[dragwars] SHIP RULES

  • Gez da' Loud 1
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 1999
      Hi Folks
      Gez da loud 1 here
      can anyone tell me if book 6 "Legend" details anything about ship travel, as I have recently managed to acquire book 5 and in one of the spell descriptions it mentions damage to SHIP POINTS. Could anyone tell me what that's about.

    • Wayne Imlach
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 1999
        There is a section entitled 'Going Places' in Book Six - it details the cost of sea travel, and the types of vessel available. Ship points are used to determine the sea-worthiness of a vessel, and are affected by both encounters with sea creatures and natural phenomenon such as storms. They are basically analogous to Health Points .

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 1999
          Thanx Wayne.
          You couldn't post an example of a ship type and a few details could you as an example?
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 1999
            Apologies to Dave for any breach of copyright in distilling the following ship rules - but with DW books (especially Book Six) being as rare as rocking horse sh...

            Ship Characteristics
            1 passenger (minimal possessions)= 250kg of Cargo Space
            Passengers with greater storage needs, such as adventurers, are likely to take up at least twice as much space.
            Cost to buy does not include crew wages or routine maintenance.

            5 Man Rowing Boat
            Ship Points: 2
            Cost: 75florins

            Small Longboat
            Optimum Crew: 1-3 Officers; 50 Oarsmen
            Cargo: 5000kg
            Ship Points: 10
            Cost: 5000florins

            Medium Longboat
            Optimum Crew: 2-6 Officers; 70 Oarsmen
            Cargo: 7500kg
            Ship Points: 15
            Cost: 6500florins

            Large Longboat
            Optimum Crew: 4-10 Officers; 170 Oarsmen
            Cargo: 12500kg
            Ship Points: 25
            Cost: 10000florins

            Small Cog
            Optimum Crew: 1-2 Officers; 10 Sailors
            Cargo: 12500kg
            Ship Points: 18
            Cost: 15000florins

            Medium Cog
            Optimum Crew: 2-4 Officers; 20 Sailors
            Cargo: 25000kg
            Ship Points: 25
            Cost: 30000florins

            Large Cog
            Optimum Crew: 5-7 Officers; 30 Sailors
            Cargo: 37500kg
            Ship Points: 32
            Cost: 50000florins

            Weather at sea:

            Decide on wind conditions for day of departure. Roll d6 and consult the chart corresponding to today's weather to determine the next day's conditions.

            Calm:
            1 - No change
            2 - No change
            3 - No change
            4 - Breeze
            5 - Breeze
            6 - Gale

            Breeze
            1 - Calm
            2 - Calm
            3 - No change
            4 - No change
            5 - Gale
            6 - Storm

            Gale
            1 - Calm
            2 - Breeze
            3 - Gale
            4 - Gale
            5 - Storm
            6 - Storm

            Storm
            1 - Breeze
            2 - Gale
            3 - Gale
            4 - Gale
            5 - Storm
            6 - Storm

            Distance Covered under sail in 24 hours (most longboats will put into shore at night):
            Longboat
            Calm 0-3 miles
            Breeze 4d20 miles
            Gale 9d20 miles
            Storm 1d100 miles in a random direction

            Cog
            Calm 0-3 miles
            Breeze 3d20 miles
            Gale 8d20 miles
            Storm 1d100 miles in a random direction

            Distance covered under oar in 12 hours (this is not sustainable unless using tireless undead or automata)
            Longboat 60miles
            Cog d6+4 (5-10) miles

            Longships may use oars to hold position in a storm - roll 3d20 instead of 1d100 for distance blown.

            If a storm is determined by the GM, roll under the Ship Captain's intelligence on d20 to correctly forecast the change - he may then head for shore or change course.

            Chance of Storm Damage

            Longship
            Day 1: 20%
            Day 2: 30%
            Day3+:45%

            Cog
            Day 1: 10%
            Day 2: 15%
            Day3+:20%

            First time a ship is damaged it loses 1d6 ship points.
            Further damage results in the loss of 2d6 ship points each time.
            At 0 ship points, a ship sinks.

            Ship Points Lost
            1-4 : Ship requires light repairs. Carried out while under way. Restore d2 ship points per day.
            5-8 : More serious damage. Must be beached. Restore d3 ship points per day while beached.
            9-14 : Serious Damage. 25% of foundering each day at sea. Half normal movement. Must put into Harbour. 1 ship point restored every 2 days.
            15-17: Heavy Damage. Oared progress at 1d6miles per day only. 75% chance of foundering each day at sea. Repairs as serious damage.

            Under manning
            At crew levels down to 50% of optimum, ships move at half speed, and chance of storm damage is at +10%. Further depletions and the ship can only scull along at approximately 10 miles per day. The chance of storm damage is doubled.

            Further encounter rules, cost of travel etc...seek out a copy of book six.

          • Gez da' Loud 1
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 1999
              Thanx for those rules they are a big help. I've got several book search companies on the go looking for book 6 (they've done pretty well I managed to get book 5) so these rules will tide me over until then.
              Big Thanx
              Gez da loud 1