Re: [dragwars] New logo--first look

  • Arakis
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 29, 2008
      Ooh shiny!

      I'd love to see the new comic strip - but perhaps that would be too
      much new goodness in one go - so I'd be happy with the redrawn one.

      Phyl.

      --
      Spelling? Grammar? I laugh at your bourgeois affectations.
    • William Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 29, 2008
        James, I like it. I am glad it is not a more "modern" design. I can't wait for DW.

        Bill

        On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Tom Cusworth <tom.cusworth@...> wrote:

        James,

        That is at once, shiny and new, yet classic and comforting! Nice job on that to Mr Quire.

        I haven't been anticipating getting my grubby paws on a game for a loooooong time as I have this one!

        I'd like to see the new version of the Sir Balin in order that the element of surprise is not spoiled before getting the book... But, if the majority vote for the new stuff, I'll probably look at that!

        -Tom

        2008/8/29 James Wallis <james.wallis@...>

        You're the first people to see the new Dragon Warriors logo, designed by
        Mark Quire. You lucky bunch.

        (All rights reserved on this, trademark of Magnum Opus Press etc. etc.:
        please do not put it up on the web or use for print, tee-shirts or
        whatever else... at least until the game's back out.)

        As soon as I get a moment to rejig the MOP website I'm going to start
        putting previews of the game up there. What would you guys like to see
        next? The redrawn version of the Sir Balin comic strip... or one of the
        _new_ comic strips?

        --
        James Wallis
        Spaaace, the games consultancy
        0776 016 5449 / james.wallis@...

        --
        Blessed are the cheapskates, for they shall see god and still have change of a fiver - Tom Holt, Valhalla.

        Want Googlemail? Ask me & I'll invite you!

      • Paul Mason
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
          kieran turley wrote on Sep 1:

          " Nice logo, perhaps could be a little bit more "medieval" maybe but nice and
          simple.

          Well, thumbing through my copy of Nicolete Gray's 'A History of Lettering' I can
          find numerous examples of medieval lettering that are quite close to this logo
          (with the exception of one letter, noted below). I like the way the A maintains
          continuity with the old DW logo, reproducing the look that appears in a wide
          variety of medieval sources.

          It's probably just my appalling combination of pedantry and interest in
          typography, but I confess I do find the lone lower case 'g' rather unsettling. My
          eye leapt straight to it. I don't think this particular letter-form existed until the
          Renaissance, so although there's nothing intrinsically wrong with mixing in a
          lower-case for visual effect (bearing in mind that, in much of the medieval
          period, there was no upper case/lower case distinction such as we have today) it's
          a bit perverse to make it this particular lower case letterform.

          On the other hand, Kieran, and this applies to myself even more than it does you:
          no one thanks you for offering criticisms of something which is already done and
          dusted.

          ----
          Best wishes

          Paul Mason
        • Alan
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2008
            This'll teach me to check the groups I belong to more regularly!

            I've missed the name deadline but I'll submit anyway

            All that Glistens
            Swordbrothers
            Cold Iron
            The King Under the Forest (inspired huh?)

            I'd like to see the new version of the Balin strip (again so that I
            don't miss out on the joy of seeing the new strips in the flesh)

            Al
          • kieran turley
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2008
              I didn't think "Nice logo, could be a little more medieval" was much of a criticism but point taken...I blame the technical writer in me :P

              Ordered a couple of copies of the book yesterday. Really can't wait to get my old gaming group from the 80s back together for a swing at it. :-)

              Kieran

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2, 2008
                You'll have noticed that the logo's typeface is the same as the one from
                the original books; the design's just been made a bit less 1980s and a bit
                more C21st.

                I'll get to the Sir Balin strip as soon as I get a free moment. Getting
                the books to print take priority!

                James

                --
                James Wallis
                Spaaace, the games consultancy
                0776 016 5449 / james.wallis@...
              • Zack
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 6, 2008
                  This gets me really excited, I can't wait for this book. Oh and I'd
                  like to see the redrawn Sir Balin comic as well. Thanks for the sneak
                  peak!

                  --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "James Wallis" <james.wallis@...> wrote:

                  > You're the first people to see the new Dragon Warriors logo,
                  designed by
                  > Mark Quire. You lucky bunch.
                  >
                  > (All rights reserved on this, trademark of Magnum Opus Press etc.
                  etc.:
                  > please do not put it up on the web or use for print, tee-shirts or
                  > whatever else... at least until the game's back out.)
                  >
                  > As soon as I get a moment to rejig the MOP website I'm going to start
                  > putting previews of the game up there. What would you guys like to see
                  > next? The redrawn version of the Sir Balin comic strip... or one of
                  the
                  > _new_ comic strips?
                  >
                  > --
                  > James Wallis
                  > Spaaace, the games consultancy
                  > 0776 016 5449 / james.wallis@...

                • skywalkerskywalker
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 8, 2008
                    For some reason I am unable to view the new logo. Am I the only one?
                    Can anyone help me out?

                    Luke

                    wrote:

                    > You're the first people to see the new Dragon Warriors logo,
                    designed by
                    > Mark Quire. You lucky bunch.
                  • John
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 8, 2008
                      --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "skywalkerskywalker"
                      <samanthaandluke@...> wrote:

                      > For some reason I am unable to view the new logo. Am I the only one?
                      > Can anyone help me out?

                      You aren't the only one, but I can't help you out :p

                      I didn't see any of the sample covers or anything either. Perhaps
                      it's because I get the messages as an email digest, although I've gone
                      to the Yahoo Groups web interface and also not seen things.

                      Assuming they're not secret, the photo albums section of the group
                      would probably be a good place for that sort of thing.

                      John
                    • simonbrayuk@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 9, 2008
                        Hi,

                         I couldn't see the new logo either.....

                        Simon
                      • ndm230867
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 9, 2008
                          <samanthaandluke@...> wrote:

                          > For some reason I am unable to view the new logo. Am I the only one?
                          > Can anyone help me out?

                          Do you recieve the messages from the group as emails, or do you view
                          it in more forum like fashion as a web page? Yahoo routinely scrubs
                          messages stored on the web pages of attached iamges etc, so if you are
                          looking in the web archives of the group you won't see the image I'm
                          afraid. And I beleive it does the same thing when composing the digest
                          email. You only get see images other users embed if you are recieving
                          individual emails I think.

                          Cheers,

                          Nick Middleton
                        • skywalkerskywalker
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 9, 2008
                            Yes.

                            James, any chance that those of us on group digest format can view the
                            new logo?

                            Luke