New poll for dragwars

  • dragwars@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 183 , Jun 2, 2009
      dragwars group:

      Which of the following "alternative professions" have you actually played in DW, either in a tabletop or PBM game/campaign.

      The list comes from the DW Wiki but almost all of the names are self-explanatory.

      o NONE OF THE BELOW - only played standard professions
      o Herbalist
      o Necromancer
      o Priest
      o Shaman
      o Wizard
      o Monk
      o Paladin
      o Ranger
      o Sage
      o War Mage
      o Archer
      o Bard
      o Forester
      o Pugilist
      o Thief
      o Trickster

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • Christopher Loh
      Message 183 of 183 , Oct 8, 2012
        Good to have you post on this issue and glad that cool heads prevail.

        Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 7:17 AM
        Subject: [dragwars] Re: New poll for dragwars

        I didn't interpret the poll as inflamatory personally. More like "how does it work in your world" rather than "how should it be?"

        I voted 1 in 210 because it seems to me like most villages (which would on average be about that population or smaller) would have at least one magic knicknack of some kind kicking around, although in retrospect maybe about 2-3% is better. 1% is fine too, although I can't see anything a lot less than that making much sense in the Legend that I perceive.

        Cheers,

        -Kyle

        AM, Kharille wrote:
        > > I find it fun... Maybe I'll toss out another
        apple....

        > I don't. And if people are going to deliberately try
        and provoke some
        > sort of fight, I will take steps.

        Note, I said 'some sort of fight'. Debate is good. And good debate will

        sometimes get spirited and as long as people are willing and able to

        back away if things start to go too far, that's all right. Personally I

        don't see anything wrong with the core of the discussion that's been

        happening either, and nothing wrong with the most recent poll - there

        are obviously differing views on how common magic items should be

        (personally, I think it's difficult to try and work that out in terms of
        > a whole population - I think among serfs, far less than 1 in 1000,
        > should have them, but once you get above the peasantry, into the
        > 'everybody else' population, that number would feel right to me - so
        > what proportion of the population are peasants. I can see a chance
        > (small but feasible) that even a poor (but free) farming family, having
        > a +1 short sword tucked away somewhere that Great-Grandfather brought
        > home from a battle field, and which is dug up from where it is hidden
        > under the barn, on those rare occasions when the local Lord calls a
        levy
        > of men-at-arms for forty days service.
        >
        > I also
        think a lot of the argument revolves around semantics. I
        > certainly
        believe it is possible for a magic item to be traded or even
        > sold - but
        whether there's a 'magic market' is a very different question
        > to me.
        Trying to think of a real world example, and what comes to mind
        > is
        something like London Bridge. In the 1960s, the city of London sold

        John Rennie's 19th century London Bridge, and it's now in Arizona. It

        was most definitely sold - but I wouldn't say there's much of a 'second

        hand bridge' market around.

        > Just about anything *might*
        occasionally be sold - but to me, talking
        > about a market constitutes
        something more organised than that.

        > When I think about it, the
        sale of London Bridge also seems to
        > illustrate one of the issues with
        magic items sales. London Bridge *was*
        > sold - but there are also a lot
        of stories about prominent landmarks
        > being sold that turned out to be
        con-jobs. Victor Lustig 'sold' the
        > Eiffel Tower once - and tried to do
        it twice. An American con-artist
        > whose name escapes me sold the
        Brooklyn Bridge on multiple occasions as
        > well as the Statue of Liberty.
        A lot more landmarks have been sold by
        > con artists than have actually
        been sold.