DW Setting Proportion

  • Colin Chapman and Jo Wilding
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 27, 2008
      hey,

      So, I'm considering picking up DW for its use as a human-centric quick and simple fantasy rpg, but as I'm personally more likely to weave my own setting around the game system, my question is this: how much of the game is dedicated to the setting itself?

      cheers!
      Colin

    • Luke Walker
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
        Dragon Warriors can be used for any European medieval setting with ease. Probably almost as easy as using basic D&D for any such setting. Given that the setting wasn't fully published until book 6, we played it oblivious to it for many years.

        On saying that I make two comments:

        1. The setting is really one of the highlights of the game. Its broad and flexible, providing a base for any European medieval setting, yet it has an undeniable flavour and integrity that is very good. It also has an old school charm. I would check it out before deciding against it.

        2. The adventures can also be used sans setting. They do include setting details which adds a lot to the atmoshpere, but the adventures could be adopted in any European medieval setting of your own invention.

        Luke

        To: dragwars@yahoogroups.com
        From: oaklynx@...
        Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:17:48 +0000
        Subject: [dragwars] DW Setting Proportion

        hey,

        So, I'm considering picking up DW for its use as a human-centric quick and simple fantasy rpg, but as I'm personally more likely to weave my own setting around the game system, my question is this: how much of the game is dedicated to the setting itself?

        cheers!
        Colin

        Find out at the SEEK Salary Centre Are you getting paid enough?
      • Lev Lafayette
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
          I would like to add to Luke's comments which are entirely agreeable (I'll also take the opportunity to delurk).

          Dragon Warrior's scenarios and background is a great strength, not necessarily for the setting as such but for a strong and recurring theme of ethical ambiguity. If you really like high fantasy where there is a clear and obvious split between the good guys and the bad guys then perhaps the DW scenarios are not the right choice. If you prefer something that starts with the assumption that all are operating with shades of grey, then the scenarios are a great introduction.

          As for the game system DW is not strongly tied to the setting, with perhaps some flavour exceptions (e.g., elves being somewhat alien fae creatures rather than a pointy-eared, forest loving human).

          BTW, I recently reviewed DW on rpg.net; comments and corrections are invited.

          http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14027.phtml

          All the best,

          Lev

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
            Hey Luke,

            Isn't the setting largely the Real World "with the names filed off"? I
            could be mistaken there, but that's the impression I got (especially
            with mashed up Real World names like Cornumbria).
            That's what I based my assumption on, the problem for me being that
            settings that are the "Real World with the names filed off" tend to
            make me think, "Hmm, I'll just use the Real World anyway." Either
            that, or I go completely the other way and think, "Hmm, I'm more
            inclined to make it a bit more exotic." Yeah, I'm odd that way. ;)

            So, anyone have a good educated guess as to how much space the setting
            takes up in the rulebook? Anyone know if it was expanded in the new
            publication?

            cheers!
            Colin

            --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, Luke Walker <samanthaandluke@...> wrote:

            > Dragon Warriors can be used for any European medieval setting with
            ease. Probably almost as easy as using basic D&D for any such setting.
            Given that the setting wasn't fully published until book 6, we played
            it oblivious to it for many years.

            > On saying that I make two comments:
            >
            > 1. The setting is really one of the highlights of the game. Its
            broad and flexible, providing a base for any European medieval
            setting, yet it has an undeniable flavour and integrity that is very
            good. It also has an old school charm. I would check it out before
            deciding against it.

            > 2. The adventures can also be used sans setting. They do include
            setting details which adds a lot to the atmoshpere, but the adventures
            could be adopted in any European medieval setting of your own invention.
            > Luke
            >

            > To: dragwars@...: oaklynx@...: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:17:48
            +0000Subject: [dragwars] DW Setting Proportion

            > hey,So, I'm considering picking up DW for its use as a human-centric
            quick and simple fantasy rpg, but as I'm personally more likely to
            weave my own setting around the game system, my question is this: how
            much of the game is dedicated to the setting itself?cheers!Colin

            > Are you getting paid enough? Find out at the SEEK Salary Centre

            http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fmsn%2Eseek%2Eco%2Enz%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Atl%3Anzsc%3Amsnnz%3A0%3Ahottag%3Apaidenough&_t=757263783&_r=SEEKNZ_tagline&_m=EXT

          • Luke Walker
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
              That would be like saying that the Old World adds nothing to Warhammer Fantasy RPG as you could just use 16th century Europe.

              Though DW uses real world ideas the setting is a nice balance between these ideas and fantasy ones. Together they manage to create a good and highly playable setting that has a unique UK old school flavour like Magnamund for Lone Wolf, Titan for FF and the Old World for WFRP.

