Shields and Sorcerers

  • rumtap69
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2006
      From all of the descriptions in the DW books I'd say a sorcerer would
      need to have at least one hand free to cast a spell. This would mean
      they couldn't have both a shield and a weapon equipped when using
      magic. How do other GM's play it? Both hands free, one hand or doesn't
      matter?
    • kharille
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2006
        --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "rumtap69" <rumtap@...> wrote:

        > From all of the descriptions in the DW books I'd say a sorcerer would
        > need to have at least one hand free to cast a spell. This would mean
        > they couldn't have both a shield and a weapon equipped when using
        > magic. How do other GM's play it? Both hands free, one hand or doesn't
        > matter?

        Apart from a mystic I think they all do. Enchanters, Warlocks,
        Sorcerors and Elementalists.

        I've always thought that whilst a magic user is using unnatural
        energies and casting a spell you could see whisps of light and
        energies dancing around him when he's about to hurl a firestorm spell
        for example. Maybe with a lot of build up and all.

        How about that? Whenever magicians use magic at night you get a glow
        that alerts all orcs in the vicinity should the player characters be
        out in the open? I mean, how else do you distinguish between a real
        sorceror and a mentally afflicted charlatan?

        Whilst I'm at it, I would strongly recommend Warrior Kings. Although
        it takes forever to finish a level I like the idea of balrog style
        behemoths fighting alongside cavalry and infantry. Only on the 2nd
        level but I like what I see. Both Dave and Jamie contributed to this
        game. It's selling god damn cheap on ebay last time I looked.

        Just remember to turn your computer to 800x600 when you play the game.
        I've had to restart the game 3 times so far.....
      • kieran turley
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2006
          --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "rumtap69" <rumtap@...> wrote:

          > From all of the descriptions in the DW books I'd say a sorcerer would
          > need to have at least one hand free to cast a spell. This would mean
          > they couldn't have both a shield and a weapon equipped when using
          > magic. How do other GM's play it? Both hands free, one hand or doesn't
          > matter?

          Hmmmm, depends on how you see magic working. Thinking about it I don't know many spellcasters that would rely on a sword when magic was available. I'd a spellcaster has to have one hand free, if only to point dramatically at the enemy before turning them into a pair of smoking boots.

          Personally, I like the idea of spellcasters with shields. I never really thought about it before but I have a clear mental image of a magician, shield held up in defense, wiedling arcane fire in place of a sword.

          Kieran

        • rumtap69
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2006
            I wouldn't extend it to Warlocks and Elementalists as only Sorcerers
            are said to need occult gestures (Book 2, p 18) and Book 6 pages 57
            & 95 would indicate that the other only need to verbalise their
            spells. Besides you can still point at someone with a sword in your
            hand

            > Apart from a mystic I think they all do. Enchanters, Warlocks,
            > Sorcerors and Elementalists.
            >
            > I've always thought that whilst a magic user is using unnatural
            > energies and casting a spell you could see whisps of light and
            > energies dancing around him when he's about to hurl a firestorm
            spell
            > for example. Maybe with a lot of build up and all.
            >
            > How about that? Whenever magicians use magic at night you get a
            glow
            > that alerts all orcs in the vicinity should the player characters
            be
            > out in the open? I mean, how else do you distinguish between a
            real
            > sorceror and a mentally afflicted charlatan?
            >

            > Whilst I'm at it, I would strongly recommend Warrior Kings.
            Although
            > it takes forever to finish a level I like the idea of balrog style
            > behemoths fighting alongside cavalry and infantry. Only on the 2nd
            > level but I like what I see. Both Dave and Jamie contributed to
            this
            > game. It's selling god damn cheap on ebay last time I looked.
            >
            > Just remember to turn your computer to 800x600 when you play the
            game.
            > I've had to restart the game 3 times so far.....

          • Patrice LaFlamme
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2006
              --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "rumtap69" <rumtap@...> wrote:

              > I wouldn't extend it to Warlocks and Elementalists as only Sorcerers
              > are said to need occult gestures (Book 2, p 18) and Book 6 pages 57
              > & 95 would indicate that the other only need to verbalise their
              > spells. Besides you can still point at someone with a sword in your
              > hand

              Are you sure? I remember reading somewhere in book6 (could be in the
              Joust injury rules, I'll have to dig out my books and find out) that
              Warlocks use gestures too, but they're not automatically left-handed
              (like sorcerers).

              It's been years though, so this needs verification...

              I do like the idea of a warlock's gestures involving whatever weapon
              he's carrying!

              Patrix.
            • Nim
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2006
                Good point. Personally, I am of the view that only one thing would be
                able to be held while casting a spell. But, I will have to look in the
                books first.

                Another point though, is that on the cover of books four, there is a
                mystic holding a sword, and there is a sorcerer with both hands on a
                staff.