[dragwars] ADMIN: Makelist List Active

  • Shaun Hately
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2 2:27 AM
      I have now moved all subscribers (I hope) from the coollist server to the
      makelist server. Until I am sure this new list is functioning properly,
      people will remain subscribed to coollist as well.

      To address a few housekeeping issues. The first is that if this list is
      functioning the way I expect the subject of this message should read.

      [dragwars] ADMIN: Makelist List Active

      The '[dragwars]' prefix should be added automatically to all messages sent
      to the new list address (dragwars@...) which removes the need for
      anyone to add anything manually (such as the DW: prefix requested until
      now).

      Makelist appears to be *much* more stable than coollist - the list should
      actually have a lot more uptime than downtime now. Ideally I'm hoping a
      stable list will lead to a reasonable level of discussion - some people
      will remember just after the list started on graffiti.net and was stable
      there, we had a quite reasonable amount of talking going on. It would be
      great if we could get a reasonable level going here.

      This is your list - if anyone has any suggestions about it then please
      e-mail me or the list directly. I administer it but I am certainly open to
      any suggestions about it.

      To anyone who has a form on their page for autosubscription to the list at
      coollist, I now have the html code for a similar form for makelist - let me
      know if you want it.

      Below are the revised list guidelines. They are basically the same as those
      previously posted with just a few minor changes which are based on the
      different functionality of makelist as opposed to coollist.

      * * DRAGON WARRIORS E-MAIL DISCUSSION LIST GUIDELINES * *
      Version 1.1, July 27th 1998

      You have been subscribed to the Dragon Warriors e-mail discussion list
      (dragwars@...). To post to the list, send mail to
      dragwars@.... Please read and retain this message for further
      reference before posting to the list.

      I. What Is The Purpose of the List?

      This list has been primarily set up for discussion and exchange of ideas
      between players and GMs of the Dragon Warriors FRPG by Dave Morris and
      Oliver Johnson, published by Corgi books during the 1980s. Anything covered
      by this game is a reasonable field for discussion whether it be rules
      aspect, role playing, or the geography, politics, and history of the Land
      of Legend (this list is not all inclusive).

      To a lesser extent it is also for the discussion of other related products
      - the Blood Sword solo and multi player gamebooks also by Dave Morris and
      Oliver Johnson with Jamie Thomson as an additional author, the fiction of
      Dave Morris and Oliver Johnson, as well as any other games related projects
      they have undertaken. There is no restriction on any of these subjects
      (subject to the rules below), but the list is primarily Dragon Warriors
      based and that should be the predominant field of discussion.

      Limited discussion of other products and topics is permissible, provided it
      has occurred logically and has not been contrived.

      II. Rules of the List

      There are very few rules on the list. Please follow them.

      1) No commercial advertising - by this I do not mean that you can't
      advertise that you have books for sale. Provided the products are related
      to the Dragon Warriors game, that is not a problem. But do not post
      commercial or personal ads that have nothing to do with the Dragon Warriors
      game.

      2) No chain letters. These have no place on e-mail lists whatever their
      purpose.

      3) No virus warnings. Nearly all such warnings distributed by e-mail are
      fake and, regardless, have no place on a list for discussing FRPGs.

      4) No abusive or indecent language. Both of these just lead to massive
      arguments and flame wars in my experience, which brings me to point 5:

      5) No flaming. Criticism is fine - especially constructive criticism. But
      do not get personal and do not use inflammatory language - it is possible
      to say you don't like something without getting abusive.

      6) No attachments to mail. All messages should be plain text only. Do not
      add attachments to mail.

      7) No violation of Copyright. There is some confusion here. Even though the
      DW books are out of print, they are still subject to Copyright law. Limited
      quoting is permissible for purposes of review or discussion - wholesale
      reproduction is not, unless you have the permission of the Copyright
      holders.

      Anyone who violates these rules may be subject to removal from the list. I
      don't anticipate that happening, though. You would have to deliberately
      violate a rule with full understanding of it for that to occur - and you
      would probably have to do it more than once. The sanction of removal exists
      but it would definitely be a last resort.

      III. Housekeeping

      The administrator of this list is Shaun Hately AKA Dreadnought
      (drednort@...). You should contact him with any questions,
      complaints or queries about the list.

      This list is unmoderated - that is, all posts go directly from your mail to
      the list without any human interference. The facility does exist to
      moderate the list which would mean all posts would require approval by the
      administrator before being posted but the use of that facility is not
      anticipated.

      To subscribe to the list send a blank e-mail to To subscribe, send an empty
      message to dragwars-subscribe@...

      Please do not overquote - only quote enough of the previous message so
      people know what you are talking about. In particular be sure to remove
      signature lines and advertisements (unless you are explicitly commenting on
      them).

      If you find that the Dragon Warriors e-mail discussion list are not
      functioning, please let Shaun Hately (drednort@...) know as soon
      as possible, so he can try and deal with the problem.

      Shaun Hately (drednort@...)
      List Administrator Dragon Warriors e-mail discussion list
      (dragwars@...)

      Yours Without Wax, |'Don't knock mutant freaks. That's how
      Dreadnought |evolution works. Something new appears
      / |that might turn out to be just what the
      o=== ======================- |species needs.'
      \ |- Stephanie Tolan 'Welcome to the Ark'
      drednort@... |
      http://www.alphalink.com.au/~drednort/thelab.html
      ICQ: 6898200

      ----
      Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/dragwars/
    • Patrice LaFlamme
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 6:07 AM
        ---Shaun Hately <drednort@...> wrote:

        > I have now moved all subscribers (I hope) from the coollist server
        to the
        > makelist server. Until I am sure this new list is functioning
        properly,
        > people will remain subscribed to coollist as well.
        >
        > To address a few housekeeping issues. The first is that if this list
        is
        > functioning the way I expect the subject of this message should read.
        >
        > [dragwars] ADMIN: Makelist List Active
        >
        > The '[dragwars]' prefix should be added automatically to all
        messages sent
        > to the new list address (dragwars@...) which removes the
        need for
        > anyone to add anything manually (such as the DW: prefix requested
        until
        > now).
        >
        > Makelist appears to be *much* more stable than coollist - the list
        should
        > actually have a lot more uptime than downtime now. Ideally I'm
        hoping a
        > stable list will lead to a reasonable level of discussion - some
        people
        > will remember just after the list started on graffiti.net and was
        stable
        > there, we had a quite reasonable amount of talking going on. It
        would be
        > great if we could get a reasonable level going here.

        It *is* more stable :) To date, I had only 1 short-lived problem with
        it: suddenly, the day after I created a list, all the subscribers were
        gone, but the day after, everything was fine...
        And I hope also that there will be many discussions...

        > This is your list - if anyone has any suggestions about it then please
        > e-mail me or the list directly. I administer it but I am certainly
        open to
        > any suggestions about it.
        >
        > To anyone who has a form on their page for autosubscription to the
        list at
        > coollist, I now have the html code for a similar form for makelist -
        let me
        > know if you want it.

        Yes, I would very much like to have it please.

        Edrick The Honorable.
      • Andrew Bennett
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3 4:30 PM
          Greetings,

          unfortunately my account is being suspended.. so can someone remove my
          name from the mailing list please..

          Thanx!

          Ciao!

          + Andrew Bennett. | Rider on the Dreams of Reality, |
          + e-mail: | Shadowy walker on the road of Life |
          + kryndal@... | Seeker of the seeds of Wisdom, |
          + IRC: Kryndal #aussies | Who am I? Where am I? |
          + http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~kryndal Anon |