              Luke

              To: dragwars@yahoogroups.com
              From: oaklynx@...
              Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 23:03:45 +0000
              Subject: [dragwars] Re: DW Setting Proportion

              Hey Luke,

              Isn't the setting largely the Real World "with the names filed off"? I
              could be mistaken there, but that's the impression I got (especially
              with mashed up Real World names like Cornumbria).
              That's what I based my assumption on, the problem for me being that
              settings that are the "Real World with the names filed off" tend to
              make me think, "Hmm, I'll just use the Real World anyway." Either
              that, or I go completely the other way and think, "Hmm, I'm more
              inclined to make it a bit more exotic." Yeah, I'm odd that way. ;)

              So, anyone have a good educated guess as to how much space the setting
              takes up in the rulebook? Anyone know if it was expanded in the new
              publication?

              cheers!
              Colin

              --- In dragwars@yahoogroup s.com, Luke Walker <samanthaandluke@ ...> wrote:

              > Dragon Warriors can be used for any European medieval setting with
              ease. Probably almost as easy as using basic D&D for any such setting.
              Given that the setting wasn't fully published until book 6, we played
              it oblivious to it for many years.

              > On saying that I make two comments:
              >
              > 1. The setting is really one of the highlights of the game. Its
              broad and flexible, providing a base for any European medieval
              setting, yet it has an undeniable flavour and integrity that is very
              good. It also has an old school charm. I would check it out before
              deciding against it.

              > 2. The adventures can also be used sans setting. They do include
              setting details which adds a lot to the atmoshpere, but the adventures
              could be adopted in any European medieval setting of your own invention.
              > Luke
              >

              > To: dragwars@... : oaklynx@...: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:17:48
              +0000Subject: [dragwars] DW Setting Proportion

              > hey,So, I'm considering picking up DW for its use as a human-centric
              quick and simple fantasy rpg, but as I'm personally more likely to
              weave my own setting around the game system, my question is this: how
              much of the game is dedicated to the setting itself?cheers! Colin

              > Are you getting paid enough? Find out at the SEEK Salary Centre

              http://a.ninemsn. com.au/b. aspx?URL= http%3A%2F% 2Fmsn%2Eseek% 2Eco%2Enz% 2Fcareer% 2Dresources% 2Fsalary% 2Dcentre% 2F%3Ftracking% 3Dsk%3Atl% 3Anzsc%3Amsnnz% 3A0%3Ahottag% 3Apaidenough& _t=757263783& _r=SEEKNZ_ tagline&_ m=EXT

              Download today! Free Windows Live software. Chat, search, share pics and more.
            • Colin Chapman
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                So, does the DW setting differ as dramatically from the real world as
                the Old World of WFRP does? There are extremely obvious and
                setting-changing supernatural influences in WFRP; based on what you've
                said, I assume that supernatural forces must also have somehow
                dramatically impacted on the DW setting. As you've got my interest
                with that comparison, could you outline some of these major
                differences for me, please? I assumed it was significantly more
                low-key and real world-based than WFRP, but if I'm wrong, I'd be happy
                to hear it. :)

                cheers!
                Colin

                --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, Luke Walker <samanthaandluke@...> wrote:

                > That would be like saying that the Old World adds nothing to
                Warhammer Fantasy RPG as you could just use 16th century Europe.

                > Though DW uses real world ideas the setting is a nice balance
                between these ideas and fantasy ones. Together they manage to create a
                good and highly playable setting that has a unique UK old school
                flavour like Magnamund for Lone Wolf, Titan for FF and the Old World
                for WFRP.

                > Luke
                >

                > To: dragwars@...: oaklynx@...: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 23:03:45
                +0000Subject: [dragwars] Re: DW Setting Proportion

                Walker <samanthaandluke@> wrote:>> > Dragon Warriors can be used for
                any European medieval setting withease. Probably almost as easy as
                using basic D&D for any such setting.Given that the setting wasn't
                fully published until book 6, we playedit oblivious to it for many
                years.> > On saying that I make two comments:> > 1. The setting is
                really one of the highlights of the game. Itsbroad and flexible,
                providing a base for any European medievalsetting, yet it has an
                undeniable flavour and integrity that is verygood. It also has an old
                school charm. I would check it out beforedeciding against it.> > 2.
                The adventures can also be used sans setting. They do includesetting
                details which adds a lot to the atmoshpere, but the adventurescould be
                adopted in any European medieval setting of your own invention.> Luke>
                > > > To: dragwars@: oaklynx@: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:17:48+0000Subject:
                [dragwars] DW Setting Proportion> > > > > hey,So, I'm considering
                picking up DW for its use as a human-centricquick and simple fantasy
                rpg, but as I'm personally more likely toweave my own setting around
                the game system, my question is this: howmuch of the game is dedicated
                to the setting itself?cheers!Colin> > > > > > >
                __________________________________________________________> Are you
                getting paid enough? Find out at the SEEK Salary
                Centre>http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fmsn%2Eseek%2Eco%2Enz%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Atl%3Anzsc%3Amsnnz%3A0%3Ahottag%3Apaidenough&_t=757263783&_r=SEEKNZ_tagline&_m=EXT>

