Player's Guide - New Equipment?

  • JeffW
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
      Will the player's guide also include more equipment options? I believe there were several new weapons and armor types in Mongoose's Signs & Portents e-zine, any idea if they'll be included (or items like them)?

      Also, any chance to get a table of contents preview or something?

      Thanks!
    • naimadyam
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
        Check www.magnumopuspress.com for a document you might find interesting.

        Not sure what I'm allowed to say but I think you'll be happy. ;)

        --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "JeffW" <jeff_white_74@...> wrote:

        > Will the player's guide also include more equipment options? I believe there were several new weapons and armor types in Mongoose's Signs & Portents e-zine, any idea if they'll be included (or items like them)?
        >
        > Also, any chance to get a table of contents preview or something?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • JeffW
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
          I couldn't find anything...

          Is this another contest like the error in the rulebook? Will I get a prize? :)

        • bonivantchaplain@tiscali.co.uk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010

            Yeah Jeff, like the Poleaxe - a quintasentially Albish 2 handed weapon, designed purelly to deal with heavy armour (d12, 5) - Ooouuch.  This make 2 handed swords obsulete???

            If your using the 'alternative' damage system, the Poleaxe is the 'ultimate' weapon, doing upto 15 HP of damage in ONE hit - cut you in half mate!!!!

          • James Wallis
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
              I believe he's referring to this:

              http://www.magnumopuspress.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dragon-warriors-additional-weapons.pdf

              and this:

              http://www.magnumopuspress.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dragon-warriors-expanded-armour.pdf

              both of which will be integrated into the Players Book

              --
              James Wallis
              Spaaace, the games consultancy
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
                d12,4, actually, which makes it a little more forgiving - but as it's a sodding great polearm, you'll need a fair space to swing it in. Anyone even seen it used in a campaign?

                I use a variant damage system, which would put this at d12+2, making 14 HP damage with a huge hit (although plate armour can give you up to AF7). Still hurts, though.

                I've used the warhammer given here in a campaign now on hiatus, and d10+1 works strangely well - even once you've hit, the damage can be anything from 2 (stopped by light leather armour) to 11, which can kill a man - adds to the excitement.

                The Arbalest is a little strange, though - big, powerful, and 5 rounds of winding, with only 5 damage.  You can hit someone with a battleaxe for more, and most people could be hit by one and walk away.

                To: dragwars@yahoogroups.com
                From: bonivantchaplain@...
                Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 10:52:45 +0100
                Subject: Re: [dragwars] Player's Guide - New Equipment?

                Yeah Jeff, like the Poleaxe - a quintasentially Albish 2 handed weapon, designed purelly to deal with heavy armour (d12, 5) - Ooouuch.  This make 2 handed swords obsulete???
                If your using the 'alternative' damage system, the Poleaxe is the 'ultimate' weapon, doing upto 15 HP of damage in ONE hit - cut you in half mate!!!!

                Download the new Windows Live Looking for a place to manage all your online stuff?
              • bonivantchaplain@tiscali.co.uk
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 9, 2010

                  Thanks Chris, I sit corrected.  I am about to use an NPC 'Black Knight' in my game, who uses a Poleaxe.  This will scares the willies out of the players, and very effective at cutting people in twain.  When someone is badly tackled in football/rugby the commentator often says "He went down like he was poleaxed!"  Even today this weapon resonates in our oral culture some 500 years after...

                  I have seen Poleaxes used in re-enactment, where they CAN be used close range or in a confined space.  The fighting style looks more like quarterstaff or spear in that case.  The full blooded whirling and swinging keeps people 3 to 4 metres away.

                  Des

                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 11, 2010
                    It was a very small correction ;)

                    You have got me thinking, though - weapons can be used in smaller than ideal spaces, but their effectiveness is recuded as well.  If someone has to use a poleaxe like a quarterstaff or spear, then perhaps it should be doing the same damage? I'm imagining somewhat less than 4m space...

                    I remember a long time ago having to house-rule a barbarian using a two handed sword in a narrow tunnel, and decided that to give him a fighting chance, he could use it as a stabbing weapon, only with attack and defence penalties and the same damage as a shortsword.

                    To: dragwars@yahoogroups.com