[dragwars] Re: Balor n' company

  • Maier Robert
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 1998
      >20th rank wiv' all their stuf'. Has anyone included any divine presence in
      >their games? Hell, we even get statistics for Tor in Bloodsword bok4.

      Hm the only god that ever appeared in my games to play any role at
      all, was one of the players in a bout of megalomania. (grin, chuckle)

      Apart from that, I've always followed a RQish approach... like, those
      *really* mighty, and having lots (say, hundreds) of believers, just
      *might* qualify for divine status... in a way. Very different from
      that, however, is the god(s?) of the True Faith and Ta'ashim: the
      Unspeakable Entity that never acts upon the world but through its
      followers... (I mean, there *is* something isn't there, what with
      consecrated ground and the like)
      Balor, I would say, is more like a demon that found enough followers
      to be called a deity. So then what is a demon? (Oh come on, I'm not
      onto theology *that* much.)

      But never mind Balor, over here the otherwise thoroughly obscure
      Rimfax is going BIG...

      C U
    • Damien Wise
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 1998
        Greetings, all!

        On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Maier Robert wrote:

        > >20th rank wiv' all their stuf'. Has anyone included any divine presence in
        > >their games? Hell, we even get statistics for Tor in Bloodsword bok4.
        >
        > Hm the only god that ever appeared in my games to play any role at
        > all, was one of the players in a bout of megalomania. (grin, chuckle)

        Yep, it can get interesting. I've had a player who liked to play the
        madness rules (from book 5) in the last few of his often short-lived
        characters. The latest one was a megalomaniac (what else? :-> ) who we'd
        "un-fosilised". He'd been languishing in the Battlepits of Krarth as a
        lichen-covered statue for several hundred years...Spoke the most wonderful
        Bacchile, but he almost killed us when we dared to suggest that the
        Senentine Empire wasn't all that great. :)

        > Apart from that, I've always followed a RQish approach... like, those
        > *really* mighty, and having lots (say, hundreds) of believers, just
        > *might* qualify for divine status... in a way. Very different from
        > that, however, is the god(s?) of the True Faith and Ta'ashim: the
        > Unspeakable Entity that never acts upon the world but through its
        > followers... (I mean, there *is* something isn't there, what with
        > consecrated ground and the like)
        > Balor, I would say, is more like a demon that found enough followers
        > to be called a deity. So then what is a demon? (Oh come on, I'm not
        > onto theology *that* much.)
        >
        > But never mind Balor, over here the otherwise thoroughly obscure
        > Rimfax is going BIG...
        >
        > C U

        Hmmm, I've used the Brethren of Rimfax a couple of times, and they were
        interesting as a bunch of completely twisted "bad-guys". In retrospect,
        it was all a bit stereotyped, though dropping Hellrots out of the darkness
        onto the party was good for shock-value! (This tactic goes under the "GM's
        unkind tricks" section of "adding atmoshpere").

        What you've said above with respect to people gaining divine status
        through their huge following, personal charisma, oratry, noble birth, etc
        has given me an idea...What would it be like for the party to arive in a
        city that's in the clutches of a (megolomaniac?) ruler who's on the cusp
        of this sort of transformation? Would they instantly fall under his/her
        thrall? Whould they get driven out of town for suggesting, "He's not the
        messiah" ? What _does_ happen when this sort of thing gets to expand to
        the point where supernatural/religous ferver engulfs the entire population
        of a city/small nation? Hmmm, that's something to think over...

        Comments? (Besides "Fixed that annoying cough!" :-) )

        PS: Best of luck to those with exams at the moment (I _thought_ the list
        was getting a bit quiet).

        "Bloop!"

        Damien Wise
      • Maier Robert
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 1998
          >"un-fosilised". He'd been languishing in the Battlepits of Krarth as a
          >lichen-covered statue for several hundred years...Spoke the most wonderful
          >Bacchile, but he almost killed us when we dared to suggest that the
          >Senentine Empire wasn't all that great. :)

          Reminds me of my group's sorcerer who didn't realize for a *long*
          time that his victims could be de-fossilized again...

          >What you've said above with respect to people gaining divine status
          >through their huge following, personal charisma, oratry, noble birth, etc
          >has given me an idea...What would it be like for the party to arive in a
          >city that's in the clutches of a (megolomaniac?) ruler who's on the cusp
          >of this sort of transformation? Would they instantly fall under his/her
          >thrall? Whould they get driven out of town for suggesting, "He's not the
          >messiah" ? What _does_ happen when this sort of thing gets to expand to
          >the point where supernatural/religous ferver engulfs the entire population
          >of a city/small nation? Hmmm, that's something to think over...

          *Must* be a megalomaniac, I'd suggest. Divinity, in the concept as I
          perceive it, is more like mystic mastership - something like a
          hyper-individuality fortified with the spiritual energy of others.
          It requires the followers' actual belief from deep within their
          hearts, and that is one thing that cannot be commanded by the sword -
          even if it is held by the most cruel dictator. But that's a comment
          really... if it makes a good plot any other way, go ahead. And tell
          us what becomes of it...
          (At least, it sounds like the type of borderline scenario I've always
          liked. - "So Mr Pontiff will exorcize the demon from my sword, and
          the evil spirit from his head, only if we take part in a secret
          crusade to liberate Wyrd? Oh OK..." - So they went and cleansed the
          Isle of Wyrd. Sad story, really: Before that, it's climate was
          magically held warm (more like Sardinia or the Canaries) by the evil
          witch-king. Now that it is liberated, things have returned to their
          natural state - polar permafrost. Now that you mention it, I start to
          wonder how the inhabitants feel about it today... instead of
          suppression and thoroughly agreeable weather, they now have cold feet
          and the True Faith... hell, how many of the missionaries did survive
          that disappointment, after all? Guy was evil enough to attain undead
          status anyway... wow. Damien, thanx alot.)

          Robert

          >PS: Best of luck to those with exams at the moment (I _thought_ the list
          >was getting a bit quiet).

          Funny, how come you know?