Re: Balancing the stats

  • justintwk
    Message 1 of 55 , Aug 9, 2007
      Here's one way to weaken spellcasters slightly without changing any
      stats.

      Sorcerers, elementalists and warlocks take time to cast spells. Thus,
      their spells go off at the end of the CR, i.e. after everyone else
      have completed their actions. When casting spells, they are at 0 Def
      and Eva. If hit, they must make a concentration check (on or below
      Psychic Talent on d20) to ensure they can continue with their spell.

      They may speed up spellcasting by making a check against Ref and Psy.
      Roll d20 vs Ref and d20 vs Psy. If both are sucessfull, the spell
      goes off according to Ref or Psy score, whichever is lower. If the
      Psy roll fails, the spell fizzles out and the MP are lost. If the Ref
      roll fails but the Psy roll succeeds, the spell goes off normally at
      the end of the CR.

      --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Loh" <chloh77@...>
      wrote:

      > Hmm... maybe I did not explain myself clearly enough on the first
      email.

      > First, I am really against "roll" playing. That is why I prefer
      dragonwarriors than diablo :)

      > Second, I wish that there should be a balncing of stats so that
      there is less blasting everything like target practice. If all the
      players know that monsters have more HP and more dangerous (higher
      defence and attack), they will learn to rely more on the fighters and
      have a team mentality rather than treating those swordsman as junior
      members in the group.

      > Like to stress again that my purpose of proposing the rebalancing
      is to improve the team mentality that should be present in RPG and
      not make it like a game of diablo :D

      > It's been too long that wizard heros rule dragonwarriors. Let's
      give the fighter a chance to shine as well.
    • kieran turley
      Message 55 of 55 , Aug 17, 2007
        I like the idea of elves not being allowed to use Iron/steel. Elvish weapons and armour would be made from Bronze/copper in that case...interesting stuff. It would explain their tendency to use bows...since a flint arrow head is just as good as a steel one in most cases (Armour not withstanding).

        I think the historical origin of iron hurting elves probably lies in the series of east-to-west invasions of europe during the copper/bronze/iron ages. (which usually tailed out at England/Ireland leaving a stronger mix of cultures there). The natives usually had inferior metallurgy, especially in Ireland which had copper swords and stone axes up until the Iron age if I recall correctly...its been a few years since I studied this.

        The native culture was usually displaced to the fringes of society (forests etc) and so the "people of the woods who will carry your children away" legends grew. (raiders anyone?)

        In Ireland the legends of "Fairy Mounds" where the fae lived might have come from the fact the "fairy mounds" were sacred places where the previous culture buried their dead...maybe even the final places they defended, calling on their dead to help them.

        Course this is a mix of fact and conjecture, but I am an Irishman with a degree in archaeology :-)

        Sounds rather cool to me, instead of a powerful elvish nation you have the reminants of a displaced culture, angry and willing to defend their last home with their dying breath. The elves in this case are tragic figures with nowhere to go, driven to the edges of the world by "magic metal" that burns their flesh, and a religion that demonises them.

        Ran something like this a few years back...the elves had destroyed their culture in a cataclysm long ago in prehistory (their empire grew corrupt and had a demonic revolution). The reminants of that culture still existed in a single isolate pocket - mostly because they lived a long time - but they were almost extinct. They did have access to powerful magic but used ancient weapons and equipment since they had lost the knowledge of crafting. (they called the humans "the crafters") The humans didn't even know they were there. Made for a cool adventure in the "haunted wood" I can tell you :-)

        Used a version of the idea for a Dragon magazine article a few years ago on an elven race called "Ghost Elves". Rather fun :-)

        Kieran

        Nim <NdeSilva@...> wrote:
        No. Normal iron is what harms trolls and hags.

        Even though I have converted loads of D&D creatures to Dragon Warriors,
        one thing I did not convert was 'cold iron' as a weapon. I felt iron
        itself was good enough.

        What I do regret was not making iron something that Elves could not
        use. Which I think would make gaming more fun. But as one of the
        players in one of my games has an elf, it would be a bit unfair to him
        to say, halfway through the game, oh by the way, you can not use any
        iron anymore.

        --- In dragwars@yahoogroup s.com, "Christopher Loh" <chloh77@... > wrote:

        > Interesting parallel.... However could it be that the restriction is
        due to more that it is COLD IRON rather than manacles?

        > Recall somewhere that cold iron is thought to have properties against
        magical creatures, which I assume magic would be consider a subset
        under it...