                > Free Windows Live software. Chat, search, share pics and more
                > http://get.live.com/

              • Gary Johnson
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                  Colin Chapman asked:

                  > So, does the DW setting differ as dramatically from the real world as
                  > the Old World of WFRP does? There are extremely obvious and
                  > setting-changing supernatural influences in WFRP; based on what you've
                  > said, I assume that supernatural forces must also have somehow
                  > dramatically impacted on the DW setting. As you've got my interest
                  > with that comparison, could you outline some of these major
                  > differences for me, please? I assumed it was significantly more
                  > low-key and real world-based than WFRP, but if I'm wrong, I'd be happy
                  > to hear it. :)

                  Hi, Colin. Probably the most obvious element along these lines is Krarth, a
                  frozen land ruled by the descendants of the Magi of Spyte and reached
                  principally by crossing the Rathurbosk, which is both a bridge and a city.
                  Shaun has some material on the Rathurbosk from his home campaign at
                  http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/8017/rathbosk.htm.

                  Hope this helps,

                  Gary Johnson
                  --
                  Home Page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gwzjohnson
                  X-Men Campaign Resources:
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 7, 2008
                    I would say yes. The cosmology of Legend differs from the real world and this shows up early in the adventures such as Sleeping Gods (Karvala is very not real world :) ) and Elven Crystals. Also, looking at the likes of Blood Sword with it Magi of Krarth and I would say that though Legend has alot of real worl inspiration, it has as much fantasy ideas as well. As such, it would be close to WFRP, though probably a little less.

                    Luke

                    To: dragwars@yahoogroups.com
                    From: oaklynx@...
                    Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 23:58:16 +0000

> [...]

                    > > > To: dragwars@: oaklynx@: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:17:48+0000Subjec t:
                    [dragwars] DW Setting Proportion> > > > > hey,So, I'm considering
                    picking up DW for its use as a human-centricquick and simple fantasy
                    rpg, but as I'm personally more likely toweave my own setting around
                    the game system, my question is this: howmuch of the game is dedicated
                    to the setting itself?cheers! Colin> > > > > > >
                    ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Are you
                    getting paid enough? Find out at the SEEK Salary
                    Centre>http://a.ninemsn. com.au/b. aspx?URL= http%3A%2F% 2Fmsn%2Eseek% 2Eco%2Enz% 2Fcareer% 2Dresources% 2Fsalary% 2Dcentre% 2F%3Ftracking% 3Dsk%3Atl% 3Anzsc%3Amsnnz% 3A0%3Ahottag% 3Apaidenough& _t=757263783& _r=SEEKNZ_ tagline&_ m=EXT>

                    > Free Windows Live software. Chat, search, share pics and more

                    MSN NZ Travel Get inspired - dream, research, plan and book your next holiday online with
                  • joakim@bredsjo.nu
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 8, 2008
                      Gary Johnson wrote:

                      > Shaun has some material on the Rathurbosk from his home campaign at
                      > http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/8017/rathbosk.htm.

                      This Rathurbosk seems to be a reallly nice place, if you use the
                      submitted link: Girls, modern cars, nice travel deals, and so on. I.e.
                      the webpage seems to be gone - a new address maybe?

                      /Joakim
                    • Shaun Hately
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 8, 2008
                        >> Shaun has some material on the Rathurbosk from his home campaign at
                        >> http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/8017/rathbosk.htm.
                        >
                        > This Rathurbosk seems to be a reallly nice place, if you use the
                        > submitted link: Girls, modern cars, nice travel deals, and so on. I.e.
                        > the webpage seems to be gone - a new address maybe?

                        Try it without the full stop on the end:

                        http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/8017/rathbosk.htm

                        So you get the page and not the geocities ads.

                        It's ten years old at this point - I really do need to update it. There's
                        quite a lot to ad including decent looking maps. I probably won't get to it
                        til Christmas, though.

                        Yours Without Wax, Dreadnought
                        Shaun Hately | www.alphalink.com.au/~drednort/thelab.html
                        (ISTJ) | drednort@... | ICQ: 6898200
                        "You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one
                        thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the
                        facts. They alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be
                        uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that
                        need altering." The Doctor - Doctor Who: The Face of Evil
                        Where am I: Frankston, Victoria, Australia
                      • Colin Chapman
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 8, 2008
                          If there are enough detours from the real world to keep it
                          interesting, then I'm happy to have my assumptions proven incorrect.
                          I'll nab a copy this coming week.

