Conquest 2010

  • Rhain
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2010
      I'm now slowly recovering after spending 4 days at Melbourne's Easter Game Convention. Between Drednort and myself, we had 7 teams of players, ranging in size from 3 to 6 players playing our 4th installment of our campaign style Dragon Warriors tournament games (I've started calling it The Springdale Chronicles now - not sure if Drednort noticed it on the character sheets.)

      Our players were a mix of both first time DW players, people who had played some of our previous DW games, and even members of this list. Look out for new members joining us soon too, as we seem to be slowly adding each year to our player numbers at the conventions and it's looking like we may have one or two people joining dragwars too.

      I even managed to plug Ordo Draconis with the Pathfinder players (some of them had heard of Ordo too!!). And I know of some players who are now looking at purchasing DW in either hardcover format or pdf too.

      I had a great time at the convention, and apart from one session when 3 hack/slash (non-characterising) players walked out (just before the action started), all our other players enjoyed themselves.

      We may have even added an extra player to drednort's Monday night campaign too!

      So guys, if DW isn't running at a convention that you plan on attending, why not offer to run it yourself. You don't even have to be able to write a game as there are bound to be other writers out there apart from drednort and myself who have written games suitable for convention play. (One of our games, "The Cold Wind Comes" even ran in Cork, Ireland.) We have prize support and sponsorship from Magnum Opus and Mongoose (always great for promtion of a fun game).

      So come on, give it a go. We do 2 - 3 times a year, and have great fun!
    • cameron_ord_smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2010
        Thanks Rhain, the write-up was v. interesting.

        AFAIK the closest Con to me is 1300km away in Cape Town... but unfortunately I am not sure it is happening this year... though it has run for the last 21 years so perhaps they are just taking a while updating their website.

        What tips do you have for setting up DW Scenarios to be "Con-friendly"? And how do you score each "match" in the tournament?

        cameron

        > I'm now slowly recovering after spending 4 days at Melbourne's Easter Game Convention. Between Drednort and myself, we had 7 teams of players, ranging in size from 3 to 6 players playing our 4th installment of our campaign style Dragon Warriors tournament games (I've started calling it The Springdale Chronicles now - not sure if Drednort noticed it on the character sheets.)
        >
        > Our players were a mix of both first time DW players, people who had played some of our previous DW games, and even members of this list. Look out for new members joining us soon too, as we seem to be slowly adding each year to our player numbers at the conventions and it's looking like we may have one or two people joining dragwars too.
        >
        > I even managed to plug Ordo Draconis with the Pathfinder players (some of them had heard of Ordo too!!). And I know of some players who are now looking at purchasing DW in either hardcover format or pdf too.
        >
        > I had a great time at the convention, and apart from one session when 3 hack/slash (non-characterising) players walked out (just before the action started), all our other players enjoyed themselves.
        >
        > We may have even added an extra player to drednort's Monday night campaign too!
        >
        > So guys, if DW isn't running at a convention that you plan on attending, why not offer to run it yourself. You don't even have to be able to write a game as there are bound to be other writers out there apart from drednort and myself who have written games suitable for convention play. (One of our games, "The Cold Wind Comes" even ran in Cork, Ireland.) We have prize support and sponsorship from Magnum Opus and Mongoose (always great for promtion of a fun game).
        >
        > So come on, give it a go. We do 2 - 3 times a year, and have great fun!

      • kieran turley
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2010
          I'd stick to the key elements of DW...give them a taste of the medieval setting, introduce an unknown horror that lurks not so very far from "civilisation", a bait and switch monster might be cool..."it's an ogre...oh wait, it's old man prescot" :P

          I usually create pre-gens that have iconic medieval backgrounds: nobles, bandits, churchmen etc so it's easier for the PCs to get a handle on things. Short, engaging, PC backgrounds are important since there are few skills or other things to give a player clues to what his character is like. I'd recommend adding a "quirk" or two to each character to make them jump out a but.

          My 2 cents anyhow :)

          Kieran