharille
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
      Reading about it. 30% of Europe depopulated by a disease that would've came over from the far east. Sounds like a great theme to implement but really demanding. I mean, whats the point of accumulating wealth when most shops are not selling? The economies must be wasted.

      Then again, what would the fantasy version of this disease be? Would it originate from within the Dragwars Europe? Seems this disease would be more powerful than that the True Magi could do?

      Could you implement this in your campaign? How would you go about it? Would it fit in with the year 1000 Dragwars? Coinside with the events of Bloodsword bk 5?
    • Shaun Hately
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
        On 2/11/2010 1:18 PM, herrkharille wrote:
        > Reading about it. 30% of Europe depopulated by a disease that would've
        > came over from the far east. Sounds like a great theme to implement but
        > really demanding. I mean, whats the point of accumulating wealth when
        > most shops are not selling? The economies must be wasted.
        >
        > Then again, what would the fantasy version of this disease be? Would it
        > originate from within the Dragwars Europe? Seems this disease would be
        > more powerful than that the True Magi could do?

        Well, we do have some indications about this in the 'official' game.

        "The table on the previous page contains a few suggestions for diseases
        that may be contracted in the Dragon Warriors world. Normally,there will
        be a 5% chance per month of a player contracting one of these
        diseases, but a short stay in a damp, rat-infested dungeon, or to a city
        teeming with the plague may increase the chances to 10% or even 15%."

        (Rulebook, p127)

        "Merchant-adventurers seldom brave the ports of Ereworn, for villains
        lurk as thick as shadows and one’s life may be lost as easily as one’s
        merchandise. Outside the towns, the countryside is bleak and scattered
        with crude forts and peasant hovels. Many villages are deserted because
        of the Black Death that has claimed many of the people in recent years.
        At night the peasants shutter their windows and cower by the freside
        while goblins dance on the rooftops and the Devil, they say, stalks the
        land with his two hounds—Pestilence and Plague."

        (Rulebook, p153)

        "The lands of the Ta’ashim faith are intrinsically richer in the
        kind of commodities which are easy to transport: silks, pearls,
        precious metals, etc. Merchants are held in high esteem. This contrasts
        with the north, where most communities must be as self-reliant as
        possible and most resources are such things as timber and furs, which
        are not cost-effective to transport over long distances. Poor roads,
        lawlessness and the plague have all contributed to stifle trade in the
        north (except around the Coradian Sea and up around the coast to
        southern Albion). The overall effect of these factors has been to make
        the Ta’ashim countries more peaceful and generally more advanced, though
        at the cost of losing the raw aggression which drives the northerners to
        expand their domains."

        (Rulebook, p165)

        > Could you implement this in your campaign? How would you go about it?
        > Would it fit in with the year 1000 Dragwars? Coinside with the events of
        > Bloodsword bk 5?

        I quite like the idea of having it figure in an Apocalyptic campaign c
        AS1000 - one of the five Ghosts of the Magi is 'Plague Star'.
      • Christopher Loh
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
          Hmm... That sounds like a good backdrop for "end of the world theme".

          Blue moon could blurred the boundaries of life and death which means more
          undead...
          Gift Star could exert a subtle influence by getting people to be more
          reckless to be 'lucky' or spreading doomsday prophecy and thus breaking down
          society structure.
          Plague Star is quite obvious.
          Red Death like to mean war.
          White light could mean that one consciousness of one difference from other
          races and seek to impose ones superiority over the rest.

          What do you guys think?

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
            > Hmm... That sounds like a good backdrop for "end of the world theme".
            >
            > Blue moon could blurred the boundaries of life and death which means more
            > undead...
            > Gift Star could exert a subtle influence by getting people to be more
            > reckless to be 'lucky' or spreading doomsday prophecy and thus breaking down
            > society structure.
            > Plague Star is quite obvious.
            > Red Death like to mean war.
            > White light could mean that one consciousness of one difference from other
            > races and seek to impose ones superiority over the rest.
            >
            > What do you guys think?

            Yeah well, there would be a lot of 'battles' between good and evil. Think of the yggdrasil tree task in bk3 of bloodsword. Again, the preist has to do his bit to save the world. And also in bk5 Dragwars Balor may walk the earth spreading destruction. Remember, Vallander sleeps until the country is threatened. Then he will arise and call all players who completed King Under the Forest to fight with him.

            Its all there. Must be other apocolyptic, ragnarok events happening everywhere. After of which, paradise descends onto the lands of legend. Or was that implied in the end of bk5 bloodsword?
          • wodenkrait
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010
              In my campaign, the great plague is a plot by creatures called Thurgah who resent humanity, which they feel are the unworthy inheritors of the world. The Thurgah originally attempt to set off the plague, which they have created as an artificial contagion, in the time of the PC's lives, but are thwarted by them. However, in the long term history of my world I kind of envisage that they succeed a couple of centuries down the line. My version of the great plague kills nearly 90% of all people, and almost 100% of magic-capable people, which eventually paves the way for the advent of technology to fill the niche left by magic.

