[dragwars] New Membership

  • Mike Davey
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2000
      Just a quick note to introduce myself to the group, I'm Mike Davey and
      live in the West Country, UK, I'm 28 years old and have been playing
      Dragon Warriors since (well lets just say since they were first
      released!). I was lucky enough to get all the books within a short
      time. My players love the DW games and they have replaced the likes of
      AD&D and Ars Magica as there favourite fantasy rpg's, the enormous
      amount of additional character classes (totalling about 30+ now I
      think), skills and spells that I have created have helped accordingly.

      In case your interested my current players consist of two Barbarians,
      an Elementalist, a Storm Mage*, a Sword Mage*, a Necromancer*, a
      Flagellant* and an Assassin. If anyone is interested in the rule
      additions then let me know.

      Well I'll check back regularly on eGroups for commments and suggestions
      so for now happy gaming everyone!
    • Wayne Imlach
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 9, 2000
        Welcome Mike.

        Please feel free to post rules suggestions, queries etc. on the forum. I for
        one would be most interested to hear what playing a 'Flagellant' entails!

        Thirty plus character classes is certainly no small expantion to the game.
        I've perhaps seen three new classes posted here (Forester, Trickster, Sage),
        plus perhaps five or six additional subclasses posted on the few Dragon
        Warriors websites that exist. I look forward to hearing about them all.

        Regards,

        Wayne I.
      • Tim Harford
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2000
          Welcome, Mike.

          The group is fairly quiet, which is perhaps the way we like it.
          I'm from London and run a couple of games set in Legend, which I think is an
          excellent world and much the best aspect of Dragon Warriors. I use GURPS
          rather than DW as a system, but as I've grown older and less fond of
          technical systems, I would prefer a modernised DW. (It's a basic principle
          not to change game systems in the middle of a campaign, though.)

          Many of the group are over in the antipodes, but don't let that put you
          off - they often have something interesting to say.

          Best wishes, and welcome again.
          Tim Harford
          tim.harford@...
        • Martin Nichol
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2000
            Well Mike beat me to it, so I'll introduce myself as the SECOND new
            member this century!

            My name is Martin Nichol and as a relatively old (fart?) RPGer I've
            been around games and gaming since the D&D rulebook was an A5 paperback
            booklet and the only adventure was to be found in Blackmarsh! I was
            only introduced to DW around 2 years ago and must admit that my initial
            reation was more than a bit sceptical... after all, it's just a
            glorified 'gamebook' isn't it?? Oh how wrong I was!

            I've probably seen, played, GM'd, owned and modified more RPGs than any
            sane person really should, but I have to admit that I was seriously
            impressed with DW. I think that it was the systems simplicity coupled
            with it's 'depth of playability' that was such a refreshing change to
            my somewhat jaded gaming palate. It felt 'comfortably familiar' like
            the original uncluttered D&D, but without the hype and
            self-involvement, etc. Probably it's greatest feature was that it
            allowed us to concentrate on playing the game for the sake of playing
            the game... having fun without having to take time out to study masses
            of tables and charts (we play a lot of RoleMaster!) but still feeling
            as if we had to obey certain rules of believability.

            I've managed to get books 1-4 and am desperatly trying to locate the
            others, although I feel that the "Lands of Legend" isn't as neccessary
            as "The Power of Darkness", as we play in our own world (had no choice
            as we didn't get the books all at once!)

            Anyways, enough prattle from me for now, but I look forward to seeing
            some of these additional character classes Mike mentioned. Anyone got
            any stuff available for download anywhere?

            Bye for now,
            Martin
          • wriley@uq.net.au
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2000
              > I've managed to get books 1-4 and am desperatly trying to locate the
              > others, although I feel that the "Lands of Legend" isn't as neccessary
              > as "The Power of Darkness", as we play in our own world (had no choice
              > as we didn't get the books all at once!)

              You will probably find that Lands of Legend is more useful than The
              Power of Darkness. most of the book is dedicated to new rules and
              concepts that werent really dealt with in the previous books.
              Where as The Power of Darkness has the rules for the most
              useless character class in the dragon warriors set and some very
              poor insanity rules. Opinion is generally divided as to the content of
              the rest of the book which is simply one large prewritten adventure.

              As a personal opinion, your choice not to use the Dragon Warriors
              world I dont agree with because I think that it's possibly the most
              beautiful and well balanced world i've seen in 15 years of gaming.

              > Anyways, enough prattle from me for now, but I look forward to seeing
              > some of these additional character classes Mike mentioned. Anyone got
              > any stuff available for download anywhere?

              you mentioned before that you had admired the simplicity of the
              rules system. Part of that simplicity is held in the small set of
              character classes. IMHO the last three classes to be added,
              assasins, elementalists and Warlocks did little or nothing for the
              game as a whole and in the 10 years I have played dragon warriors
              I've only ever seen two classes properly implemented one was a
              priest class (the rules may still be available on the net somewhere)
              which received a lot of general acclaim and a theif class that was
              written to replace the assassin class (everyone knows how
              unbalanced the assassins were.) and personally as a GM I've only
              ever used the thief class (although i played with the guy who
              designed the priest class as my GM and played with a priest in the
              group.)

              If the rules for priests arent available I probably still have a copy but
              as my home PC is out of commission anyone who is interested will
              have to wait.

              William Riley
            • Gez da' Loud 1
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2000
                Mike
                You have been a busy boy haven't you?
                I'd be interested in your Dragon Warriors spells and character classes. You
                can email me at
                Loud@...

                All da best
                Gez da Loud 1
                > Just a quick note to introduce myself to the group, I'm Mike Davey and
                > live in the West Country, UK, I'm 28 years old and have been playing
                > Dragon Warriors since (well lets just say since they were first
                > released!). I was lucky enough to get all the books within a short
                > time. My players love the DW games and they have replaced the likes of
                > AD&D and Ars Magica as there favourite fantasy rpg's, the enormous
                > amount of additional character classes (totalling about 30+ now I
                > think), skills and spells that I have created have helped accordingly.
                >
                > In case your interested my current players consist of two Barbarians,
                > an Elementalist, a Storm Mage*, a Sword Mage*, a Necromancer*, a
                > Flagellant* and an Assassin. If anyone is interested in the rule
                > additions then let me know.
                >
                > Well I'll check back regularly on eGroups for commments and suggestions
                > so for now happy gaming everyone!

                > FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE! XpertSite is the biggest directory
                > of Experts on the Web. For a REAL PERSON who will be happy to answer your
                questions!

                > -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=dragwars&m=1

              • Gez da' Loud 1
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10, 2000
                  Hi Martin
                  I know just how you feel. I was raised on D&D but felt that as the
                  characters progressed they just got too powerful and the game lost any
                  balance or believability. I tried various systems going for greater
                  believability and realistic combat and then gave up until one day my Dad
                  bought book 1 from a car boot sale as a pressie. It blew me away because of
                  it's pure simplicity and the fact that it keeps the characters mortal and
                  makes things like dragons to be greatly feared. I've managed to get books
                  1-5 Book 5 is my most recent addition and i've yet to use any of the classes
                  but on quick perusal they look a bit pants. I could be wrong. I have run the
                  adventure in my own world too but there seem to be lots of rules such as
                  ship's, laws and other bits that people keep going on about.... If you want
                  to swap ideas or are interested in some more equipment or character classes
                  let me know and i'll email you.
                  Gez da loud 1