What would YOU like to see in a DW book 7?

  • kharille
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2006
      Lands of legends was pretty much complete if you ask me. Just a short
      introduction to the lands of legend. No need to go into detail on
      Khitai or the poles but all the fluff you need to get started on
      language and exploration of new worlds.

      So, what next? What if there were a book 7? Should we have something
      like the ADn'D Manual of the planes? If there were another 1-2 new
      character classes what would you like to see there? Maybe some other
      adventuring profession? What other content?
    • Garry Weinberger

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2006
          A manual of the planes idea seems interesting. Take dragon warriors
          to a new dimension?

          Harry

          --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "kharille" <kharille@y...> wrote:

          > Lands of legends was pretty much complete if you ask me. Just a
          short
          > introduction to the lands of legend. No need to go into detail on
          > Khitai or the poles but all the fluff you need to get started on
          > language and exploration of new worlds.
          >
          > So, what next? What if there were a book 7? Should we have
          something
          > like the ADn'D Manual of the planes? If there were another 1-2 new
          > character classes what would you like to see there? Maybe some other
          > adventuring profession? What other content?

        • ndm230867
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
            --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "kharille" <kharille@y...> wrote:

            >Lands of legends was pretty much complete if you ask me. Just a short
            >introduction to the lands of legend. No need to go into detail on
            >Khitai or the poles but all the fluff you need to get started on
            >language and exploration of new worlds.
            >
            >So, what next? What if there were a book 7? Should we have something
            >like the ADn'D Manual of the planes? If there were another 1-2 new
            >character classes what would you like to see there? Maybe some other
            >adventuring profession? What other content?

            The strength for DW for me was alwyas in the extent to which it evoked
            the feel of real world myth and folktale whilst still being a fantasy
            game; that was a delicate balance (and sometimes e.g. Books 3, 4 and 5
            it wobbled and nearly lost it, but always somehow recovered it). SO
            I'd be [b]very[/b] sceptical of something like a "Manual of the
            Planes".

            What I'd like to see is a couple of "campaign starting venues" (like
            the new version of "Saltmarsh" in the DMGII): a few locations from
            Book 6 given a region map (as was given for Northen Albion) seeded
            with adventure sights and plots (if one combines the early book
            scenarios plus a Box of Old Bones, there is a LOT to do in and around
            Aldred's Fife...).

            I don't think the game needs MORE character classes per se, but
            details on "customising" the existing ones to each of the regions (so
            Cataphract is easily distinguishable from a Knight of Albion) would be
            very welcome.

            The old D&D idea of "high level options" would be nice: a simple
            elegant system for handling larg scale warfare, long term magical
            research and advice on running political campaigns; in fact, stealing
            inspiration from Pendragon, some advice on doing generational
            campaigns and plots, so one could have a characters bloodline "cursed"
            or whatever.

            Personally, I'd also like MORE information on some of the areas skated
            over in book six. Rathurbosk, Spyte, Kingdom of Wyrd abd som eo fthe
            other areas which feature in teh Bloodsword books could, quite easily
            have that information collated and recast in a form suitable for DW.

            Mind, I still think that a sensitively done re-issue of the game would
            do quite well: it's an elegant, effective system with some superb
            writing.

            Cheers,

            Nick Middleton
          • bannistr@senet.com.au
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
              I Think that a Book 7 would be something like Book 3 or 5, (odd numbers
              pattern?) Introduce a New Proffession, with appropriate rules set, and a Large
              Adventure,

              I've read in previous posts that either a Priest or Rogue would be Viable, The
              Rogue would be a combination, Thief/Ranger taking some of the assasins ideas,
              but without the idea that killing is the point of the Career, skills focussed
              on travlling in/around towns/rural areas.

              Yes I think the Bloodsword campaigns, mildly adapted would be the best choice,
              matches the genre and the authors have alot of info in private notes that
              weren't published in the books? And tieing the Rogue into the main plot hook,
              as they did for each adventures in previous books.

              just my 2 copper pennies worth.

              This message was sent using MyMail