Re: skills

  • alexsdube
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2007
      Interestingly enough, the French version of Dragon Warriors had
      shouting orders, telling convincing lies, gaining the confidence of
      wary travellers, story-telling, leading men into battle, gaining
      influence... thus it always was in my games a frequently refered to
      stat and not the useless one it seems to have been in many this
      group's experiences.

      Cheers,

      AD

      --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Imlach" <wimlach@...> wrote:

      > Off topic slightly...
      >
      > A simple way to make 'Looks' a more useful attribute is to apply the
      following modifiers at character creation:

      > Looks Score
      > 3-5: -2 Health, -1 Perception
      > 6-8: -1 Health
      > 13-15: +1 Health
      > 16-18: +2 Health, +1 Perception
      >
      > The reasoning being that 'Looks' is an inherent and outward measure
      of health. Good looking folk tend to be healthier. Players now use
      'Looks' as a dump stat at the expense of vitality and alertness.

      to. However using skills in the same way as Stealth v Perception is
      something I've been thinking about as well.

      > One idea I had was a Charm skill for negotiating with NPCs,
      merchants etc.

      > The base score for a characters charm would be 10 + rank +
      bonuses. Bonuses are based on intelligence and looks. 13-15 +1, 16-18
      +2. The NPC is then given a rating from 1 for completely gullable to
      20 for stubborn as an old mule.

    • CHam628781@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
        It's worth having a look at the various medieval fechtbuch and seeing how two-handed swords (called longswords in the books) are deployed in those. They can certainly be used in tight places, simply by half-swording (gripping the blade as well as the handle) and using them as a sort of shortsword come club. I'd probably just ask if the player wants the character to use the pointy end (it's a shortsword) or the blunt end (it's a club).

        They were also used from horseback, Talhoffer, describes their use and it seems that they were just used one handed (they're not much heavier than an arming sword). If that's the case I would just treat them as a sword and be done with it.

        Charles

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
          should be a penalty to armour bypass and damage if you play it that way

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
            --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "kharille" <kharille@...> wrote:

            > Still, in most circumstances, if a guy with a dagger manages to
            > wound a guy with a two handed sword, I think the best he can do is
            > to do an improvised attack, bashing with the handle (d3,3) or
            > headbutt (d3,2).

            It's worth having a look at the various medieval fechtbuch and seeing
            how two-handed swords (called longswords in the books) are deployed
            in those. They can certainly be used in tight places, simply by half-
            swording (gripping the blade as well as the handle) and using them as
            a sort of shortsword come club. I'd probably just ask if the player
            wants the character to use the pointy end (it's a shortsword) or the
            blunt end (it's a club).

            They were also used from horseback, Talhoffer, describes their use
            and it seems that they were just used one handed (they're not much
            heavier than an arming sword). If that's the case I would just treat
            them as a sword and be done with it.

            Charles

            (apologies if thgis message appears twice. My emails seem to take an
            age to get through to the group - the last one took nearly two weeks).