RE: [dragwars] Another Bestiary arrived

  • Matthew Salmon
    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 30, 2008
      ... and nothing has changed, frankly.
      I'm good friends with several retailers / disties in Oz, and I have to say (for once) - buy this set elsewhere. It's just too hard.

      Matt

      > To: dragwars@yahoogroups.com
      > From: james.wallis@...
      > Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 02:47:22 +0000
      > Subject: Re: [dragwars] Another Bestiary arrived
      >
      > I talked to the Mongoose guys and other industry folk about this over the
      > weekend. Basically, game distribution in Australasia is not great (and
      > that was certainly my experience of it 1994-2003): there are no dedicated
      > distributors, but there are various shops that order product from the US
      > and UK, and then sell it on to other shops. This basically means games
      > retailers have to buy product from their business rivals. I don't know how
      > convoluted and incestuous that makes the whole process these days, but I
      > can say that back when I was selling Hogshead product to Australasia,
      > getting decent-sized orders out of Oz was like squeezing blood from a
      > stone.
      >
      > Sorry about that. I wish it was otherwise.
      >
      > James
      >

      > On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 02:35:59 -0000, <rumtap@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I contacted Mind Games Melbourne and Canberra as well as Tin Soldier in
      > > Sydney. My responses varied from "never heard of it" to "it hasn't been
      > > released yet."
      > >
      > > Mind Games told me they expect it will cost Aus $80. Given I can order
      > > the Rulebook and Bestiary for Aus $100 including postage I don't think I
      > > will be buying it in Australia.

      Multiple prizes and the ultimate dream beach house! Take a summer road trip with Windows Live Hotmail.
    • Damien Wise
      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 20, 2008
        Forgot to say the other day, but I picked-up a copy of the Bestiary from Misims.
        They had a few copies of the main rulebook stacked on the counter.
        Took a bit of hunting in the shelves to find one or two more copies of
        the rulebook and their final copy of the bestiary.

        Other books are still TBA or on the way.
        Said they get fortnightly shipments from the USA more reliably than
        the UK, which surprised me.

        They've about to start packing a bunch of stock to take to Canberra
        for CanCon (and I guess for Melbourne's Arcanacon over the same
        weekend).

        First impressions of he Dragon Warriors Bestiary:
        * Much like the rulebook, it appears to be a pretty direct reprint of
        the original text, with some eits and minor additions. It's
        re-ordered, made more consistent, and has some wrinkles ironed-out.
        eg: the beasties all have Perception sores and type of vision listed
        in their block of main stats.
        * Random Encounter tables are all together in the the same chapter at
        the front of the book.
        * There's a much-needed index on the final page.
        * The Bestiary is into various races and types (eg: animals, human and
        humanoid, undead). This will work _very_ well, I think. Firstly, it
        makes it easier to seatch by type/association/style. Secondly, I
        think many GMs are going to find themelf leaning more heavily on some
        sections for everyday opponents, while dipping into other parts for
        special occasions (or IIRC as the original Book 4 put it, "Saturday
        night specials"). For example, if your campaign has more of a
        mythological slant or you want a a heavy atmosphere of horror, then
        it's easy to depend on those chapters.
        * As some others have noted, I think the cover looks a little dark,
        though I like the way parts fade-off into the gloom and wouldn't want
        to anyone be heavy-handed if pushing-up the brightness/gamma/curves.
        * Paperback binding. While the the cost of making an 88 page hardback
        would've been steeper (Aus$38), but I worry about the longevity of the
        cover.
        * Illustrations are of the same high standard as the main rulebook,
        and there seems to be more of them per amount of text. Erik Wilson's
        developed a nice series of pics of undead, and Scott Purdy's
        illustrations are quite stylish (gotta love that Hellion!). Jon
        Hodgson's art continues to set the atmosphere/tone for Dragon
        Warriors, IMHO, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he's
        done/doing for other Dragon Warriors books.

        Cheers,
        Damien

        --
        Damien.Wise@...