                          Thanks for all the answers and for putting up with my idiosyncracies. :)

                          cheers!
                          Colin

                          --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Johnson" <gwzjohnson@...> wrote:
                          > Hi, Colin. Probably the most obvious element along these lines is
                          Krarth, a
                          > frozen land ruled by the descendants of the Magi of Spyte and reached
                          > principally by crossing the Rathurbosk, which is both a bridge and a
                          city.
                          > Shaun has some material on the Rathurbosk from his home campaign at
                          > http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/8017/rathbosk.htm.
                          >
                          > Hope this helps,
                          >
                          > Gary Johnson
                          > --
                          > Home Page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gwzjohnson
                          > X-Men Campaign Resources:
                          > http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gwzjohnson/xmen.htm
                          > Fantasy Role-Playing Game Page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~pelari
                          > Perrenland Webmaster: http://perrenland.rpga-apac.com

                        • ndm230867
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 8, 2008
                            >Probably the most obvious element along these lines is Krarth, a
                            >frozen land ruled by the descendants of the Magi of Spyte and reached
                            >principally by crossing the Rathurbosk, which is both a bridge and a
                            >city.

                            >Shaun has some material on the Rathurbosk from his home campaign at
                            >http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/8017/rathbosk.htm.

                            *sigh* my last DW campaign (many years ago now, *sniff*) never
                            actually got to all the cool stuff I had planned in Rathurbosk and
                            Krarth - they did meet the giant, intelligent bipedal rats from
                            Rothurbosk though. I'd recently read Mary Gentle's _Rats & Gargoyles_
                            and they just seemed to fit Rathurbosk for me...

                            Cheers,

                            NDM
                          • Luke Walker
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 8, 2008
                              FWIW I would personally rate the 4 iconic UK fantasy settings as follows:

                              1. Magnamund
                              2. Legend
                              3. Old World
                              4. Titan

                              Luke

                              To: dragwars@yahoogroups.com
                              From: oaklynx@...
                              Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 11:06:32 +0000

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 9, 2008
                                That easy, huh? It was in the middle of the night, ok?! ;)

                                Thanks. Looking forward to those updates!

                                Citerar Shaun Hately <drednort@...>:

> [...]
                              • he.blackarm
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                                  The Rathurbosk in more detail?
                                  Would Shaun consider letting us upload and wikify it in the DW Wiki
                                  (181 pages and growing... http://dragonwarriors.wetpaint.com)

                                  --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, joakim@... wrote:

                                  > That easy, huh? It was in the middle of the night, ok?! ;)
                                  >
                                  > Thanks. Looking forward to those updates!

                                • Oliver Whawell
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                                    Hi guys - may I become a member of the wiki please.

                                    Oliver

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 10, 2008
                                      From: "he.blackarm" <he.blackarm@...>

                                      > The Rathurbosk in more detail?
                                      > Would Shaun consider letting us upload and wikify it in the DW Wiki
                                      > (181 pages and growing... http://dragonwarriors.wetpaint.com)

                                      I'll do it myself - I'm a member of the Wiki and haven't added anything to
                                      it yet. It just hadn't occurred to me - I love the idea of the Wiki and I'd
                                      love to contribute.

                                      Yours Without Wax, Dreadnought
                                      Shaun Hately | www.alphalink.com.au/~drednort/thelab.html
                                      (ISTJ) | drednort@... | ICQ: 6898200
                                      "You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one
                                      thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the
                                      facts. They alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be
                                      uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that
                                      need altering." The Doctor - Doctor Who: The Face of Evil
                                      Where am I: Frankston, Victoria, Australia
                                    • James Wallis
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 11, 2008
                                        Late to the party, but--the way I usually describe the DW world, or at least Ellesland, is that it's Europe at the time of the Crusades, if that world worked the way medieval folk believed it did. Superstition is real, the monsters of classical myth are real, devils are real, magic is real, dragons are real and so are the mighty heroes who slay them... but most of the time it looks just like our world did, and most people will never have any experience of those things.

                                        James

                                        Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange
                                      • eric chaussin
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 11, 2008
                                          should it be possible to download the character sheet of new Dragon Warriors, if anybody is getting it.

                                          thank.

                                          waiting to get my books that I order
                                        • Luke Walker
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 12, 2008
                                            The character sheet isn't available yet.

                                            As to your other question, this version of DW has had only the lightest of changes made. So, that's a no to most of your questions.

                                            So it will still have 5 attributes and the combat, I imagine, will be untouched.

                                            Luke

                                            To: dragwars@yahoogroups.com