              Cheers,

              -Kyle

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010
                I've always interpreted these references as being "plagues" rather than "The Plague". Pestilence was a common thing in the middle ages but I don't see any evidence of a catastrophe on the scale of the great plague in Legend.

                Cheers,

                -Kyle

                --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, Shaun Hately <shaun.hately@...> wrote:

                > On 2/11/2010 1:18 PM, herrkharille wrote:
                > > Reading about it. 30% of Europe depopulated by a disease that would've
                > > came over from the far east. Sounds like a great theme to implement but
                > > really demanding. I mean, whats the point of accumulating wealth when
                > > most shops are not selling? The economies must be wasted.
                > >
                > > Then again, what would the fantasy version of this disease be? Would it
                > > originate from within the Dragwars Europe? Seems this disease would be
                > > more powerful than that the True Magi could do?
                >
                > Well, we do have some indications about this in the 'official' game.
                >
                > "The table on the previous page contains a few suggestions for diseases
                > that may be contracted in the Dragon Warriors world. Normally,there will
                > be a 5% chance per month of a player contracting one of these
                > diseases, but a short stay in a damp, rat-infested dungeon, or to a city
                > teeming with the plague may increase the chances to 10% or even 15%."
                >
                > (Rulebook, p127)
                >
                > "Merchant-adventurers seldom brave the ports of Ereworn, for villains
                > lurk as thick as shadows and one's life may be lost as easily as one's
                > merchandise. Outside the towns, the countryside is bleak and scattered
                > with crude forts and peasant hovels. Many villages are deserted because
                > of the Black Death that has claimed many of the people in recent years.
                > At night the peasants shutter their windows and cower by the freside
                > while goblins dance on the rooftops and the Devil, they say, stalks the
                > land with his two hounds—Pestilence and Plague."
                >
                > (Rulebook, p153)
                >
                > "The lands of the Ta'ashim faith are intrinsically richer in the
                > kind of commodities which are easy to transport: silks, pearls,
                > precious metals, etc. Merchants are held in high esteem. This contrasts
                > with the north, where most communities must be as self-reliant as
                > possible and most resources are such things as timber and furs, which
                > are not cost-effective to transport over long distances. Poor roads,
                > lawlessness and the plague have all contributed to stifle trade in the
                > north (except around the Coradian Sea and up around the coast to
                > southern Albion). The overall effect of these factors has been to make
                > the Ta'ashim countries more peaceful and generally more advanced, though
                > at the cost of losing the raw aggression which drives the northerners to
                > expand their domains."
                >
                > (Rulebook, p165)
              • Captain Starkiller
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010

                  I have toyed with the idea of such a plague.  But considering the effort that has gone into making the world, I decided that I would not lay waste to it.

                  If it was to happen though, it would be due to an act of great evil as magic would be able to be used in some areas to fight its effects.

                  But you never know, it might yet happen in my game world...

                • herrkharille
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010

                    > I have toyed with the idea of such a plague. But considering the effort
                    > that has gone into making the world, I decided that I would not lay
                    > waste to it.

                    I have had thoughts about other world changing events. Like, if you read about Tunguska, some meteorite that lays waste to an area of forest. Only affects a local area. Personally I've created legends about a great dragon fighting off a malgash creature only to find a meteorite smashing into his mountain. Then again, this somehow reminds me of Lone Wolf. I think they have a dragon there that fought with another balrog-like creature.

                    But the impact of Tunguska is only on the local villages. It could happen in Albion and most peasants probably wouldn't take notice.
                  • wodenkrait
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010
                      I think if a five megaton explosion occurred anywhere in Albion everybody for hundreds of miles would most certainly notice! Those further away would soon hear about the calamity.

                      Cheers,

                      -Kyle

                      .

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010
                        --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "wodenkrait" <imirage@...> wrote:

                        > I think if a five megaton explosion occurred anywhere in Albion everybody for hundreds of miles would most certainly notice! Those further away would soon hear about the calamity.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > -Kyle

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

                        Ok, maybe Krarth is so wide and so low density maybe they wouldn't think much if one of the Magi decided to do a landing. I guess, that kinda' explosion might bother a lot of neighborhoods in Ellesland.
                      • Damien Wise
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010
                          On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Captain Starkiller <captainstarkiller@...> wrote:

                          I have toyed with the idea of such a plague.  But considering the effort that has gone into making the world, I decided that I would not lay waste to it.

                          If it was to happen though, it would be due to an act of great evil as magic would be able to be used in some areas to fight its effects.

                          But you never know, it might yet happen in my game world...

                          I think the Plague is an every part of life. Some towns will be a no-go-zone. People are smart enough to spit the signs, and separate the infected.
                          From what my characters have seen of the world, plague is created by infections from Hellrots, and then spreads from person to person. If the plague is brought into a town, the first blamed are travellers, especially if they return from exotic climes. And, those who dabble in evil bring it on themselves.

                          Dragon Warriors had an apocalypse-event, and have another on the way: the Blasting of Spyte, and  Year 1000, when the Magi seek to return. I've played through the Bloodsword campaign, converted to Dragon Warriors, and it was _excellent_. Are there any official plans for such a book?

                          Cheers,